70g Rimless build

Tycho

Hello, I wanted to show a little of my new tank. It took me about 3 months from start to finish.

It was a tank transfer from an NC28 to the 70g Cadlights Artisan II. I have been doing lots of customization to the system over the last few months and documenting most over on RC before I discovered PNWMAS, so I thought I could share some of the highlights of my build to a more local crowd. :D

Here is the tank I started with.

012.jpg

Plenty cramped inside so my only option was to upgrade

So I decided on this slick little number.

002.jpg

70g Cad Artisan II (10mm rimless starphire)

003.jpg

The plumbing that came with the tank seemed fine at the time and I installed it and filled the tank just to find out it was way too loud for my little apartment.

This was the kit.

005-1.jpg

082.jpg

I hated it so much that I drained the tank and tore out the plumbing and made a herbie instead.

016.jpg

014-2.jpg

Running totally silent now!:)

Here is the tank after I refilled it and added rock and sand.

Drilled the rocks and cemented in acrylic rods to keep them sturdy.

080.jpg

081-1.jpg

082-1.jpg

I mixed some of my nicer live rock with some dry pieces I got from reefcleaners to do the aquascape.

004.jpg

Very nice setup, you've put a lot of thought into it and that will pay off in the end! I'm quite the lurker both on here and RC and I've actually been following your build on there. I'm digging the loc-line return and the "custom" mount for your RKE. Keep up the good work (rock2)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Looks nice! Great dimensions, and nice addition of herbie the lovedrain.

Now just match the livestock to the tank! Ditch the hydnophora and leathers.

actually I am planning to get rid of one of my Hydnophoras and some frogspawns and a few other things. This tank is too high flow for some of my corals and I've been collecting alot of acro frags. I just need to take some pics to show everyone.

No love for the leather? looks sleek man.Are you running any GFO in this tank and how do you' date='like the razor as far as light spread?[/quote']

Yes I installed 2 Avast reactors and one of their Kalk stirrers. DIY all the way!

006-3.jpg

Finished products!

001-5.jpg

003-2.jpg

The kalk drips from a second ato container. So I have two aqualifters that run on my RKE with a ph alarm.

If PH is < 8.3 then ATO drips Kalk

If PH is > 8.3 then ATO drips RODI

this seems to work out pretty good except when im right at 8.3 and my float switch opens. then I get some back and forth clicking of the outlets till it closes the switch.

The Razor is AWESOME! I had mine running about 3 days after Marine Depot got their first batch and it has colored up all the sps I had that browned out under my NanoCube Led's. The spread is perfect for my 3' x 2' tank. It's like it was made for it. With the 2 channels I can simulate different colors. When I get more organized, I would like to post growth/color pics of all my new frags each month with the light. I really wish I had a dslr camera though.

Very nice setup, you've put a lot of thought into it and that will pay off in the end! I'm quite the lurker both on here and RC and I've actually been following your build on there. I'm digging the loc-line return and the "custom" mount for your RKE. Keep up the good work (rock2)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thank you!

The mount was like 15 bucks from Panavise and works really well. The RKE buttons are hard to push, so I thought the mount might wobble and flex alot, but its pretty rigid and hasnt torn off my cabinet yet lol!

006-1.jpg

The locline hose I made was from side outlet nozzles I got as pieces from marine depot. About 30 bucks or so worth of parts, but I ended up getting extra stuff I didn't end up using so it could have been cheaper.

My only gripe is that its reeeeealllly hard to adjust the nozzles without messing some up on the other side while tweaking it... So after 2 hours of messing with it, I got it to look straight and flush to the water line, but now every 20 min or so I get a big vortex from one outlet and lots of bubbles! My fish love chasing them so I have left it that way for their enjoyment lol!

006-2.jpg