Floor support

aqua-ed

To start off, I have done tons of google searches already, so I am well versed in all the regular links...

I have a 150g tank I'd like to put inside my house. Problem is, that is almost 2000lbs of dead weight resting on my joists. I can put the tank against a supporting wall (although not my first choice of placement) but I'm worried my floor will sag and strain the tank.

The joists are 2x10s about twelve feet in length and my stand is 55x26". I have about a 2' high crawlspace with insulation in between the joists (so sister is out). The floor of the crawlspace is compact dirt with a canvas(?) tarp covering the whole area.

Anyone have any experience? Any structural engineers out there with some advice? Any engineers want to come take a look??

Thanks!

Welcome back, been awhile.

IME a 150g tank won't harm the floor at all. I had a 125g and a 90g on the same joist with a 50g sump and did not have any sagging at all. The tank was there for 4.5 years. This was on a non load bearing wall as well. I am planning on a 200g right now, also not on a load bearing wall and while I have plans for a floor drain and water lines, I am not even considering structurally enhancing the floor myself.

If you are worried about it, it is very easy to jack up the floor underneath or add support to those beams. If you don't want to do it yourself I think even a handy man could do this for you, but of course a contractor might do it a bit cleaner.

I would look into a floor drain if I were you though, oh SO nice.

JME

Most tanks we keep have a big enough foot print that the weight is not a problem I had 450g of water in 8'x2' of space in a Mobile home and it had less presher per square foot the if all my family came over for Christmas and stood in the corner yes are tanks are heavy but they are also large enought that the floors can handle it

Your floor is designed to meet a 40 lbs. per square ft. static load and to withstand another 40 lbs per sq. ft. of dynamic load. ( A 12' x 12' room will hold 40 x 144 or 5760 lbs. but it must be spread out) Based on your stand have\ing 12 sq ft. of area you should only load that area with 480 lbs. So you are over the designed load . You will not collapse your floor but it may deflect in the area of the tank. Go to home depot and by two jack stands and two concrete post supports. The jacks screw out so you simply put them under the joists directly under the stand. Or you can use two jacks and a beam to support several joists. I have experience in building and building inspection as well as a degree in mechanical engineering.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.homedepot.com%2Fp%2FTiger-Brand-Super-S-8-ft-4-in-Jack-Post-J-S-100%2F100022783&ei=RUc8VLXoO4KUoQTsoICIDw&usg=AFQjCNHcqrsK6UTGOFSjILyDQx6Jpb6wDw

Those jack posts are sweet' date='would you just bolt them to blocks or pressure treated 4x4s?[/quote']

In the crawl space, you need to set a precast block on the earth. The jack sets on that and then extends to the joists. The ones I have used have a flat plate on top that is drilled so you can put it under almost anything. They come in several lengths depending on the clearance. Here is a base. Scroll to the bottom of the add to see some more jack options.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CG8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.homedepot.com%2Fp%2FUnbranded-11-1-2-in-x-8-in-x-11-1-2-in-Concrete-Block-10550005%2F100350712&ei=81I8VJLfCpGxogTAiIHIAQ&usg=AFQjCNGVcYA-_a8qYuly3JKyeQ_3atxtLg

I have never seen that label. Where did you see that? They are used all of the time to add support or hold spot loads.

I had a remodel in Nashville that was floored using 2 x 8 on 12" centers. It met code but it had a bounce to the floor. We simply beamed down the middle of the floor and used these jacks to support the beam. This reduced the floor span by 1/2 and removed all of the flex.

Anyway for $100 it will support your tank and you can remove them if you move.

Awesome. I saw it on a couple pages, but if you watch the video on the HD page, it is called "temporary".

Most applications I saw online (and I only briefly looked into it) talked about using the jacks to lift a floor so a beam could be repaired/replaced.

Great idea, and I'm glad it will be movable with the tank. Thanks for the help!

If this is in a crawl space make sure that you don't place these direct on the ground they will sink into the dirt and I also see them getting corroded over time which would weaken them in a long term application.

Here is how I would tackle this in my home:

use a product like this to support the beam http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Concrete-Pier-Block-with-Metal-Bracket-8053112/202820094?N=5yc1vZboge

would also recommend these from beam to joist http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-Z-MAX-Galvanized-18-Gauge-Hurricane-Tie-H2-5AZ/100275721?N=5yc1vZaqzs

Make sure you beams and posts are pressure treated. Not saying that the other way won't work just giving a different option is all.

Good luck with the reinforcement =)

I think it would be cheaper to rent a jack to jack up the joist just a little next to the support point (on a pad) and then insert a post on a pad cut to the right length on your joist support point. You can also insert a thin piece of material between the post and joist to take up any inaccuracies in the post length. Then when you let the jack down, the joist will rest on the post.

I was a bit paranoid about my tank in my new house.

I bought two jack stands, pushed the floor up a bit, slapped some 4x4s in a "n" shape under and perpandicular to the joists and then took the jack stands out. Worked like a dream and now I sleep at night without worrying my tank will fall through my living room floor.

This is in my basement and doesn't get weather and is standing on the slab of my foundation.

A2C06A70-5973-43DF-B2F1-E8C95F6224FF_zps2puy2eer.jpg

If this is in a crawl space make sure that you don't place these direct on the ground they will sink into the dirt and I also see them getting corroded over time which would weaken them in a long term application.

Here is how I would tackle this in my home:

use a product like this to support the beam http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-Concrete-Pier-Block-with-Metal-Bracket-8053112/202820094?N=5yc1vZboge

would also recommend these from beam to joist http://www.homedepot.com/p/Simpson-Strong-Tie-Z-MAX-Galvanized-18-Gauge-Hurricane-Tie-H2-5AZ/100275721?N=5yc1vZaqzs

Make sure you beams and posts are pressure treated. Not saying that the other way won't work just giving a different option is all.

Good luck with the reinforcement =)

While researching videos on youtube, pretty much everyone says/uses this method as well.

Ok, I checked at both LHS, and neither sell the floor jacks, but both can get them in, so that's a go. I'm not a construction savvy guy, but I follow directions pretty well. The picture below is my thoughts for placement of the tank and jacks. What are your thoughts? (the solid rectangle is the tank, this is a top down view).

Ideally, I would love to put the tank against a wall in my house that is running parallel to the joists (as shown in the picture). But if feedback says it would be risky and a perpendicular wall as the best bet, I would change my mind for piece of mind.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13776[/ATTACH]

post-1606-14186776461_thumb.jpg