The 50gal corner pentagon full set up, finally!!

reefgeek84

Well...I am off for the day and will not be able to get to a computer until monday, however there will be lots of new pics from my project. Including pics of the sump that Rich is so kindly helping me build. It should all be up and cycling by sunday night. (fingers)

Talk you guys on Monday!!!

Well... First a huge thanks to rich and his wife for letting me come over their house and a huge thanks to Rich for helping me with my sump!!!! It looks great!!! If you have not met them, they are very nice people.

So I got the sump home last night and the hieght will not allow me to put it in verticaly and then drop it in and set it down DOH! My bad, so now I have to put it to the side and call a cabinet place and have them make me a box to set over it so it is hidden. More money I really do not have at this point. If anyone is think about doing a corner pentagon tank, makre sure it is 100gal + because this 50gal sucks to do anything with!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I am this far and I am going to make it work.

I also got my rock, so I will be posting pictures of that here real soon and tonight I will take pictures of the sump so you can see how good Rich's work is.

There was on huge piece of rock...and here are the pictures..I am not sure if it will fit in my tank...I do not want to break it apart...so if it does not fit in my tank, I may try and sell it, because I am sure that someone who has a big tank would like a piece this big, so we will see...But it is 16x16x13.

CIMG0516.jpg

CIMG0518.jpg

CIMG0521.jpg

CIMG0519.jpg

CIMG0523.jpg

CIMG0522.jpg

here are some more shots....

CIMG0530.jpg

CIMG0528.jpg

CIMG0526.jpg

CIMG0508.jpg

This is a shot of my old rock that I got about 2 years ago and it was way to hard to cure for that long so I just let it go, but there are some very cool pieces that I am going to use in my tank and just get some stuff to grow on them, they are cycling with the new rock I got.

CIMG0509.jpg

Brandon,

That sucks that the sump won't go in. Where is it getting stuck? Maybe we could cut a bigger hole in the back to get it in.

Rich

yeah, I feel so stupid!!!!!!

I put it in vetically and when I try to turn it horizontal it gets stuck. I thought about cutting holes...but I do not have saw and I live in an apartment, so cutting is not really an option. Plus I do not have a car big enough to fit the stand in.

I think if I cut a couple holes in the sand on the back sides it would fall into place. I will try and get some pictures of it tonight.

I am not sure if it is worth the trouble to figure out to cut the holes or make a box and leave it to the side, because the box to cover it will be about 40 bucks. What do you guys think? will it look really stupid?

Can you get the sump in from the back of the stand or only the front? If you could get it in on the back you could just use a small hand saw to open it up more. If its the front then thats a whole different story, because if you cut it the door will not cover the new hole and it will look like cr*p.

Can you get the sump in from the back of the stand or only the front? If you could get it in on the back you could just use a small hand saw to open it up more. If its the front then thats a whole different story' date=' because if you cut it the door will not cover the new hole and it will look like cr*p.[/quote']

Well I could drill a hole in the back and cut the back from there, I guess...but I would worry about support. I may just go with it on the side and a box to cover it, that is paitned the same color as my stand. if I really hate it in the future I can cut out sections in the stand. I mean if I cut a 11" x17" hole in the side I could slide it right in.

By the way seahorse aquarium, looked good yesterday! might want to check it out. fish looked healthy and no algae, maybe things have changed.

I was going to suggest trimming off some of the top of the sump but that would throw off your amount of water you could hold. Also I would be really worried about breaking the sump.

Not sure what else you can do at this point, could you remove the front of the stand/door, install the sump and the reinstall the front?

Rich

I was going to suggest trimming off some of the top of the sump but that would throw off your amount of water you could hold. Also I would be really worried about breaking the sump.

Not sure what else you can do at this point, could you remove the front of the stand/door, install the sump and the reinstall the front?

Rich

I thought about that to, not so much worried about water, but screwing up the stand.

No it is put toghether via nails and expoxy that is like concrete.

I will just have to go with the box on the side...it might not be all that bad, cause then I can always add stuff in the stand down the road further (chiller, ozone, calcium reactor, etc) , cause with that sump i would have no room left. So maybe this is bitter sweet and with it on the side is the best way to go. I am going to talk to the guy about building me something.

But the sump is going to work out very well, either way.

• Like 1

Guest Krux

maybe build a second tower, and have a bookshelf in it to hold reef books, and inside the pedestal you can hold the sump. you will find numerous ways to fill your tank stand, the key is making a secondary box that is attractive enough, and looks like it serves enough purpose, that you are happy looking at it long term.

i had to take the face plate and vertical suports on my stand to get my sump in, i made the same mis-calculation.

if you find you have problems with your light rig sagging, you can replace the cross piece with sch. 80 pvs which will sag less over time, especially when coupled with heat generated form the halide fixture.

Where did you but all that equipment? Some nice stuff. Did you consider a Aqua c urchin or remora for your skimmer. That may work.

I got all my stuff from Drsfostersmith. No one can beat their prices.

Thank you.

As for the skimmer, I am going to use the one I have now...and hopefully by christmas I will have enough money to upgrade to the Tunze one.

maybe build a second tower, and have a bookshelf in it to hold reef books, and inside the pedestal you can hold the sump. you will find numerous ways to fill your tank stand, the key is making a secondary box that is attractive enough, and looks like it serves enough purpose, that you are happy looking at it long term.

i had to take the face plate and vertical suports on my stand to get my sump in, i made the same mis-calculation.

if you find you have problems with your light rig sagging, you can replace the cross piece with sch. 80 pvs which will sag less over time, especially when coupled with heat generated form the halide fixture.

Yeah, I am having the box built right now to cover the sump...I am sure I will be filling the stand with something in the furture. probably a chiller and a calcium reactor (fingers) .

See I can not take supports out the whole stand is one solid piece.

As for the sch. 80pvs do they make it in 1/2"? Homedepot carries it?

So here is the progress of the closed loop. I had a scare last night when I plugged in my mag9.5 and nothing happened. I new the out let worked, cause I use it every morning. So I had no idea, it made no sense, so I called Rich to double check that I was not a retard and did not do something specail, he confirmed that I was not a retard and you do not have to do anything special...however I felt like a retard for calling him and asking him. Come to find out that the little "reset" switch in my second bathroom needed to be pushed, it works...so here is the progress on the the closed loop. I am almost done, I need a 45 and to glue a little bit more, then let it sit and by thursday I hope to have water in it.

Here is the back side, the far union/ball valve is the intake, the middle one is the outlet going to the oceans motions and the other is going to be my drain to my sump.

CIMG0540.jpg

Here is what it looks like from the top

CIMG0542.jpg

I drilled a two holes for bulkheads in the front of the tank, this gives it majority stability, I had normal holes drilled and it always wanted to lean forward...so this solved the problem.

CIMG0543.jpg

Here is the oceansmotions close up

CIMG0544.jpg

these are the back to pieces that I still need one more 45 for...I think I am going to put to 45's in the front to as well...this will allow alot of flow over the rocks and also all the streams will cross eachother's paths.

CIMG0545.jpg

And here is the light on top, I am not to worried about the pipe shadowing the tank at all...

CIMG0541.jpg

I like the closed loop design, looks innvoative in the top returns, esp. with the om, it should act more "wave" like.

Are you going to paint the back? Cover with rock?

Thank you!!!! i am hoping all works out with the closed loop, first one I have ever done... I will get pictures of the waste, what you see now is basically my second attempt at it and it is much better then the first go-round.

I will do my best to cover it with rock... I have a couple of huge pieces that, fingers crossed, will cover it. And over time I'll let the coraline grow on the back to.