Diving into the land of pico ( take two)...

fishmanmike01

Once again hey all.... It's been a minute since my last venture, and that did not end quite how I expected. So here I find myself once again at the brink of another adventure. Those of you who don't know, I'm a senior foreman for a roofing company so the summer has obviously consumed most of my time, but the desire to create a pest tank inspired by Islandoftiki has not been lost. Now that the rain has finally arrived I can anticipate some extra time to make this a reality. I'm already on my way. I've decided to work with glass this time and I have my glass purchased. Stay tuned..... This is gunna be exciting.....for me anyway.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its raining outside!!!

Which means time to get some work done on this little project. I picked up my glass early this week, i will be using 3/16" with this tank. The tank will have a footprint of 10" x 13" and be 12" tall. The display portion will be 10" x 10" (minus the thickness of the glass) and the rear chamber being roughly 3" x 10" for filter, pump, heater, ect... As with the my last attempt at a pico, this build will be done with stuff i have lying around already (obviously minus the glass). Well... thats the plan anyway.... we all know how thats going to work out. This will be a pest tank inspired by Islandoftiki and will house the small mantis i recieved from Reef165 several months ago. Ok enough typing, time to get to work.

Super pleased so far. The masking tape on the interior was pulled not too long after the silicone was applied but i left the supporting tape on the outside on overnight. Got up this morning pulled all the tape and cleaded it up a bit. As i said super pleased! All the sealant lines are strait as an arrow(clap). Hard pic to get with the glare but....

pico012.jpg

Forget the glare - sweet joins and seal lines Fishman! That is going to be a nice little tank.

Show us some pics when you water test it later this week.

Thank you sir. Im pretty happy with it. As the tank was curing for the day i took a drive over to Tap plastics and grabed a piece of black acrylic for the back wall. I managed to get the overflow cut the return hole drilled and slid it into place late last night. You can see the corner of it in the photo. Im working on the baffles this morning, i will post a pic when they are complete.

Whats your plan for filtration and lighting. Tank looks amazing' date=' craftmanship on this forum always amazes me[/quote']

Garrett, Thank you as well. I will be utilizing the same filter basket i made for the last pico i attempted. A little modification to it and i think it will work just fine for this project. As for lighting, i really want to do a DIY LED setup of some sort. I just need to do a bit more reserch and learn how to build one.

How much have you spent so far on all the equipment? I'd love to copy you and make my own :) please LMK

Most of the "equipment" i will be using is stuff i just have surplus of and or lying around. Pretty much so far i've spent $46 on the glass and $12 on the sealant and another $12 for the acrylic. Thats about it thus far.

That was kind of my thought. Maybe get a couple in at the shop and see what people think :)

Im game.

I got the glass from Specalty Glass in Newberg. Yes I had it cut for me although the cut edges on these are not exactally what I would call a finished edge. There is a slight wave in it. On the next one I will have them grind and polish all the edges to a finished look. It's not that bad at all though I'm still content.

Update....... As i said in an earlier post im planning on using the same filter basket i made for a previous build. Oh and i finished the baffles.

This is how it was before, sorry for the blurry pic.

Picture020.jpg

And after a little modification. I had to cut it down by about an inch, drilled more holes in the bottom and tweaked the top a bit.

pico013.jpg

And here is how it all fits together.

pico017.jpg

pico018.jpg

pico010.jpg