What to do now?

Tuduku

So I finally have my 30g tank up and running. I went with dead rock / sand in an attempt to control and limit pests from sneaking in. I'm usually unlucky in my hobbies and know any live rock I buy will blow up with pests. But that also means I need to introduce all the flora / fauna manually so my pile of rocks becomes a reef. I know this method is slower, but at least the nitrogen cycle is done.

I'm going to assume that sourcing coralline algae to seed is next. Any one have a recommendation?

yeah it will come naturally with good lighting and having calcium levels good it will come faster and/or us the purple up also you can buy/borrow a rock that has lots of coralline algae on it and put it infront of a powerhead and scrape off the algae off the rock and that will help seed the other rock so ive been told

Coraline wil happen naturally on its own if I understanad your question. seachem makes a product called purple up that is supposed to expedite the process.

Purple up is just over priced calcium supplement. Kalkwasser or two-part solution will work just as well and is less than half the price. Don't go with the purple up!

Did you have a nitrogen cycle yet? If you did not test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and see a spike, or wait for 6-8 weeks then you still need to wait.

Since you started with dry/base rock you should put something in there that will give the good bacteria a source of food. I would use a shrimp or something like that from the grocery store. Let it float in the water for about 5-7 days and start decomposing. Then take it out (throw away).

Keep testing nitrogen (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate). Your ammonia should spike (go up) then fall off to zero. After the ammonia spike there should be a nitrite spike, then fall off to zero. Once this happens do a huge water change (up to 50% of the tank volume). Then you are ready to add either ONE fish or up to three coral frags. Personally, I would not add a fish until my tank is at least 4 months old. Every week add 1 to 3 coral frags until that time.

The key to a healthy tank is to go slow.

dsoz

Edit: When I cycled my tank I used a chunk of Chaeto (a macroalgae that people use in refugiums) in my tank. It added 'pods (good "bugs") and also jump-started the bacterial cultures. I would recommend getting a handful of Chaeto and putting it in your display and leaving the lights on.

• Like 1

Purple up is just over priced calcium supplement. Kalkwasser or two-part solution will work just as well and is less than half the price. Don't go with the purple up!

Did you have a nitrogen cycle yet? If you did not test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and see a spike, or wait for 6-8 weeks then you still need to wait.

Since you started with dry/base rock you should put something in there that will give the good bacteria a source of food. I would use a shrimp or something like that from the grocery store. Let it float in the water for about 5-7 days and start decomposing. Then take it out (throw away).

Keep testing nitrogen (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate). Your ammonia should spike (go up) then fall off to zero. After the ammonia spike there should be a nitrite spike, then fall off to zero. Once this happens do a huge water change (up to 50% of the tank volume). Then you are ready to add either ONE fish or

up to three coral frags. Personally, I would not add a fish until my tank is at least 4 months old. Every week add 1 to 3 coral frags until that time.

The key to a healthy tank is to go slow.

dsoz

Edit: When I cycled my tank I used a chunk of Chaeto (a macroalgae that people use in refugiums) in my tank. It added 'pods (good "bugs") and also jump-started the bacterial cultures. I would recommend getting a handful of Chaeto and putting it in your display and leaving the lights on.

Thank you for the advice. I knew about purpleup being not being practicable vs kalk or 2part. I used a quickstart bacteria supplement and skipped waiting for shrimp decomp by adding small amounts of an ammonia solution. I was looking for good sources (aka pest free) to seed pods/algae. I didn't think to simply ask to borrow a purple laden rock and put in front of my power head. I did do an ac110 refuge mod for chaeto and pod sanctuary.

I didn't plan for any fish to start with so don't worry, although what kind of frags should I look at?

Thank you for the advice. I knew about purpleup being not being practicable vs kalk or 2part. I used a quickstart bacteria supplement and skipped waiting for shrimp decomp by adding small amounts of an ammonia solution. I was looking for good sources (aka pest free) to seed pods/algae. I didn't think to simply ask to borrow a purple laden rock and put in front of my power head. I did do an ac110 refuge mod for chaeto and pod sanctuary.

I didn't plan for any fish to start with so don't worry, although what kind of frags should I look at?

What is the eventual goal of your tank? Whatever the goal of your tank is should be what you start with. Many say to start with softies, but I don't like that idea. Many softies (leather corals) secrete toxins into the water that make it harder for stony corals to take hold and grow.

If you like LPS, start with a hammer or frogspawn. Count each head as a coral. One to three heads would be fine. If you like colored sticks, get a monti digi or a monti cap. Even a staghorn or a pocillopora would be fine. Just go slow and keep it simple.

Here is a good article by Eric Borneman. He was a guest speaker for our club a few years ago. Scroll down until you see "Myth 15: Concepts about Nitrification, Stocking Orders, and the New Tank" then read it all. Many good suggestions. http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-01/eb/index.php

Don't try to get a clam or anamone until you have had at least 6 months success with growing coral and keeping one or two fish alive. Remember to quarantine your fish so that there is no ick from the start. It is easier to keep it out than to get it out once it is in there.

dsoz

• Like 1

Coraline wil happen naturally on its own if I understanad your question. seachem makes a product called purple up that is supposed to expedite the process.

Really? I have read many times that if you start with dry rock and dead sand you have to introduce coraline algea in to your system. But you have been at this a lot longer then I, so I'll trust you :D

Tuduku - If you are trying to do this pest free the best advice I can give you is to use a good dip on every coral you buy. You will be amazed at what nasties come off them. Also a little QT set up would be a good idea if you want an extra level of securety. I didn't do it this way in the begining (still don't QT but I know I shoud) and introduced many hitchhickers. Most wonderful, a few not so much (nutty)

dsoz gave some good advice. Plan what kind of tank you want in the end and start hardy and slow :)

Why would you borrow or buy a coralline covered rock from some one if you are looking to start pest free? You can't be guaranteed that the rock will be free of pests. Give the calcium additive time to work. Don't rush it. Patience in this hobby is more times than not rewarded...

• Like 1

I have done a lot of research, and already have a QT ready for setup when its time to introduce my first fish. With coral dips, what would you guys recommend as a good brand/s to get? As for the plan... I do like gobies and hope to do a pistol shrimp combo (30g tank). As for coral types I'm not sure at all.

I thought purple up is just a calcium supplement and there is no actual algae in it to seed a sterile tank. I have to introduce it to the system with something. Coral frags probably have some on the plugs. Snails could even have it on their shells.

I have done a lot of research, and already have a QT ready for setup when its time to introduce my first fish. With coral dips, what would you guys recommend as a good brand/s to get? As for the plan... I do like gobies and hope to do a pistol shrimp combo (30g tank). As for coral types I'm not sure at all.

I thought purple up is just a calcium supplement and there is no actual algae in it to seed a sterile tank. I have to introduce it to the system with something. Coral frags probably have some on the plugs. Snails could even have it on their shells.

Most snails do have it on their shells. Especially larger turbo snails.

But they can also carry other things. One member on here thought that he got ick from introducing new snails with out putting them in quarantine first.

You always get some bad with the good.

I have seen aptasia come from coral plugs.

dsoz

You could buy a coralline booster sheet, to seed you tank with coralline. Or just keep your calcium levels a little higher then normal, and it will begin to grow. I usually keep my calcium at 450 to 465. But I have coral that rely on the calcium. So it gets depleted quicker. But once I kept my levels higher. The coralline took off and fast.

HTC EVO

? What exactly does kalk dripping do

HTC EVO

It increases the amount of calcium that is available to the tank. Coraline algae (and stony corals) needs calcium in order to grow. The more calcium in the water, the faster it grows (to a point).

Kalk dripping (or a kalk reactor) just means that there is a slow introduction of kalk 24/7. Dosing means that the calcium level is constantly going down until you add more in a large bunch once (or twice) a day. Either way, the amount of available calcium is increased.

Kalk is great for maintaining an already high calcium level, but it is not as good for increasing the level because it also changes the pH of the tank. If you add too much, the pH goes all whacked out. It is also great if there are not many corals sucking up the calcium in the tank.

If there are too many corals, or the calcium level is too low, then a 2-part solution of calcium and carbonate is a better method of adding calcium.

dsoz

Really? I have read many times that if you start with dry rock and dead sand you have to introduce coraline algea in to your system. But you have been at this a lot longer then I, so I'll trust you :D

I guess I should have put the "supposed" to expedite in italics-I have never used purple up, my post main focus should have been the part that says coraline willhappen on its own period-DOH! buti f you want there is this snake oil stuff called purple up.........................(laugh) or I could have just typed its supposed to expedite......

? What exactly does kalk dripping do

HTC EVO

Google is your friend-

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=0&oq=what+does+kalkwa&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS407US407&q=what+does+kalkwasser+do&gs_upl=0l0l0l7274lllllllllll0&aqi=g2&pbx=1#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&gs_mss=what%20is%20%20the%20purpose%20of%20kalkwasser&tok=MQ3zuvwxPzZnz_RyTW4BXw&pq=what%20%20the%20purpose%20of%20kalkwasser&cp=7&gs_id=3g&xhr=t&q=what+is+the+purpose+of+kalkwasser&pf=p&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS407US407&sclient=psy-ab&oq=what+is+the+purpose+of+kalkwasser&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=7c5cf701f1365569&biw=1280&bih=868&bs=1

I guess I should have put the "supposed" to expedite in italics-I have never used purple up, my post main focus should have been the part that says coraline willhappen on its own period-DOH! buti f you want there is this snake oil stuff called purple up.........................(laugh) or I could have just typed its supposed to expedite......

(laugh) I never said to use purple up LOL. Yes its just a supliment. I was thinking scrapings of coraline from other tanks. But I do think my snake could use a good oil (get your minds out of the gutter I have a rosy boa)

Well I decided to go with a few heavily encrusted pieces of live rock and actually a dozen empty snail shells. Hopefully this will jump start the algae growth. Have also found my first few hitch hikers. A couple are obviously good to keep, but also found one that I'm unsure of. I think its a common bristleworm and safe to keep, but would like another opinion on them.

[ATTACH]13129[/ATTACH]

post-8774-141867762733_thumb.jpg

Bristles are creepy creatures, but I concur with Toby that they're great cuc members. If they get too big then I pull them out. I guess I don't want them getting overly hungry and maybe eating something questionable. The picture you took doesn't really look likes bristle to me though. I would trash it just to be safe. Could just be a bad pic, but normally they have more bristles for feet and look more bristley than that.