Low light corals that I won't want to scrape off later

alittlemark

I am looking for some corals that are going to do well at low light levels, but that I won't want to remove later when they go crazy or start attacking other corals.

Some of the corals I am currently considering are Favias, Acans, and Cabbage Leather corals.

What should I add to my list? Should I maybe take an item or two off of my list? What kind of differences are there in the various types of Favias and Acans in terms of light requirements?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

what kind of lighting are you using' date=' what is low light for you, t5 lighting or what that will help also the dem. of the tank how deep is it the flow of the tank also helps to know in advising corals just a few more thoughts[/quote']

Good point.

I have a recently cycled 90gal tank with one 48"-60" Marineland Reef Capable LED light. I think the bottom of the tank is probably about 20" from the lights. I am looking for corals that might work under some of the overhangs that are probably 12" from the lighting. I don't actually know what the flow is though. It is regulated to as much as the two 1.25" pipes can handle going out. I have two Koralia powerheads moving things around in the tank.

Hope that helps.

I like my acan (from Kimberlee). I'll say the cabbage corals fine and I could frag you some but at least in my tank, they spend a lot of time covered in mucous, which is kinda boring. palys and fuzzy mushrooms are doing well, but they can take over some...

all of the above are doing fine in my 55 that's only lit by 64watts of T8 in a shop-light fixture...they're going to have an interesting time transitioning to the 90 with 432w of T5...

awesome i dont know a lot about the marineland leds but you should be able to do open brains (which are one of my favs), frogspawn, hammer, and other lps that are low light but stay away from gsp, mushrooms, xenia, and others that grow wild in tank just a few thoughts

Lots of good stuff, Zoa's, leathers, Fungia, Hamerhead, mushrooms.... Hum I'm just listing whats in my tank now DOH!

Don't be too afraid of GSP and mushrooms. If you isolate them (especialy GSP) they can add some great color and movement to a young or low light tank. :)

Wow, it sounds like there are a lot of options that I hadn't considered. What is GSP? That isn't one that I am familiar with?

Also, I have read that sun corals do not need strong lighting, but that they are hard to take care of. Does anyone have experience with sun corals?

Wow, it sounds like there are a lot of options that I hadn't considered. What is GSP? That isn't one that I am familiar with?

Also, I have read that sun corals do not need strong lighting, but that they are hard to take care of. Does anyone have experience with sun corals?

GSP I believe stands for Green Star Polyps....These do spread and grow pretty quickly, and I personally have had to "Scrape it off rocks where I didn't want it to grow...

I have had Sun Corals before, if you like target feeding, they can be a fun coral to have, since they don't photosythisize, they have to be fed, I used tongs to feed each head Mysis, its fun for a while when thier is a few heads, but when it gets big and grows more and more heads, it can be a little time consuming to try and hit every head with food.

My favorite leather is the Tyree Green Toadstool, Bright, easy, It was one of my first corals, and I still have one today, and will probably always have one...

I was thinking that Sun Corals might not be so bad if you can feed them as a group with a baster full of prepared fish food, but if you have to place a chunk in each open mouth; that would definitely get time consuming before too long. Thank you for that insight.

I have a 55 with 2 T5HO bulbs on it with mainly softies that I consider low light. Not sure how a pair of high par ATI bulbs compares with the Marineland LED's but some of these corals in the sump under a 13 watt GE reveal pc bulb are also doing fine so I think they are hardy. The Tyree green polyp toadstool is huge in low light, as is neon green sinularia and this other bluish greenish short rough skinned softie I have:

060-L.jpg"]060-L.jpg[/url]

Last I checked Rose City had some nice toadstool frags ready to go you could try. That softie I pictured I have various size frags of for 10-20 bucks, not tiny and in good health. It gets about 6" tall and in my 120 is touching acros, a montipora, and a gorgonian. It does not sting what it touches but given time will overgrow it. It sends out shoots at the base that are relatively easy to peel off rock if the colony gets too wide.

I have acans that eventually did attach to rock and I can't get them to separate so if you need to be able to peel them off later be careful where you set them. I put one on a huge giant clam shell so I guess it stays. They also will send out sweepers once in a while, like immediately after you put your most expensive coral near them. They know.

You could also try some montipora frags if you have spares. I put some in the 55 up fairly high and they did great.

I would definitely like to get a toadstool coral, but I was thinking that I would give it a place of some prominence in the tank. I have some caves and archways that I am currently planning for, trying to imagine good corals that will stay healthy under there, and yet not become a pest later. I was in Rose City last weekend and I know of at least one toadstool coral there that I wouldn't mind adopting. Thanks.

That is a great picture by the way

Archived