Quinn's 60G CUBE Build Thread

R-3

I havent been to active lately so what better way to start posting again than a new tank thread!!! I got this 60G cube and Dual 24" 4 bulb T5 setup from Mister Crabs just a couple days ago. Im gonna use this as a transition tank for an upgrade but also so I can plain have some more real estate.

I framed up a real quick stand tonight and gonna get a coat of primer on it tomorrow hopefully. I also have to get a piece of 1/2" plywood for the top and the underneath sump area. Gotta get the tank all cleaned up to!

Here are some pics......

P1010872.jpg

P1010873.jpg

Here is my equipment list so far-

60G Cube

Dual 24" 4 bulb T5 setups or single 250DE Pendant

skimmer????

Genx Sub pump

Tunze 6025

I havent decided if I am gonna go with the T5's or one of my single 250De setups. I couldnt pass the deal up on the 2' fixtures but I really like the shimmer of halides. Let the debate begin (naughty)

As far a skimmer I will probably go with one of the small cone skimmers out there. Im still looking for a sump so if anyone has a small one they are selling let me know.

Hopefully I get some water in it by the end of next week! Just a couple things left to iron out. Any thoughts or suggestions of what some people have done with their cubes let me know!

post-20-141867788744_thumb.jpg

post-20-141867788747_thumb.jpg

Hey buddy, good to see you posting again! Love the tank!

I just setup a very similar tank and can agree LED's are the way to go. I had a hard time growing much under my coral life t5 fixtures so I switched to LED's. If you have the spare MH equipment and chiller then I would start there.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Good to see you back Ryan. Are you doing this build in anticipation of getting the DD you've been looking for? That leather you've got won't even fit in there will it?

You should take a look at the LED's Ryan has at All For Fish. He has some really nice Cree's in a quality fixture - not some of that CCC (Cheap Chinese Cr@p) that's been around.

After running halides, t5's, PC's, leds...I say hands down leds...

I mean the eshines are getting Stella's reviews...

The oraphek pr-25's uv's are killer!!!! 2 of them would be plenty...

That's my vote: -)

Also I may have a sump available soon.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

More and more I hear about LEDS I think I might have to upgrade when I get some extra cash!

groovy ryan.

Lay off the weed Roger. You've been hangin out with Franklin too much :)

Hey buddy, good to see you posting again! Love the tank!

I just setup a very similar tank and can agree LED's are the way to go. I had a hard time growing much under my coral life t5 fixtures so I switched to LED's. If you have the spare MH equipment and chiller then I would start there.

Are you running LEDS on your cube Josh?? Might have to come take a look. What did you do for a sump??

Good to see you back Ryan. Are you doing this build in anticipation of getting the DD you've been looking for? That leather you've got won't even fit in there will it?

You should take a look at the LED's Ryan has at All For Fish. He has some really nice Cree's in a quality fixture - not some of that CCC (Cheap Chinese Cr@p) that's been around.

Yeah my leather wouldnt fit in there. I gotta make a tough decision with it. I might have to end up selling it to someone with a big enough tank. You definitely need bigger than a 24"x24" area for it. I heard Ryan has started to bring in more stuff, I gotta get in there. I havent decided on a tank yet. There was a 8x4x2 that was on craigslist that someone swooped up :(

What is the upgrade going to be?? You inspired me after my visit. I ended up getting those damsels you have and tried to find a toadstool with some color.

Not sure what size Coker. How do you like those Talbots??? I love neon green leathers!!

Welcome to cube club!! What happened to that big peninsula tank you had going?

Still trying to find another. Dumbest decision I ever made selling that one! Last time I listen to my wife, LOL :)

Im looking to upgrade though. Just gotta find the right tank.

Had some gray paint in the garage so figured I would use that instead of buying primer :) Here's a pic!

I also ran into another snafu my GenX4100 I was gonna use has some spots of rust on the back of the pump where epoxy had chipped off. So I guess I need to get a pump to!

Anyone got any ideas for a sump?? Looking for something like 20x16 or so.

P1010922.jpg?t=1330895285

Are you running LEDS on your cube Josh?? Might have to come take a look. What did you do for a sump??

I'm using a sump wannareef built that I found here on the forums. It's 20"x20" and has a few baffle's and a filter sock holder. The only thing I would like to change is not have it euro braced and either take out the baffle's or make them taller. Right now I'm havings a hard time fitting all my equipment in there.

For lighting I'm running a single Radion strung from the ceiling. Stop by one of these nights and check it out. There isn't much in the tank right now though. Only a few softies and sps on the sand. Just started this tank back in January when the 150gal sold.

UPDATE:

Got the stand top and bottom finished. Also found a sump that just happened to be buried under some stuff in my shop LOL! Bought some sand today and water is mixing right now. I plan to pull 20-30 gallons (water change :)) from my 120 and mix with the new water that is mixing now. Im gonna do a test run on the plumbing tomorrow and hopefully have it running with rockwork by mid-week. Soon after I can start pulling some corals outta my 120 to make some room. Here are some pics of the progress. I even threw one in of my Monster 2'x2'+ Leather that is dominating my 120!! Unfortunately I might have to get rid of him soon :( Hes just getting to big..........

41e3999f.jpg?t=1331453523

692d2bd0.jpg?t=1331453509

8055271d.jpg?t=1331453535

That leather is 2' x 2'? Isn't that the dimensions of your new 60? Hmmm..... Throw that leather in your new 60 with about 10 baby skunk clowns. That would look pretty cool.

Looks good. I have a 60 cube now too. It is definitely more challenging to scape and adjust flow and such compared to my old 120.

Dennis

That leather is 2' x 2'? Isn't that the dimensions of your new 60? Hmmm..... Throw that leather in your new 60 with about 10 baby skunk clowns. That would look pretty cool.

Looks good. I have a 60 cube now too. It is definitely more challenging to scape and adjust flow and such compared to my old 120.

Dennis

Yeah it is. Honestly I think it if had more room to fully spread out it would be 30"x30" :)

Its funny though my wife said the same thing :)

Well I flushed out the plumbing system to check for any leaks and so far so good :) I also started adding water that was mixing yesterday. Its about 5/8 full (new water) with out any rock so I think the rest of my water will come from my 120 to reduce any type of cycle. Heres a pic

d9a16e6e.jpg?t=1331490367

Its alive!!!

Hey sorry i didn't get around to calling you back. Had some ppl in town and was a busy weekend. I used the Novus 2 stuff on my cube, did a great job of taking out the small scratches. I bought a couple microfiber towels for the job. Used one to apply, let dry, then the other to buff off.

Also for the inside when you get to needing to clean it, use those melamine sponges that are for cleaning bathrooms and stuff. Magic eraser is what its called, but just get the generic ones no scent. Really does a great job cleaning down the insides and also helps buff out any small scratches. Also algae doesn't seem to grow as fast after using the eraser.

Its alive!!!

Hey sorry i didn't get around to calling you back. Had some ppl in town and was a busy weekend. I used the Novus 2 stuff on my cube, did a great job of taking out the small scratches. I bought a couple microfiber towels for the job. Used one to apply, let dry, then the other to buff off.

Also for the inside when you get to needing to clean it, use those melamine sponges that are for cleaning bathrooms and stuff. Magic eraser is what its called, but just get the generic ones no scent. Really does a great job cleaning down the insides and also helps buff out any small scratches. Also algae doesn't seem to grow as fast after using the eraser.

Archived