SWF vs Sea Horse

CrazyInside

I would definately suggest buying it from SWF. A couple of years ago I was buying water from Woody but he never changes his filters out like he should be. After you start getting Diatoms etc from the high level of TDS in the water you can mention it to him and he will admit that they are about 3-4 months out from changing the filters. I would guess longer than that. Patrick keeps up on it as he has the staffing to support it where Woody has to rely on the limited crew he has. SWF for the win. Or just buy a cheaper unit from purewaterclub.com and never leave to get water again.

62.00 unit from the putewaterclub as Jesse mentioned, you can find them on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/sch/purewaterclub*com/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

This is to opionated of a thread to get any useful feedback IMO, what was once done may still be done, no longer be done, or done differently now.

PWC makes a a portable unit capable of 50 GPD for about 62.00 shipped, I used the same unit on my 150 gallon tank. I threw it away because it was cheaper to buy a new unit than to replace the membranes (nearly, plus I went to a 100 GPD.

But FWIW-SWF, IMO

Good luck

I would definately suggest buying it from SWF. A couple of years ago I was buying water from Woody but he never changes his filters out like he should be. After you start getting Diatoms etc from the high level of TDS in the water you can mention it to him and he will admit that they are about 3-4 months out from changing the filters. I would guess longer than that. Patrick keeps up on it as he has the staffing to support it where Woody has to rely on the limited crew he has. SWF for the win. Or just buy a cheaper unit from purewaterclub.com and never leave to get water again.

This^ I was using water from Seahorse because it is a couple of blocks from my work and easy. After a few months I started getting a lot of algae. When I switched to SWF water my algae went away. I never tested the water because I'm lazy but the rapid decline in algae after I switched made it pretty obvious. I now have a ro/di and keep 55 gallons on hand. So much easier!

Also, this was less than a year ago.

I don't understand how people don't have rodi units. Don't you want to pick the salt to use with you tank? Most lfs use cheaper salt an sometimes you noticed better results with higher end salts. I cant think how I would cart around 20 gallon weekly from the lfs to support my tank. Lol

I don't understand how people don't have rodi units. Don't you want to pick the salt to use with you tank? Most lfs use cheaper salt an sometimes you noticed better results with higher end salts. I cant think how I would cart around 20 gallon weekly from the lfs to support my tank. Lol

I've always used rodi and have one. But not tank is only 14 gal total. So really like 12. 20 gal would last me a long time lol. On bigger tanks your own rodi is a must

That is not always true. For instance SWF uses 2 different salt mixes. They use Kent sea salt for their inexpensive salt and D&D salt for the more expensive salt. Both are available depending on which salt you want. While I do agree to a point that most stores only have one salt premixed available it is not always the cheapest salt as it is usually what is in all of their tanks. While I do like both Patrick and Woody I will never use woody's salt again. I did use it for some time out in the clownhouse and the consistancy of the mixes made me move away from it. It seemed to take longer than any salt I have ever used to dissolve and on more than one occasion mixed high on ph.

That is not always true. For instance SWF uses 2 different salt mixes. They use Kent sea salt for their inexpensive salt and D&D salt for the more expensive salt. Both are available depending on which salt you want. While I do agree to a point that most stores only have one salt premixed available it is not always the cheapest salt as it is usually what is in all of their tanks. While I do like both Patrick and Woody I will never use woody's salt again. I did use it for some time out in the clownhouse and the consistancy of the mixes made me move away from it. It seemed to take longer than any salt I have ever used to dissolve and on more than one occasion mixed high on ph.

We use reef crystals for our inexpensive salt, now.

I'm not sure about SWF, but some of the LFS keep their salinity down around 1.022 -1.023. Personally, I prefer to keep it up around 1.025 so that rules out most LFS saltwater for me. I just went with an inexpensive RO/DI unit.

It wouldn't even be too bad to get distilled water from the grocery store or LFS with a tank that size, but I agree that a cheapo RO/DI unit is much cheaper in the long run.