Anybody running Vortech MP60?

jab502

I am thinking about setting up a tank and trying to figure out if I would want MP40's or MP60. Noise is a major consideration for the wife. I had MP40's on a tank a few years ago and the noise was bearable but noticeable. MP60's would be more water movement than I could use but was thinking of running them at low power to try to quiet them down. If anybody is using them and would be willing to let me observe their tank I would be greatly appreciative. Or share experience would be great to.

Whats the length of your tank? Only curios since I ran an MP 60 on my 72x48 tank to see if I'd like it and I did not so I sold it, I had to turn it up to much to and the fact that the wetside is fully finned ( no solid section like you find on the 40's wetside) it created a funnel sucking air from the top. I think dims of the tank play a big role as well as whats the tank going to be i.e. a reef or fish only

I'd run 4 40's versus 2 60's unless my tank is a small swimming pool like Ox has-I think his tank like 10 or 12 feet long.

I think on a longer tank it may be ok depending on the livestock too. On my tank I have corals statrting 4-6" from the side of the tank and in order to get flow to the center the unit would need to be turned up pretty good. As it stands now 2 of the 40's are running at about 40% on reef crest.

Please dont let me be the one that causes you to not get it.

Like I mentioned it also depends on what you are doing with the tank, reef, mixed reef, FOWLR etc. It was just for me I did not like it.

I might add, the reason I got it was Tim, the owner at Westside Aquarium had it on his custom tank (I think it was 120x48x27-not sure though) and he did not like it and sold it to me at his "display" cost so for 400.00 I had to try it and I too did not like it, for how my tank was set up it was not a good fit