The 50gal corner pentagon full set up, finally!!

reefgeek84

Well it is finally coming together. I am begining to set everything in motion and starting to set up my 50gal corner pentagon tank.

All I can say is that it has cost me alot more then I had orginaly planned! I will be including a price list of everything, I know people always ask what it costs to get into something like this and no one really has a break down, so hopefully that will help.

I went with the corner pentagon, becase I got it for free! My step dad got it from a LFS who was going out of business, and never used it, so I convinced him to give it to me for free.

My real dad is incredible with building things from wood. We started the stand but only got the build the stand and hood and never really got to finish it, and he has become consumed with work and lives in hood river, so I finally said I need to finish it. The stand does not look like I had wanted it to, but I live in an apatment and lack proper tools to finish it like I wanted. I went the route of a roller and some good paint. It has turned out better then i thought...So overall I am pretty happy, hopefully my tank will look so good that no one will notice anything that might be wrong with the stand

Please ask anyquestions that you would like!!

With that said, I will be posting pictures and writing stuff as the pictures are posted...

A shot of the equitment.

CIMG0427.jpg

The list-

-Aqua Medic 250w HQI Halide with 15k bulb-239.95

-Coralife SuperSkimmer 65-87.99

-Mag 9.5-73.99

-QuietOne 1200-20.99

-Coralife TurboTwist UV 9W-99.99

-Visi-Therm Stealth heater-20.99 (x2, an extra one if something goes wrong with the first)

-Coralife Digital Thermometer-6.99

-Coralife Power Center dual-33.99

-Some computer fans- Freebie

-Oceans Motions 4-way squirt-150.00

Total=734.79

I do not have any unpainted shots of the stand...but here are some in the primer stage. It is now painted and I will get some pics of that up tomorrow....

CIMG0451.jpg

CIMG0454.jpg

This is what the stand is made out of its papered and 3/4", this is the same stuff they make the big road signs out of....

CIMG0444.jpg

CIMG0443.jpg

Since I purchased a light that needs to be hung from the ceiling and I did not want to do that and my hood is enclosed on all sides, I could not hang it from the ceiling in order to make it easy to take it on and off.

here is the light...

CIMG0441.jpg

CIMG0440.jpg

And here is my creation to "hang" the light above the tank...

CIMG0460.jpg

CIMG0466.jpg

CIMG0467.jpg

And the light hanging from it...Notice, I kept all the wire, so if in the furture I want to hang it I can...

CIMG0470.jpg

CIMG0469.jpg

The stand is going to be dry tonight so I can start mocking up all the plumbing for the closed loop and the drain and return from the sump...I will get pictures of all that very soon...One last shot...the tank sitting in my second shower with water making sure there are not leaks...

CIMG0442.jpg

Yep your skimmer is one of the most important keys to have a successful reef. I know that others might disagree but I also feel that a controller is very important. I really allows you to get your tank very stable with very little fluctuations in temp, pH, and others items...

When you put together your O.M. closed loop.Try to use the least amount of elbows(or turns)as possible.The more turns the more your flow is reduced

Yeah, that is a tough feat to accomplish cause everthing with this tank is so compact in one spot. I mocked up the the closed loop, and I have 4 90's to the bottom of the OM and then the back to spots have 1 90 and the front to spots 3 90's each...It will have to do, cause there is no other way I can do it with any less... I need the returns(going into the tank) of the OM to be level with the light so they do not shadow the tank. Something that helps is that only 30" of pipe from the the mag to the OM at the top of the tank. I guess we will see what happens.

I will also have the return pump from the sump making some extra flow, it wont be much but it will be better then nothing.

RC's head loss calc says I will be around 500gph. I think that will be plenty for me thats about 10x turn over in my tank.

Looks great. I like the pendant hanger!! I agree that skimmer will be a bit small. That sucks. Where did you get it? Think you can return it and get the 125?

thank you, I am pretty proud of it.

Because DrsFosterSmith is such a good company to work with, they said even though I bought it in Feb, they will let me return for full price I paid...

Rich is the man and tomorrow I am going over to his house to build a sump and we are going to talk about building a skimmer...so I may go that route I hope we can work something out (fingers) .

If not then I will see what my options are for a skimmer...I need to get one soon though, because my live rock comes into today and I am going to be putting the rock in the tank tonight and starting the cycle...

Yah elbows lower the output a little' date=' but that mag 9.5 is a good pump. I think you'll be ok.[/quote']

Thats what I am hoping. Like I said the head loss calc is claiming around 500gph, which is 10x turnover that should be good in such a compact space. (fingers)

Yep your skimmer is one of the most important keys to have a successful reef. I know that others might disagree but I also feel that a controller is very important. I really allows you to get your tank very stable with very little fluctuations in temp' date=' pH, and others items...[/quote']

Yeah, I am going to be figuring something out with the skimmer, hopefully you and I can figure something out with the skimmer if not then I will figure something else.

A controller is something that may be in the future that and a Calcium reactor.

The skimmer is the one area you should nopt skimp on if there is one. That is your key piece. Im not sure how these perform' date=' but i would say at least a euroreef rated to 90 gal would be a good place to start. look for a used one[/quote']

Euro reefs are way expensive...I think I will go with something else...