LED's compared to MH, T-5

Frank

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah that's where I stand with them. I may very well switch also, when I start seeing coral farmers and totm running them. They way things stand now is mh is still king and still the most proven way to have nice sps.

When your trying to have a very successful sps tank you need to look at what the people with the most success are using. Look at the past couple of years totm and look how many are

Running LEDs. That's a very good indication of what works and doesn't. The nicest tanks in the world continue to run metal halides.

Who's to say that some of these tanks that are running led's aren't the best in the world? Doesn't that just depend on the person that likes the tank? Again it goes down to a personal preference doesn't it? Who get's to choose the nicest tanks in the world?

I have a feeling we can just agree to disagree on this topic, Sure I like halides too but it just doesn't make sense in the long run anymore. Big or little tank doesn't matter.

Well I said totm... Meaning reef central tank of the month in which people vote on.

point is those are not the world's best, just that people are posting stuff about on Reef Central doesn't qualify them as the best in the world in my book. I would have to say that on PNWMAS.ORG the best tanks are typically running LED's. It's all in the eye of the beholder when it comes to this topic.

I don't even know why I'm arguing about it. I don't really care anyways...(laugh)

Just drives me nuts when you make such a blank statement as the best in the world when those are just from another forum.

Well considering there 300,000 people on reef central and around 12,000 people on the site during operation. They pretty much have the largest grasp in this hobby. people who have written famous book and mag articles are very active on reef central and the nicest tanks I have seen on this forum are not running leds as there main lighting.

Don't feel like your arguing, this is good for the site. It points out the pros and cons of the different lighting systems for the new comers to read through and make there decision easier.

I for one am going LED for the following reasons.

Tired of the fans and ballast noise, our tank is dead silent when mh is off with over 6000gph cycling through at all times.

Tired of the heat

I have 570 watts of power being drained consistently for 8 hours a day right now, after change it will be around 400 watts less

Tired of evaporation

Tired of topping off tank

Tired of the humidity in the house

Tired of buying bulbs every 6 and 9 months.

With LED I get zero sound, zero evaporation due to lights, less top offs, zero humidity, zero bulb replacements for the next 5 at least and on top of all of that my power bill will go down. Meaning more funds for coral and stuff. I can sell my mh setup, chiller, fans, dehumidifyer, and so on. So I will actually make more off the sales than I will spend for the transition.

I know all of this has been said but redundancy can be powerful

2x VHO's every 6 months for 5 years @ $20 each is $400

A 250 MH every 9.....no let's just say every year at $75 a pop is $375 (which also happens to be cost of LED unit)

And we will leave the power bill out of it

So over the course of the 5 year lifespan of the LED I would have spent $775.00 on bulbs alone with all the listed frustrations that come with it......or I can drop $400 now....sell all that stuff to make it back and not have the additional $375 waiting for me.....plus the power bill.

People should be selling the MH setups now while they still have value, this time next year you might not be able to give it away.

Tapped from the Nex

Tired of the fans and ballast noise, our tank is dead silent when mh is off with over 6000gph cycling through at all times.

Tired of the heat

I have 570 watts of power being drained consistently for 8 hours a day right now, after change it will be around 400 watts less

Tired of evaporation

With LED I get zero sound, zero evaporation due to lights, less top offs, zero humidity, zero bulb replacements for the next 5 at least and on top of all of that my power bill will go down. Meaning more funds for coral and stuff. I can sell my mh setup, chiller, fans, dehumidifyer, and so on. So I will actually make more off the sales than I will spend for the transition.

A 250 MH every 9.....no let's just say every year at $75 a pop is $375 (which also happens to be cost of LED unit)

So over the course of the 5 year lifespan of the LED I would have spent $775.00 on bulbs alone with all the listed frustrations that come with it......or I can drop $400 now....sell all that stuff to make it back and not have the additional $375 waiting for me.....plus the power bill.

People should be selling the MH setups now while they still have value, this time next year you might not be able to give it away.

Tapped from the Nex

Double Post

Tired of the heat

Tired of evaporation

Tapped from the Nex

What LEDs did you buy that price?

Tired of the heat

Tired of evaporation

Tapped from the Nex

I could have analyzed everything you wrote apart but I will leave it alone. I have proven the point I was trying to make, in the end people will choose which best suit there needs.

I could have analyzed everything you wrote apart but I will leave it alone. I have proven the point I was trying to make' date=' in the end people will choose which best suit there needs.[/quote']

Agreed....for us the money is vital so it is a no brainer.....not to mention the rest. Just like Vortech.....to us if you don't run Vortech you just aren't reefing. Other swear by koralia, but we can't stand the sound

Tapped from the Nex

Before any misinformation gets spread, leds are not know to have more par than mh. There is hundreds of par reading from both. Have you seen the par from my 250 watt radium? I have 500 par on the sand bed, tell me how many of you led guys have par higher then that.

Don't forget Danik too he's running radiums and has one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen in person. Also all the show tanks at upscales running radiums. Just about all the Lfs with nice show tanks are running radiums.

Ok this is one I dont get why do we need that much par on the sand bed? I dont put my SPS on the sand bed one thing I love about the LED's is I can have a mixed reef.

I was pretty much done with this thread but..............I could not resist

if par readings are higher using a Metal halide fixture, coud that have anything to do with a MH bulb (use 400 watts for example) using 3x the power-

I know from testing one of my 60 bulb-3 watt unit with 70 degree optics running at 750 mA (where full rating is 1 amp so they are running with even less energy) and 75% of power (so roughly 135 watts???) match my 400 MH units par levels-

so to say a MH puts out more par, compared to what a fixture that is running at less than 1/3rd the watts- I hope it could

its a rhetorical question/statement

Archived