Which power head for a 29 gallon BioCube

Derbird

Which power head for a 29 gallon BioCube  

1. 1.

• Hydor Koralia Evolution 550
    • Tunze NanoStream 6015
    • Other, Please Explain

I am setting up my BioCube and as most do would like more flow in the tank. I have it narrowed down to two power heads that seem good and I can still afford (nutty)

So far I like the

Hydor Koralia Evolution 550

Tunze NanoStream 6015

I know a MP10 would be ideal but if I'm going to spend that much it will be for LED's for this bad boy.

I can get the Koralia for $34 and the Tunze for $48. The reviews for the Tunze seem much better but it costs more. Is the extra expence really worth it? Or just go with the Koralia and buy an extra frag (whistle)

Thank you for any advice :)

My vote is the Tunze. Aside from the mp-10 which I have also owned, the Tunze 6015 is the best pump I have used. The mount and the way the pump moves in the mount are awesome. I hate Koralia pumps because of the mounts they use. If you get the Tunze buy it from glassholes.com They sell them for $39 with free shipping.

http://www.glass-holes.com/Tunze-Turbelle-NanoStream-Pump-6015-TZ1217.htm

Looks like the Tunze is going to win LOL. Thank you for the link, I like the free shipping on orders over $25 now that is friendly :)

I did think about upgrading the return pump but I have read in many threads that lots of people have huge heat issues with the BioCubes after upgrading the pump. Plus having a secondary flow source sounds pretty nice as well, I like having more controll over where the flow goes.

Toby, what rotating nozzles are you talking about. I don't think I have run across those before.

Hydor makes one the only problem I had with mine on my biocube was that it would slow down and eventually stop then you would have to pull it off and clean it and would work great again but after several cleanings the conetor peice began to wear out and it started to fall of on its own. Great Idea but is a bit more maintenanceis all =)

There's another type called the spin stream' date=' I've heard it works better than the Hydor. I've never heard of the return pump overheat. My first tank was a biocube 8 14 and the pump upgrade was the first thing I did.[/quote']

I just googled the spin stream, looks cool. I'll give it a try down the road.

I read about the pump over heating the tank on Nano Reefs, but I do try to take that forum with a grain of salt. Its a good source of information but a lot of new and young people on there.

I've got an upgraded pump on my tank along with the Led's and it doesn't get any hotter than 79 max but my tank's threshold is 78 with the reefkeeper. I've tried the Hydor piece before and just like Jeremy said it will gum up and get stuck after a little while. Then the piece will end up breaking when you try and clean it. I'm a little biased on this since I have a MP10 on my biocube but I would steer clear of the hydor if your looking for a powerhead to setup onto a controller. They will turn on backwards frequently. They supposedly had all of the bugs worked out on them with the newer line but I had a few that were replaced right away from the same issue happening. Can't wait to see the build get going! (clap)

If you're planning to run it on a wavemaker, neither of those pumps will work well. If you're looking to run constant, the Tunze is definitely the tightest and least conspicuous of the two, and a very solid choice. If you're looking to run on a wavemaker/controller, I'd highly recommend the Sicce powerheads. I've got the larger voyager 2800's on my 90g, and they are completely silent and have been running on wavemaker mode on RKL for a year now.

LOL I had a feeling this would turn in to "JUST GET A VORTEC YOU CHEAP BASTARD" (laugh)

This is my second tank so I'm not looking to dump huge amounts in it at first at least. If a vortec my way comes its going on my 125. In the distant future however I just might break down and get one.

Its not a problem that its not controlable at this point. I don't have a controller anyways. But more flow I think would help out greatly. I ordered the Tunze from Glass Holes (thanks for the heads up Matty)

Thank you for all the input, I really do appriciate it (flower)

no buddy your not cheap. At least you got a decent powerhead. I went cheap and got two oceanic powerheads. They looked small. But weren't, looked ok, But horrible in my tank extremely pin point flow on them. and the ball joint on them broke in two weeks. Ugly and cheap. Worst mistake I made in reefing so far. Lol

HTC EVO

Alright I must admit I'm impressed. I ordered from glass holes on the 10th and it came today the 12th. I have never had free shipping come in two days. Amazon is usually four and BRS is five to six. I will be ordering from them again!

That being said I like the pump. It seems well made and is not too big in the tank. Big relief on that one. Plus the flow is exellent.

100_0236.jpg

100_0233.jpg

The only negitive is that the magnet on the outside of the tank is ugly and has strange mounting holes but a small thing all in all. I do like this power head :)

Nice! I like Glassholes a lot' date=' great service. If you ever find you need more flow or upgrade tanks let me know, modding these to double the flow is easy.[/quote']

I'll keep that in mind. So far I like the flow but you never know, I may change my mind on that DOH!