Pretty much no algae??.....

PowderBlue

So it's not really a complaint, but my 40 breeder grows nearly no algae, no diatoms, no hair algae, and worst part very small amounts of coraline. I dose calcium and mag. Have a gfo reactor. The only algae I get is the green little dots on the glass that I have to use the scraper to get off. Doesn't seem like coraline. The coraline I am growing is purple and slowly spreading on the rock but nothing on the glass. I do 20 gallon water changes once every two weeks. Am I doing too many changes? Nitrates, nitrites are zero. I transferred all my rock from a 29 gallon cube that was setup for about 8 months, the breeders been up for about 3. Neither had any coraline on the glass but the 29 had a small amount of hair algae when I broke it down.

I don't know why you are not growing algea. Sounds like a good problem to have to me :)

The green dots that you have to scrap may be coraline. I have green coraline in my tank along with purple, red, blue and white. It comes in a whole bunch of crazy colors.

Use an expired credit card or old gift card. Makes short work of the coraline on the glass' date=' but you have to get your hands wet.[/quote']

I found a great scraper that detaches from the handle for better scraping ability. Oh and I have a 40B and only do a 5gal WC once a week unless there is an issue that requires I do a bigger 1, so I'm guessing here, but I think the lack of nuisance algae has something to do w/ the 20gal WC you're doing bi-weekly. I think I may follow your lead here and up my WC.