How to kill mushrooms?

PeteRock

I have red mushrooms that I've been battling with for nine months or so now. Every water change I go at them and srape them off the rocks with a skewer while sucking up the chuncks and mucus. I do good at getting all the peices so that particular one doesn't come back. However the time it takes to get all the pieces doesn't allow me to get many during a 15-20 gallon WC. I don't seem to be making progress on thinning them out.

Does anyone have any reccomendations on how to get them out? They are in three batches on rocks I'd rather not part with.

1) Can I syringe them with lemon juice or something else thats safe for my tank?

2) Hack and slash them all without spot suction and then do one big WC and get what I can?

They were cool back in the day but now they are annoying and stinging my bali tricolor!?!! (flame)Are you kidding me? Last straw, its WAR(threaten)

Thanks for any suggestion you may have.

how about cooking the rock?

I know you don't want to get rid of it, so stick the rocks in a tub for a month. just stick a heater in there to keep the bugs alive, maybe a salt-mixing PH, but the bacteria in the rock don't need a whole lot of care. but a month in the dark, especially with a little neglect on top of that and I'm guessing the shrooms would melt?

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. There was no way these rocks were coming out, they've been in there for 5+ years at the very bottom of the tank and have other corals on them as well.

I refined my hunting technique and it worked really well. I did a 15g WC (75g tank). Took a medium @1/2" dia hose in my left hand, got the siphon going and plugged it in the tank with my thumb. In my right hand I took a wooden kabob skewer and started shredding them up at the base. I could release my thumb when needed to suck up bits and mucus but it wasn't constantly running so I had a lot more time. I was able to get 1/2 of area one. 2.5 areas to go.

Archived