Fish Food

Blackhand

I am going to be making my own fish food soon but before i do and while i am getting all the materials i was wanting to know about other peoples success or problems with making their own food. I have gone on the diy part of the forum and found that some people did make thier own food and am really wanting to know if they still are and how the results of making thier own food. I will post later what i am planning on adding but any information would be great especially people that are doing it and have been for awhile. Thanks

I've been doing it for well over a year, and every fish I pt in the tank loves it. Even my hippo tang which I thank is suppose to like seaweed more than anything else. I use anything that comes out of salt water. Clams, flounder, scallops and oyster. Add some supplements. That kind of easy recipe. I think the corals get something out of it too.

I minced an oyster, spread it out in a quart-size ziploc and pressed lines into the bag so I had 'portions'. once a week or so, I take a portion out, mince it again and drop in a few chunks at a time. I don't have many fish, so they don't eat much, but they love the oyster.

I didn't do anything to it, straight out of the shell. I think Kimberlee's plan is right on, though

I minced an oyster, spread it out in a quart-size ziploc and pressed lines into the bag so I had 'portions'. once a week or so, I take a portion out, mince it again and drop in a few chunks at a time. I don't have many fish, so they don't eat much, but they love the oyster.

I didn't do anything to it, straight out of the shell. I think Kimberlee's plan is right on, though

Let me know next time your in Salem and I'll send a little w/ you.

I put in a bit of everything.

I buy the frozen seafood medley from Trader Joes. Contains mussels, shrimp, oysters, scallop, squid, something else to I think. I chop all of that up really finely. While I am chopping I also bring out a packet of mysis shrimp, brine shrimp, cyclopleeze, blood worms, formula 1, and whatever else happens to be onsale to thaw. I then put my medley into the blender, let it get all chopped up even finer before tossing the rest of my foods in. I mix it and add a bottle of phyto and garlic juice. I then pour this mixture into plastic ziploc bags and freeze. Lasts me a long time.

I thought about vegstables like Rod's food does, might try it next time after seeing fish in the wild react to spinach, but I might skip it too.

HTH

After you mix it up, line a baking sheet with a silpat mat or parchment paper. Place a section of eggcrate on top, and pour the mush into the crate. Freeze. The silpat easily comes of the bottom. Poke the cubes out of the crate: et voila, perfectly portioned cubes.

And please, please do not use, eat or even look directly at farmed shrimp from Thialand, shrimp farming there is destroying mangrove forests and leaving dead zones that will not support sea life for years.

I just picked up some homemade food from OIAB, and I noticed a HUGE difference, the corals instantly reacted and wanted to feed, which I am assuming is a good thing. I don't know what is all in it but I like it, Some of the fish liked it some didn't, my Bangai Cardinal prefers Mysis, so I hand feed him his own meals.

I too am liking the idea of making my own, I will be following this and see what everyone puts in thier mixes.

So this is what i have come up with so far:

Ingredients: shrimp, squid, clam, nori, tilliapia, rock fish, scallops, halibut, broccoli, spinach, crab, silversides, mysid, brine, and krill.

Supplements: Garlic, selcon, and maybe vita-chem

I do not plan on putting all of these in one batch but mixing it up everytime, want i plan is making several batches that carry different ingredients to keep the variety and make it so the fish get better portions from each feeding. I have heard that getting enough carbs in the food is a problem and getting too much protein, if anyone has any comments i would love to hear it I plan on buying all the ingredients tomorrow and starting the making process this weekend, thanks

If you have any fish like eels or puffer' date=' in general any predictors I would leave out the krill. There is a study suggesting it is responsible for lock jaw in excessive amounts.[/quote']

wow really i didnt know that thank you for the info yeah im planning on getting a eel soon and have a long nose blue spotted puffer and i have fed the puffer a lot of krill so i pray that doesnt happen to him and i will stop i bet thats what happened to my lionfish one day he just stopped eating after being such a pig and very healthy and active

Thank you Kimberlee' date=' some great info :)[/quote']

Always happy to help when I can. I don't know everything but I'm trying too. For the record I do feed my eel krill, but it is more like a monthly treat. You know like giving the puppy the fat off your

T-bone, everyday is bad, but once in a bluemoon is okay. My eel goes nuts when he does get the krill, makes me think I'm never going to hand feed that thing.

When I Made mine I put in a blender mysia, scallops, brine srimp, cyclopeze, hand full of flake food, krill, some freezer burned salmon, garlic and a 8 inch frozen snow flake eel i lost 3 weeks earlyer. and blended it all up real fine and froze it flat in a zip lock bag the fish and corals love it. I tend to save any thing that dies in my tank except corals and freeze them untell i make my next batch of food.

• 2 weeks later...

I just made some fish food I used 1 oyster 6 51/60 count shrimp 1/2 clove garlic pinch of seaweed small peice of dover sole 3 bay scallops. I also added the left over mysis shrimp and brine shrimp about six cubes of each the brine shrimp were enhance with green stuff =) I chopped the garlic into really fine peices then pulverized it till it was nothing more than a sticky goey mess . Then I took the rest of the sea food and a really sharp knife. I chopped and chopped and diced and sliced till all the pieces were about the size of a mysis shrimp. It was all a goey slimey pile on my cutting board I then took the cubes out of my freezer and let them thaw out on the pile. I chopped up the sea weed it was the green stuff from Jullian Sprung. I mixed every thing to gather thoroughly mixing every thing and dumped it in a quart sized freezer bag the whole mix spread out about 1/4 of an inch thick laid it flat in the frezzer . I fed it to my hawk fish yester day and he went nuts my corals even got into the mix and ate some =) It was a lot of fun and smelled so good I almost put some butter in a frying pan and cooked some up for myself. Total cost was less then $5 for a bag of food that should last me 3months or more =) Thanks for inspiring me to make my own food!

Great stuff guys im glad others are making their own food as well i love making my own as well and my fish love it even more. i have even given some away now haha i bought too much and have a lot i still even have another bach to make. i love it its cheap and a lot of fun making your own food and feeding it to your fish knowing exactly everything that is in the food. i think the only problem im running into though is that im feeding too much but thats what an oversized skimmer and clean up crew is for right haha

Archived