Power Outage: What would you have done?

alittlemark

So I lost power for about 4 hours last night. I ended up running an extension cord from the running car (which has a 120v plug in it) to a Koralia powerhead in the tank. I figured that moving the water around, and disturbing the surface of the water somewhat was going to be better than nothing. The car didn't put out enough amps to power the recirculating pump.

The tank is 90gal so I wasn't too worried about the temperature falling too far, too fast.

I am wondering, what would you have done in this case? I probably would have gone to something more drastic if I thought that the power outage was going to last longer, but I really don't know what that would be.

Things seem to be back to normal and healthy this morning. Crisis averted.

+1 on the battery backup, I have one also, I would let my tank sit for a while (maybe an hour or 2) then run only the necessities with the backup so it can last as long as possible. You would be surprised how long a tank can sit stagnate. My 90 sat with no lights or flow for almost 6 hours when it tripped a breaker and everything was fine.

+1 on how its stocked too, ive had the power go out two seperate times for a few hours wih no ill effects. Now Upscales when a pump on the fish system broke the foot long queen trigger sucked all the oxygen out of her tank in a few hours. Sad caused i loved that fish. But yeah as long as you dont got any monster fish a few hours wont kill. Im going to look into those battery back ups though. You did better then i wouldve in that situation fast thinking running the cord from car, wouldve sucked though if you kiled your battery

Last time we had a big power outage I stayed up all night with the tanks. I didn't have any back ups or batterie air pumps so I spent all night taking the pasta strainer in and out of the water to get oxygen in the tank. It worked and kept my salt and fresh tanks alive for eight hours. Batterie air pumps are a must for this winter.