New maxima advice.

matty

Yesterday while surfin the web I realized I had not checked on Golden basket in a long time. They had a maxima like I have always wanted with no bids, I ended up winning for an awesome price!

Their pic:

KGrHqZqgFKgHZ-qHBQT9CJpmCQ60_12.jpg

Here it is in the tank:

2012-09-13124217.jpg

I placed it on a rock up high since I am running t-5 lighting and to my pleasant surprise it attached fully within about a half hour of being put in the tank. This will be my first attempt at keeping a clam so any advice would be awesome! I figure with it being the only clam and only having 2 small sps, water changes should work for quite a while to keep calcium up? I change 5-10 gallons a week using IO salt.

I hope I can keep this guy happy for a long while. I'm super stoked on it!

Glad it attached fast for you. Just remember not to move it now. If you tear the byssal threads by trying to move it, it more than likely will die. Maximas are meant to be on rocks, so good job at placing. My only thought would have been to attach it to a small rock so you can move it. I would have started it low in the tank just so it could get used to the lights. It's in the past though. Just keep up on water changes and watch your levels and I'm sure all will be well.

People seem to have varying luck with them. I was not one of the fortunate ones :( I had 4 small maxima's about 2 inches long and all of them died. I only have one crocera clam now who is still doing good, but he's like 4" across. Some things i've learned about them:

1. Cowries are NOT clam safe. I had a larger cowrie snail and it knocked one over and proceeded to eat it. LAME

2. If they fall over for some reason, pick them up right away. One fell over and I think and died for that reason (didn't see it fast enough).

3. Thrive sells a clam holder kit, don't bother with it, they won't attach if they are smaller maximas. You are doing better as yours attached to the rock already.

4. You need to spot feed them once in a while with Phyto plankton (can also area feed in the water colum but makes your water messy faster). It has to be very small sized. I'm forgetting, but smaller micron size the better. They can't live off of just light when they are small. Once they hit the 3.5-4" mark they can rely on photosynthesis more than feeding.

Good luck, I hope yours does great!

That sucks about your clams Blue Z Reef, sorry to hear. Thanks for the advice and good thoughts. This clam is a bit over 3 inches (part of the reason I bought this one) so it should be a bit more hearty. Golden basket was keeping it under a 4 bulb t-5 just like mine and about the same distance from the light I placed it, I figured I would try to mimic the condition they had it.

I ordered some of the Reef Chile BRS sells, would that be small enough for the clam or should I get something else?

I am running t-5 lighting and to my pleasant surprise it attached fully within about a half hour of being put in the tank.

Congrats on the maxima! Can you tell me what's the wattage/length/bulb configuration of your t5's? It looks good and healthy.

People seem to have varying luck with them. I was not one of the fortunate ones :( I had 4 small maxima's about 2 inches long and all of them died. I only have one crocera clam now who is still doing good, but he's like 4" across. Some things i've learned about them:

1. Cowries are NOT clam safe. I had a larger cowrie snail and it knocked one over and proceeded to eat it. LAME

2. If they fall over for some reason, pick them up right away. One fell over and I think and died for that reason (didn't see it fast enough).

3. Thrive sells a clam holder kit, don't bother with it, they won't attach if they are smaller maximas. You are doing better as yours attached to the rock already.

4. You need to spot feed them once in a while with Phyto plankton (can also area feed in the water colum but makes your water messy faster). It has to be very small sized. I'm forgetting, but smaller micron size the better. They can't live off of just light when they are small. Once they hit the 3.5-4" mark they can rely on photosynthesis more than feeding.

I haven't heard of cowries eating clams before. My guess is that the clam was on it's way out and the cowrie finished it off. I often hear that shrimp eat clams - not true either, unless the clam is dying. I have skunks, coral banded's and peppermint shrimp in my tank and never have (or have had) issues with shrimp.

I often hear this, "clams need to be fed phyto plankton" - not true. Once tridacnid clams reach about 1" in size, they no longer require phyto feedings. Clams do require minor trace nutrients to grow and thrive. Aside from the regular water chemistry parameters necessary for keeping sps corals, your tank should have traces of NO3 and PO4. This can be achieved by feeding your fish regularly, and your fish pooping - yes fish poo is the perfect food source for your clam(s).

Make sure you keep a higher SG. I prefer 1.0255-1.026 (refractometer), although clams can/will tolerate lower SG's and can even be freshwater dipped to remove parasites such as PM.

Here's some good reading on tridacnid clams.

Hope this helps-

Congrats on the maxima! Can you tell me what's the wattage/length/bulb configuration of your t5's? It looks good and healthy.

I haven't heard of cowries eating clams before. My guess is that the clam was on it's way out and the cowrie finished it off. I often hear that shrimp eat clams - not true either, unless the clam is dying. I have skunks, coral banded's and peppermint shrimp in my tank and never have (or have had) issues with shrimp.

I often hear this, "clams need to be fed phyto plankton" - not true. Once tridacnid clams reach about 1" in size, they no longer require phyto feedings. Clams do require minor trace nutrients to grow and thrive. Aside from the regular water chemistry parameters necessary for keeping sps corals, your tank should have traces of NO3 and PO4. This can be achieved by feeding your fish regularly, and your fish pooping - yes fish poo is the perfect food source for your clam(s).

Make sure you keep a higher SG. I prefer 1.0255-1.026 (refractometer), although clams can/will tolerate lower SG's and can even be freshwater dipped to remove parasites such as PM.

Hope this helps-

Nice. Thanks for the advice. My fixture is a 4 bulb 36" t-5 so 39w over a 40 breeder. I am running all ATI bulbs, 2 blue+, 1 coral+, and 1 fiji purple. The fixture also has 15x1watt led's down the middle running the length of the fixture that I might replace with 3 watt led's.

Nice. Thanks for the advice. My fixture is a 4 bulb 36" t-5 so 39w over a 40 breeder. I am running all ATI bulbs' date=' 2 blue+, 1 coral+, and 1 fiji purple. The fixture also has 15x1watt led's down the middle running the length of the fixture that I might replace with 3 watt led's.[/quote']

I have the exact same combo over my 40b ;)

Hope this helps-

Huh, well everything I read said at least 3 inches or needs some sort of nano food source like phyto...(scratch)

I was surprised the cowrie did it, but it was fine in the morning and being eaten by the cowrie by my lunch break a few hours later. I would be weary of adding them...plus they always bowl over all your corals lol, I'm not buying big ones anymore. Just my personal experience.

I agree with Shaun. It is amazing how fast a clam will die . Not from Shimp and snail and fish. These things may irritate a clam and keep it from fully opening over a long period , eventally dying but a fast kill is something different. My experience Clam eating Flat worm. Killed 2 of my clams in under 3 hours.

Nice. Thanks for the advice. My fixture is a 4 bulb 36" t-5 so 39w over a 40 breeder. I am running all ATI bulbs' date=' 2 blue+, 1 coral+, and 1 fiji purple. The fixture also has 15x1watt led's down the middle running the length of the fixture that I might replace with 3 watt led's.[/quote']

You should be fine with this combo. Even better with the 3w LED's.

Congrads on the clam (clap) I want to try one after getting my new bulbs.

How was your experiance with Golden Basket? Did you have it shipped or pick it up?

Golden Basket is awesome. I've only picked up from them, but it's been a great experience both times. Kinda far drive, but worth it if your picking up a few things. Only downside is they won't sell anything on the spot, just ebay sales only.

Congrads on the clam (clap) I want to try one after getting my new bulbs.

How was your experiance with Golden Basket? Did you have it shipped or pick it up?

I like them. They are located in Tigard so it is a bit of a drive but sure beats paying shipping! Their set up is very cool to check out, kinda like a coral warehouse!