Cryptic tank filtration.

Kasasah

I know Steve Tyree was doing this, basically its a sump or attached tank with live rock and sand in it that is kept in the dark. You will get sponges, feather dusters, tunicates, etc that will grow in it. Personally not worth the effort imo, you get the same thing happening under your rocks in the main tank.

I ran a cryptic fuge about 4 or 5 years ago on my system. If you have space extra filtration more diversity cant hurt. Th problem I had was that it was hard to keep clean. I should have utilized egg crate to keep the rock off of bottom. Then I could have easily siphoned under the rubble.

I'm interested in the cryptic because when I first started the hobby I had a rock sitting in a bucket of saltwater for two months. No light, no flow, nothing. When I opened it up it was covered in a white sponge. So this is how I look at it. Grass needs light and water to grow. Algae need light and water to grow and consumes nitrates and phosphates to help it. These organisms living in complete dark are taking stuff from the water column to grow. No need for light. The benthic zone of a reef is larger then the surface reef. That's how it keeps up and keeps it clean. I'm no college grad and I don't have a degree so call me an idiot if I sound like one

Sent from Samsung Galaxy SII

+1 on elevating the rock on eggcrate to siphon

I'm actually not going to be siphoning it. I'm using sugar fine sand for the beneficial bacteria. Dsb. My whole system will consist of 135 display overflow to 55 cryptic zone Tank, overflow to 55 gallon Refugium, overflow to 29 gallon sump, then reeflo snapper back to the display.

They are used alot in non-photosynthetic / azooxanthellate tanks. You might wanna check in posts/threads/forums dedicated to those type of tanks. The Reef Farmers site (Tyree) definately has a large write-up about them. In the REEF HOBBYIST MAGAZINE that had the PNWMAS article in it about the "clownhouse" there is an article on non-photosynthetic corals/tanks which has a nice pic of a smaller one. He talks in the article about "inoculating the refugium with some sponge rocks" and how they quickly grew to fill his 'fuge, also developed a large population of pods in it. He says "A cryptic refugium helps filter the large amount of particulate food present in my azooxanthellate system". Just tryin to help. I personally have thought about having a small 10g/20g one just for something new to try, but I have several types/colors of sponge growing all throughout my tank. Basically any overhang or shaded/dark area has one type or another.

I have a 125g mixed reef that is attached to a 35g refugium and a 65g cryptic tank. Both feed into a 75g sump(which actually holds about 30g of water). It has been the same for about a year now.

I did not seed my cryptic tank. I see very little sponge growth at all, even though my reef display has a very good amount of sponge growth in it. I have stuck a non photosythetic gorg in my cryptic tank but other then that there is no sign of life in there.

My refugium is over flowing with pods and worms. My reef is doing great 0 complaints. But other then the filtration from the 100 lbs of liverock I am not sure the cryptic tank is worth the electricity it uses.

My plan now is to replace the floor in that room, and take the cryptic tank off line, instead hooking up a 90g which will be a display refugium of sorts. No fish, but some nice algaes and some type of shrimps that will breed for me.

JME

I have a 125g mixed reef that is attached to a 35g refugium and a 65g cryptic tank. Both feed into a 75g sump(which actually holds about 30g of water). It has been the same for about a year now.

I did not seed my cryptic tank. I see very little sponge growth at all, even though my reef display has a very good amount of sponge growth in it. I have stuck a non photosythetic gorg in my cryptic tank but other then that there is no sign of life in there.

My refugium is over flowing with pods and worms. My reef is doing great 0 complaints. But other then the filtration from the 100 lbs of liverock I am not sure the cryptic tank is worth the electricity it uses.

My plan now is to replace the floor in that room, and take the cryptic tank off line, instead hooking up a 90g which will be a display refugium of sorts. No fish, but some nice algaes and some type of shrimps that will breed for me.

JME

Interesting. You would think that the sponge growth would've transfered from display to a zone with a more optimal environment. Maybe cryptic sponges are different than the ones we all seem to get in our displays. On ReefFarmers web site Steve sells frags of sponges for starting cryptic zones and I have at least two of the kinds he sells, or at least they look the same (a Blue one and Yellow one) so I don't know. However I have A TON more white "fuzzy" and "long tube like" ones in my tank. With a zone thats SO "established" I guess is the word, it'd be cool to a least try to seed it with one or two porpouse made sponge rock "frags" before giving up on it. But it sounds like you've waited a fair amount of time for it to become benificial. Not that it hasn't been.

An important thing to keep in mind is where non photosynthetic organisms get their nutrients. Simply put, if an organism in your aquarium isn't getting nutrients from dinoflagellates (the term which is now being used to describe what we all call "zooxanthellae") then they are getting nutrients from the water column. So even if there is a spot without light, it won't be a very hospitable place for NPS life without nutrients and flow. Make sure the cryptic tank has plenty of flow and that you have enough nutrients (what we call waste) to support life in the cryptic zone. Theoretically, if there is enough flow and all of the right factors for your cryptic tank... and there STILL isn't any visible growth (assuming you know it has been seeded with the proper biodiversity) then that is GOOD! Because that means your system doesn't produce enough waste to support your cryptic zone.

On a side(and less important) note, the reason that the scientific field is moving to calling "zooxanthellae" "dinoflagellates" is because the term "zooxanthellae" was coined by scientists when they weren't aware what type of organisms were holding symbiotic relationships in sponges and corals... so they applied the blanket term "zooxanthellae." Now that we have correctly identified the true identity of the symbionts... "zooxanthellae" is just an outdated term. That being said, its popular enough that people know what your saying. So forgive my anal retentiveness :)

true for oxx155, looks like an intense setup.

I'd recommend if you're putting a sugar DSB in the cryptic tank (not a bad idea, I'm a huge fan of the remote dsb, and it certainly doesn't need the light). make sure there's an easy way to tweak the plumbing on the fly to take that tank out of the system. that way when (not if) you replace the dsb, you can leave the rest of the tank working as standard while you spend a few hours (or days) replacing the sand bed.

just my $0.02

How often does one replace the sand in say a 5g bucket/20g long RDSB? It was my understanding they take time to even get going and last for quite some time.

You're right, I'd expect maybe 2-3yrs and use a pipe or something to leave a small core undisturbed during the change-over if possible

Sent using Forum Runner

From my understanding dsb should never be touched or replaced. So that's what i'm doing.

Generally true, but in a non-ocean system, it's partially acting as a nutrient sink (and partially what we actually want it for), so at some point, the sink is full of dishes. if you stir it up as part of the system, you're probably doomed. hence my idea is this post. That, to me, is the perfect implementation of a dsb and would work great in a cryptic filtration setup