nitrate problem

fishdude

So I tested my water last night and my nitrates were about 20ppm and so I did a water change. Today I tested it again and it dropped but barely its about 15 ppm now. All that's in it is a peppermint shrimp and 5 blue leg hermits. Its a 10 gallon with live rock and sand. Why are my nitrates still high? Does it need more then a day or did I do something wrong?

How long has your tank been set-up?

+1

also, how big was the water change? if you did a 20% water change (2 gallons), the level should drop from 20ppm to 16ppm, if you want it lower you have to change more water. if you have mostly just fish and soft corals, though 20ppm is probably fine.

Its been up just over a month. I only did a gallon water change. Right now there is no fish or corals. I don't wanna buy a fish and have it die a.day or two later.... so should I wait a few more days or u think it would be ok to get a fish tomorrow?

20ppm won't kill fish. Most of us at one time or another have had nitrates MUCH higher than that. That said, never be afraid to do a 50% water change. A couple summers ago, I was out of the country quite a bit and they got well over 100 in my 180 gallon. I did a series of 50% changes each week for a month and each time I cut them in half. Now they are consistently around 2ppm. In a 180, that's a lot of salt, but it was worth it. None of my fish ever showed ill effects of nitrates that high or of the large water changes. Corals, however did suffer a bit from the high nitrates.

Always remember; The solution to pollution is dilution.

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...
+1 on the damsel they are $4! Also Get a bit more Lr imo' date=' Will help with filtration and lower nitrates.[/quote']

Live rock has very little nitrate removal. The bacteria that live in the rock process ammonia > nitrite and nitrite> nitrate. The bacteria that process nitrate to nitrogen gas are found in anaerobic conditions below the first inch or so of your sand bed. If you want to lower nitrates in a 10 gallon system I would suggest running macro algae. What kind of 10 gal do you have ? Is there a back chamber you could maybe put some cheato in?

be careful with damsels. yes they are cheap but can also be highly aggressive towards other fish. With a 10 gallon tank you are going to be somewhat limited as to the number of fish you can stock So choose wisely.

Yes my tank has a overflow area. What can I toss in there to help with water quality?

Some maco algea would help with nitrates and make free fish food (for herbivors) If you have room some carbon would also help with organics. If you are doing fish a protein skimmer would also make your life easier. It would pull the gunk out of your water and help keep it stable between water changes.

• 2 months later...