LEDS.....What to choose

R-3

So I have a 2' cube that I am looking to change the lighting up on. I mainly keep LPS, zoas, and sofites. I also would like to add a couple SPS pieces. So pretty much I want a light that does it all. Ive noticed a lot of people have jumped on LEDS lately and love them. Especially some a few of you with rather large tanks which I think is awesome.

Heres a couple I found.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-60W-LED-DIMMABLE-AQUARIUM-REEF-LIGHT-FIXTURE-/230754506244?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35ba0a5604#ht_975wt_1396

http://www.ebay.com/itm/60W-Dimmable-CREE-LED-Aquarium-Light-250W-Metal-Halide-/130511367634?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e63156dd2#ht_1430wt_1396

They are 60W's total. 20 3W Crees. My LFS sells a fixture that looks identical to these.

Are the 3w Crees the way to go???

Also Im looing for an overall 14k-20k look. Leaning towards the 20k spectrum.

I am not gonna get into which is better....but i do like the fact that more one watters have more spread and spectrum overlap. I think SOME three watter can have a spotlight effect and since there is usually less of them, it is easier for me to see pockets of different light.

What abouts par38s? Anyone tried kessils?

So I looked a little more and the AI SOL Blue looks nice and priced comeptitivley.

http://www.aquacave.com/Aqua-Illuminations-SOL-Super-Blue-Modular-LED-Lighting-System-BLACK-P3380C378.aspx#reviews

SOLblack1.jpg

I am not gonna get into which is better....but i do like the fact that more one watters have more spread and spectrum overlap. I think SOME three watter can have a spotlight effect and since there is usually less of them, it is easier for me to see pockets of different light.

What abouts par38s? Anyone tried kessils?

I get what your saying. Never thought of the spotlight look.

I like the way the reefstars are setup...and I hear they have new aluminum housing and built in timer etc...Yeah not a big fan of spotlights either...silver fish swimming down the tank go white, blue, white, blue as they pass under the lights...looks unnatural

I'd say you need more than 20 3 watt LEDs for a 60 gallon cube with a depth of 24 inches. It all depends on what you want to grow though. I would suggest DIY for a couple of reasons. The first is simply cost savings. The second is modularity. LED technology is changing all of the time and being able to add or switch out different LEDs is a pretty big advantage for DIY. There are some modular fixtures out there, but I could not point the way for you with that respect.

The cube I'm setting up is a 27g with starfire glass on the front. It's 18wx18dx19.5t. A little smaller than yours but the regular AI sol would be sweet on a 60g cube. BTW I REALLY wanted to set up a 60g cube but mama said NO.....

Yeah Im leaning towards an AI SOL. There are not much more than a DIY as I can see. Do I have to buy the controller?? If not they are only $400

I am not gonna get into which is better....but i do like the fact that more one watters have more spread and spectrum overlap. I think SOME three watter can have a spotlight effect and since there is usually less of them' date=' it is easier for me to see pockets of different light.[/quote']

+1, my same thoughts.

Ryan,

Hit me up and stop after work one of these days. I can show you how a Radion fixture will look over a cube just like yours. Even if you don't go with the radion it will give you an idea of the look an AI Sol will produce.

Granted we will have to screw with the spectrum but we can make it look exactly the same as the sol.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Hey Ryan-

I have seen most of these LED systems in use while on business in SoCal at various reef stores there. There are only (2) that really have the features and warranty that I would personally consider:

AI Sol Blue

EcoTech Radion

These units both have optics and are completely controllable/dimmable.

I prefer the AI Sol Blue for a few reasons:

Cost - Significantly lower (about $270 lower) than the Radions for about the same benefit.

Serviceability - Made in IA!

This thread could go on for years (See RC) about different features, optics, spectrum's of LED's used... But, my point being that I have seen these in use and the results in person - For the $$, AI Sol has my vote.

BTW: I do not work for SLS or AI, so I have no skewed monetary slant/gain on sharing my opinion here.

I have ordered the AI Sol Blue for my 34 Solana to replace my 250w 20K Radium. If you know me at all, giving up a Radium lamp is like pulling my teeth- all my teeth. Hope this helps-

Archived