Best anemone to get?

J-Dog

What is everyone's opinion on adding an anemone to an SPS tank? I want to get one for my new system, but I don't want it walking around killing everything in sight. Are there certain anemones that won't move once they are settled in one spot? I was thinking about putting one in my tank before I put my SPS in....that way, maybe it could have plenty of room to move around and find the spot it likes. Can anyone give me some ideas on what to do?

I also wanted to ask what are the coolest anemones to get? I just saw one that looked like a Rose Bubble Tip, but it had red tips with a green body (looked pretty cool). I've also seen some carpet anemones that have awesome color too. Let me know what u guys think about anemones....PROS and CONS, thanks.

I personally dont like anemones. It is rare to meet someone who has kept one for many years. They might never get settled. when you move anything, powerhead, light, rocks might make the anemone move again. Make sure you watch your anemone. I've heard of anemones running into my powerheads and getting shred into pieces. Ive heard more bad stories about anemones then good ones.

If you want a nem that's not going to move much I have had better luck with my green LTA or my green carpet. They both stayed put when I got them in the tank. had them for quite awhile too.

What is a LTA?

I think of my maxi minis as more like fancy shrooms. They don't move much and are very easy to keep. The only complaint I have about them (which can be said about most nems) they eat anything that comes in contact with them. Since they lay so flat against the rock more critters will crawl over them. Mine have eaten every hermit I have put in my tank and my pom pom crab. All that being said I still like them a lot.

You will definitely find more colors in maxi minis than any other nem.

I have had a green LT and a purple LT going on 2 years in my display havnt moved and they like to bary in the substrat so less chance of them going rock climing but theres always a risk but I have had great success with LT and they come in many colors and the purple ones can be very colorful.

The LTAs can definitely move. I was told that if you put them in the sand and surround them to rocks they tend to stay but I have not had this happen and since they are so much bigger they make more nervous in their travels. I have had the best luck with the BTAs and Maxi minis. The maxi minis come in an amazing color and I have found that once they find a spot they don't move but their sting packs quite a punch. The haddonis are amazing but they can get quite big when they expand and the store bought ones are notoriously risky as they are prone to infection with moving. They also pack quite a sting and many reefers have lost fish to them. If you are doing a lot of sps because they can move and can expand and will sting your corals if they contact them. The corals I have in my anemone tank on the rocks are either easily moveable or not too expensive so I don't stress like I used to when the anemones roamed.

By the way, the tank raised ones reefers have in their tanks can be quite bullet proof. You should hit up Mr. S for smaller ones if you interested. He had them in his school tanks and they are used to all types of tank fluctuations.

i got two bubble tips put them directly next to each other, one has been in the tank for a month and hasnt moved at all just got all snug, while the other i introduced 2-3 days ago has took a journey under itselfs and has traveled 1-2 feet under a rock and is now working his way back out. Now this original one is smaller 3-4 in diameterwhille the new one is 7-8 inches in diameter i believed even though they were right next to each other the big one i think didnt like the flow and moved.

Just thought id share, i got them off to the side so they can roam, but if my tank was really stocked id be stressing im no expert by any means just thought id share my little expierence with them

when the large one first moved it was overnight as well i had woken up and was like wheres my nem!!!! and was atleast 8in away hidden completely under a rock needlesss to say it was upsetting my 90$ trying to hide from me, but hes been moving out of the cave back into the light now

Archived