Why the nitrates??

PowderBlue

Well your defiantly not over feeding' date=' so that would be my next guess. If not a bad test kit maybe dead spots?[/quote']

Dead spots is def a possibility, I was thinking about adding another powerhead to only flow behind my rocks. I do weekly to bi weekly water changes of 20 gallons on a 40breeder so I'm confused on how they could climb to this high. Also I've not lost any coral or fish either

Change the socks at least weekly. Add some more rock. I would also add a deeper sand bed' date=' maybe in a refugium or extra tank away from the main display[/quote']

I have a 4 inch bed in my fuge along with about 15 pounds of rock in the sump, in order to go deeper on my tank I'd have to empty the entire tank and start fresh with new sand right? Lotta work lol

I still have the eel' date=' I feed him once to twice a week, uncooked shrimp, scallops, I change my socks like once every two weeks maybe I'll need to step that up now too.[/quote']

I would think that might be the problem. Even if the eel eats everything it still is going produce waste.

I change my filter socks every 3 days.

I would think that might be the problem. Even if the eel eats everything it still is going produce waste.

I change my filter socks every 3 days.

So I'm assuming If i change my socks every few days ( I have like 10 of em) and stay on top of water changes it should be ok right? Or should I be worried?

I would not let it keep you up. It is the swing that will get you. My tank had high nitrates for a month or more. They got that way slowly so my tank didn't really notice it.

I agree. I'm dealing with hi nitrates right now. Been changing socks daily and put a nitrate reactor on the system. Because of the slow climb nothing was affected.

On another note eels are extremely messy. I have 4 in my fowlr tank and the nitrates are always extreme.

I agree. I'm dealing with hi nitrates right now. Been changing socks daily and put a nitrate reactor on the system. Because of the slow climb nothing was affected.

On another note eels are extremely messy. I have 4 in my fowlr tank and the nitrates are always extreme.

Dang eels!! So cool but such slobs lol