Hanna phosphate checker

Bicyclebill

OK' date=' so what's the trick to dumping the reactant into the little cuvet without loosing half of it on the counter or leaving it in the container? And what is a good low reading to have? Is zero a reality with this device?[/quote']

I always cut or tear the packet open and crease it in the middle on one of the sides so its ready to pour it in once its ready.

Lowest reading I've ever gotten is .01

I tap the packet a lot and then cut it in half. I also trim the edges. I then fold it into a sort of cup and tap the reagent into a corner of the packet so it can be poured in. I do all this before I start the process. If it takes too long the meter shuts off. I have gotten readings of 0, but since I have a mixed reef I try for levels around .02 and .05

I've had it move a little .03,.05 but it is at 0.00 when I run GFO and Carbon. They have a video on BRS I think, cut two sides off with scissors after you tap it down into a corner and then crease one side into a V, pour it from there

I was unaware that Hanna made a liquid reagent for the phosphate test. I know they do for the Alk test (which is my favorite test kit by them). Also the calcium test kit is half powder reagent and half liquid reagent. Interesting!?

Trade it in for the liquid reagent' date=' you could and most likely are getting skewed reading with the powder reagents. Hanna is verry easy to work with on this issue.[/quote']

Edit: I just called Hanna to confirm. The phosphate checker only comes with a powdered reagent. It would be nice if they made a liquid reagent for this checker like they do with the Alk checker. However the powdered form gives the most accurate reading which is why they went this way.

OOps My Bad (FOOT IN MOUTH) Ya with those I make sure I cut the top of the package off before proceeding with the test as with mine I have limited time to get the reagent in the vial shaken and back in the meter. Never had any real problem getting the powder in the vial though. Just fashion one side so it will slide in the vial and maybe a flick or two of the finger. From what I've been told, watched through hanna videos and read it's not nessesary to get to wild about getting every little graual into the vial. If one could find some type of mini funnel that might help. Sorry again about that.

Make some sort of fennel with it. But mostly' date=' ditch the hanna p04 and get the hanna phosphorous test. The po4 is not reliable for reefkeeping.[/quote']

The Hanna po4 checker has been proven to be reliable. There is an article I read where they tested the po4 checker back to back with a science grade lab kit and the po4 Hanna was very close.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/8/review

Thanks everyone for info. I did find a video and learned a couple of great tips; make funnel at middle of packet (not at end seam) and press the timer to let test go for 3 minutes before reading. Glad I bought the 25 pack of additional tests!

Archived