MH bulb explosion

Droc88

Has anyones bulb just randomly exploded my timer turned my lights off at 930 5 minutes later my bulb explodes and sounds like a shotgun when it happened now I'm pulling glass out of my tank in the dark smh wondering what just happened has this ever happened to anyone else and do you know where I can get a cheap bulb replacement from for a short amount of time till I can get another good one

How old is the bulb? If its not that old I would request a new one from where you got it. Its very rate but a mh will blow up randomly. Doesn't matter it water got on it unless its a double ended. I've seen them with lots odd water and fine

I had one do that, explode I mean, it was my fault though when I was supper green I got a MH ballast at a garage sale and didn't know what watt it was and hooked up a 250 watt bulb, after about an hour it blew, come to find out it was a 1000 watt ballast :( But I was getting glass slivers in my hand for years after every time I touched the sand.

I had one do that' date=' explode I mean, it was my fault though when I was supper green I got a MH ballast at a garage sale and didn't know what watt it was and hooked up a 250 watt bulb, after about an hour it blew, come to find out it was a 1000 watt ballast :( But I was getting glass slivers in my hand for years after every time I touched the sand.[/quote']

That really sucks, mildly funny though.

Thank you for the offer on the bulb got a pm so I'm gonna get one tomorrow on my way home from work hopefully everything is still kosher I hope there wasn't any sorta of chemicals in that bulb that would hurt my fish or corals

make sure you address the issue. I had one explode from getting splashed. The bad part is I was at work and came home to find it much later. the light was still on and the outer glass was at the bottom of the tank. It killed off a fair amount of coral in my tank and all because I adjusted the korillia a little before I left. It was making a splash with one or two drops of water every few minutes and that was enough to do it. Be greatful you were home and the lights were off. make sure it can't happen again...