ASTERINA STARFISH EAT ZOAS!!!!!

the title says it all. I have heard that they can become a best because they reproduse so quickly but never thought. they start eating my zoas I don't have any pictures. but last week I came home to find 2 starfish on a couple zoa polyps and one polypwas fine but the other one had eaten the skirt and ate the mouth out of the second zoa. so I guess now its a good idea to get rid of them as soon as possible

There are 2 types of asterinas. The darker black-gray ones tend to be the predatory type. There is debate on whether they actually do eat zoas or are just eating the remains. I agree with you Mike though I have seen them on zoas of mine and do think they can be predators. Coralpedia has a picture of them inder zoa pests. Get a Harlequin shrimp (unless you have fish that will eat them)

Sent from my BlackBerry 9630 using Tapatalk

I used to feed the asterina stars to my hammer/frogspawn or fungia corals... I would pick them off the glass and drop them in the corals and watch them get engulfed.

I too had the asterina stars eat zoas... Bad news. :(

dsoz

I've been picking all of the asterinas out of my 10 gallon and throwing them in the pest tank. Since I started doing that, my coraline growth has greatly improved. The ones I have are white with red and black speckles on their backs. They haven't eaten any zoas that I've seen. They're definitely coraline eaters.

I find often that what people say isn't reef safe isn't always true or they have different opinion of it. For instance ten years ago they thought the little crabs that live in acroporas were bad and eating the corals only to find they have a sybolic relationiship.. one provides food and the other protects... then there are snails that go after the slime a clam puts off when its injured or ill. I wonder if that's not natures away of getting a dying corpes out of your tank.. some people question bristle worms.. some say they eat corals but others say they clean the tank eating bad stuff and cleaning the sand.. and the list keeps going.

Clay on this forum has a mantis shrimp. Huge.. they say the mantis are suppose to break glass tanks and eat everything in the tank. And the matis is suppose to love to eat crabs. His leaves all his fish alone and he has many in there with it.. he had some bad crabs in his other tank that were eating his acropora so he put it in with the mantis and the mantis never went after them. They ended up eating some corals in the other tank sadly.. but we are talking about living creatures. U never know how they will act in a setting. Just like any other person or creature in this world. But any way that's my opion and I guess they say they are like butts....