Shaded areas. Your thoughts and input

PowderBlue

So I upgraded to a 250 watt hqi Hamilton yesterday,

[ATTACH]13453[/ATTACH]

After the upgrade from a T5 my central point of the tank is noticeably brighter, also to my astonishment a few of my corals, a blasto, and a candy cane which was nearly dead, both look amazing, the candy can has softened back up and where there was no color, already has its green back! Insane for literally an over night difference.

Now the question of the shade, as you can see in the pic, the left and right sides are shaded a bit. With the T5s there was no shade. I wanted a full bright tank, but is the shaded area ok? Is there too much shade in my tank? The light fixture is currently 11 inches above the water line. I'm sure I could go lower with no heat issues.

Should I try lowering it after a few days? I don't want to "shock" the corals. Thanks in advance. Please try to keep this one on topic. The bulb temp is a 14k Phoenix and will be replaced within a week with the same bulb brand and temp.

post-8871-14186779099_thumb.jpg

Lower will cause more shade, i got shaded areas i use them to light aclimate things that come from leds and t5, i now have my lights about 10-11 in i burned some things at 9in, if you raise an inch you could grt rid of some shade, it also has to do with the islands compared to the center placed fixture

Let me start by saying your tank has come along way and looks great after the new rock scape. The shaded spots are not bad unless it personally bothers you. It's sometimes nice to have lower lit areas for lower lighting corals. Lowering the pendent will only cause more shaded areas since the lower the less spread. I personally wouldn't change a thing, if you want more spread you can upgrade your pendent or add an additional pendent.

Let me start by saying your tank has come along way and looks great after the new rock scape. The shaded spots are not bad unless it personally bothers you. It's sometimes nice to have lower lit areas for lower lighting corals. Lowering the pendent will only cause more shaded areas since the lower the less spread. I personally wouldn't change a thing' date=' if you want more spread you can upgrade your pendent or add an additional pendent.[/quote']

Thanks! Coming from you that's pretty huge! The pic makes the areas look darker than they actually are. I was unsure if it was good or bad. It seems from everyone's response the height is about perfect so ill leave it as it is.

Garrett I am trying to work a fan I have into the hanger I made. If I can't get it to work ill have to get creative lol. Temp sits at 78-79 I think it just uses less heater now and more heat from the lamp lol.

Than,s every one for the compliments!

Looks great to me! One recommendation I'd make though. It looks like you've got the fixture centered on the tank width, but the bulb isn't centered in the fixture. I'd move the fixture to make the center of the reflector match the center of the tank. Might just be the angle of your picture though.

Looks great to me! One recommendation I'd make though. It looks like you've got the fixture centered on the tank width' date=' but the bulb isn't centered in the fixture. I'd move the fixture to make the center of the reflector match the center of the tank. Might just be the angle of your picture though.[/quote']

I have it as close to center as I can get it. The center of the bulb is a out a half inch to one side. I'm going to make different brackets that I can "slide" the fixture. As of now the hanger is pretty cool, I can literally swivel it out of the way! I may end up adding another fixture. Not 100% sure yet. Might just for once let it be haha.

As far as sps goes... I'm making the plunge!!! This weekend I'm buying my first frag :-)

Really outstanding looking, now you need a pair of mp10's, then a120 starfire then more lights then the mp40's, then a new sump , then 400g ect lol.. the bug has got you now Lol! But really back on topic, Its Looking Great keep it up and like has been said so far the shaded areas can work you, low light coral or acclimating new LS to the light.

Really outstanding looking' date=' now you need a pair of mp10's, then a120 starfire then more lights then the mp40's, then a new sump , then 400g ect lol.. the bug has got you now Lol! But really back on topic, Its Looking Great keep it up and like has been said so far the shaded areas can work you, low light coral or acclimating new LS to the light.[/quote']

The mp 40 will be my next big purchase. I'm planning a 90 build this winter/spring so it's on the list haha! But I agree I've been but by the bug! I'm going to give sps a try soon and see how that goes. Pretty blue sticks haha! Thanks for the props on the tank! We need to get together soon so I can see all your setups!

IMAG0662_zps92dcde52.jpg quick easy

Awesome! Clip on it might be! I have 3 fans I planned on building into a canopy so i could use those. But your idea is super easy! I like easy. Haha

Yeah i planned on computer fans in a hood ended up not getting one and had to make it work lol and its just a little cleaner then a stand alone fan blasting lights lol

tank looks great love the aquascaping i think that some shade is important i like all the critters that grow in the shaded areas that wont grow in the high lighted areas like feather dusters and such but there also great for other corals and acclimating so i think its important to have some shaded areas but you could always add a t5 supplement light

I cooled my halides with 3 120mm computer case fans - with a 12v power supply run to a fan controller. I had the fans lying around, bought a $2 12v charger from goodwill, added a Molex conector that I clipped off something else and bought the fan controller off newegg for $10 on sale. The controller had 6 dials, so I vented my under-tank cabinet with 2 more fans and mounted the controller in the canopy - looked sweets and had the fans dialed to whatever speed I wanted for $15...

Awesome, easy, diy mod. Wish I had taken pictures.

I cooled my halides with 3 120mm computer case fans - with a 12v power supply run to a fan controller. I had the fans lying around, bought a $2 12v charger from goodwill, added a Molex conector that I clipped off something else and bought the fan controller off newegg for $10 on sale. The controller had 6 dials, so I vented my under-tank cabinet with 2 more fans and mounted the controller in the canopy - looked sweets and had the fans dialed to whatever speed I wanted for $15...

Awesome, easy, diy mod. Wish I had taken pictures.

I have three fans too lol, already have them molexed to one of my old shop light chargers. That's what I wanted to use it I don't have a canopy. I really like the open top, and now that my light is elevated I can see right in my tank

From the top which I really like! Might get the controller and do an intake and exhaust fan through my stand/sump area.

Right on dude! The 12v case fans are way better than the AC ones. The controllers are usually lighted with LEDs, but you can disable that crap, unless you like the whole Darth Vader life-support-chest-panel look...hmmm...after that descriptor I might have to look into that...:rolleyes:

I think I am going to do a floating canopy - just enough structure to hide wires and flip up on hinges. May or may not add fans to this as I am going LED and should stay cool enough. Can only tell in testing..but I will definitely vent the bottom enclosure.