Low dKH help

shaywood

I've been working hard lately to increase my calcium using my calcium reactor. My Ca level is at 420, tank PH is at 7.9, but my dKH has dropped to around 6. I useKalk drip with top off as needed. Is there something different to increase the dKH? I thought increasing the PH with the kalkwasser drip would also increase the dKH?

125 Acrylic Tank 48x24x24

Approx 35 gal Sump/Refugium

Refugium has 24/7 light with 55watt PC

2x 400w MH 10k lights running 10hrs/day

2x 110w VHO Super Actinics running 12hrs/day

Phosphate Reactor

Calcium Reactor

Kalk drip with top-off

Closed loop Sequence Dart Pump 12hrs/day

Mag 7 Circulation pump 24/7

Additives: Phytoplankton/Coral Vite weekly

10 gal water change weekly

Temp ranges: 78 - 85

Nitrate/Nitrite/Ammon: 0

PH: 7.9 - 8.2

P04: 0

Ca: 420

dkh: 6

It should be keeping up. Something seems wrong. A calcium reactor supplies calcium and alk. If its keeping your calcium in check, it should also keep alk in check. Do you notice any percipitation? that would be like a white cloud in the water. How strong are you mixing the kalk? How stocked is the tank and what kind of corals?

You can add baking soda to supplement alk. You might notice a slight dip in pH, but it will subside in a few hours.

Or you can bake some baking soda to make washing soda (or you can buy it). Washing soda will increase pH slightly.

Another product is Kent Superbuffer dKH. This will also raise pH.

I've been working hard lately to increase my calcium using my calcium reactor.

That is the problem.

Do as impur says and buff it up with an alkalinity supplement.

The reactor is better at maintaining CA/Alk, rather that raising it.

Have you done a water change lately? It sounds like your doing everything else right.

Shawn if you increase your CO2 in your reactor, it will increase the alk output. I agree some alk buffer or kalk to bring it up, and using the reactor to keep it their is a good idea, but you will want to increase your CO2 bubble rate or your alk will likely fall again.

In general, more CO2 = more alk,,,

more affluent water flow = more CA

Alk??

Hey Shawn,

What salt are you using?? I've had problems with alk and the problem was the salt brand I was useing. If you have water made up, test the alk. I've had alk in freshly made water come out at 5 dkh. So no matter how much water you change, the alk is low. If it is low, buff it up with some alk buffer and then do your water changes. When your alk is low in your tank, remember to raise the alk slowly. You don't want to shock your corals. Hope that helps.

If you keep having problems I would suggest a simple large water change and keep your dosing simple, it sounds like you may be dosing to much or some other product may be causing some unwanted effects, worst case, 40% water change and ease off all the dosing, my tank is topped off with kalk and has a cal reactor, nothing else is added to water other than mag when needed to get wc waters mag up, keeping it simple is your best solution.