Fish tank backup generator!

ssappington

Been doing a lot of looking/thinking about this and finally came across what I think is perfect! Will run powerheads, return pump and heater at about 50% load! It's on sale, plus if you are an inside track member you get another $30 off... a perfect "just-in- case" at just the right price!! I LOVE HARBOR FREIGHT!

http://m.harborfreight.com/900-peak700-running-watts-2-hp-63cc-2-cycle-gas-recreational-generator-60338.html

• Like 2

Wow that is a killer price. Stuff you already know, sharing in case it helps someone. Just be sure not to plug in sensitive things like your APEX etc.. The manual will say it, but it is best to keep it drained of fuel including the carberator so it starts when you need it. Use stabilizer etc... I found out at our last power outtage that the UPS I am using does not like my generator. Live and learn. Thanks for sharing!

You get what you pay for with harbor freight. Consider yourself warned.

Also, those numbers look pretty low for what you are considering running. I highly doubt it will run a single 100w heater reliably. Good luck! :) I'd love you to prove me wrong!

A word of advice for people trying to save a buck here and there..... Stop buying frags for a couple months, use that money for something that doesn't suck.

Gee, thanks for all the love guys! FYI, I did a 4 hour test run today... the gen ran my 2 wp-40s, a 200w titanium heater, and a mag 18, used 1 gallon of gas...

I've purchased Harbor Freight tools for years, always been very happy-

I think I'll go back to lurking, rather than posting- there no joy in this place anymore

• Like 2

Gee, thanks for all the love guys! FYI, I did a 4 hour test run today... the gen ran my 2 wp-40s, a 200w titanium heater, and a mag 18, used 1 gallon of gas...

I've purchased Harbor Freight tools for years, always been very happy-

I think I'll go back to lurking, rather than posting- there no joy in this place anymore

Awesome, glad the test run went well! Nice to have insurance...

For a lot of people that generator would work great. 4 hours on one gallon of gas is not to bad at all.

For myself I don't have anything I need to keep alive in my sump. So personally in a power outage I would just move my heater into the display tank and then run one power head. If your in a similiar situation you might be able to cut the return pump completely and make the generator last even longer. IME if all that is in your sump is equipment or a refugium for algae that can go quite a long time without aeration or proper temp.

HTH