Evening from Hell!!!

Bicyclebill

Had the tank emergency from hell last night! Woke up to the powerheads sucking air at 1 AM. Blowhole external return pump seized up and was too hot to touch. Went through the garage and pieced together a pump and some tubing and was able to set up a temporary return system. All was good and I go back to bed. Woken up an hour later to my screaming water alarm! Go running back out to the living room to see the seized up pump now leaking heavily and draining my sump into my stand and carpet. Thank goodness I had the water bug alarm and went with the threaded bulkhead so I could simply thread the plug into it. So food for thought; make sure you've got some safety backup parts and think about the what if's should you have something fail in the middle of the night

That's a rough evening. Glad to hear you had an alarm and that your tank seems to be ok. Never really thought about a flood alarm. I'm gonna have to look into that.

John, the alarm I've got is called a water bug and you can get them for about $12 at Home Depot near the water heaters. They're simply a little plastic box with battery inside and contacts on the bottom. Loud as a smoke detector

Is that the same or similar that you can hook to your controller?' date=' I looked it up once, even that one sounds like a good investment though[/quote']

Mine is a simple stand alone alarm like a smoke detector. I know they make them with a switch that would send a signal to your controller because I've used them at work before, but you'd likely have to go through Grainger or McMaster-Carr to get them.

I just ordered a couple of flood alarms just now. One for my tank and one for the sump pump in the basement. Great idea. They have cheap stand-alone ones on Amazon for like 13 bucks. Hadn't thought of that before.

Can you send the link for this. I really do need to get something like that.

This was the one I ordered. Looks simple and functional.

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Controls-THP205-Alarm-Flood/dp/B000IF6URO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332965306&sr=8-1

I should have it Friday. I can let you know what I think of it this weekend.

Thank you for the link, I'll order two on payday :)

Nice that its battery operated too. I hate those power outage floods as well

Archived