Drilling holes in AGA

uhuru

I thought I read that someone on here is good at drilling holes in glass? I have a 10 gal AGA that I wanted to drill a couple of 45 mm holes in for 1" bulkhead fittings. Problem is I've never drilled through glass before and don't have the necessary drill bit. I took it to a glass shop and they said they can't do it unless I take the tank apart. If anyone can help me out with drilling the tank, I can bring the tank over to you, or you can tell me where to get the drill bit and some step by step instructions?? Any help would be much appreciated!(clap)

It may be easier to get a glass hole saw and drill it that way. But, if I were to do it using tools that I have on hand, and it is only one or two holes, I would use my dremel rotary tool with a diamond bit.

Check out this thread

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=110571&hl=drill+glass

You can get a Cheapo dremel knock-off rotary tool from Harbor freight for as low as $7, and diamond bits are also inexpensive (less than $10 for a pack of them). The only thing that you need to wory about is to go slow, keep water on the glass (keeps it cool, and washes away the ground glass dust).

I have not drilled a fishtank before, but one of my other hobbies is making stained glass. I have drilled holes in pieces of glass before so I have the piece-inside-of-piece look (for eyeballs and other things).

If you want some help, I'd be more than happy to show you how. I even have a dremel you can use. You can get a diamond bit (there is a Harbor Freight near my house), and come on over (I live in Orecon City). We can make an afternoon of it. Drilling a 10 gal should not be too hard. The glass is only 1/8" thick. and You are only going for a 1" hole.

PM me if you are intersted.

dsoz

I agree, I use a rotozip with a ceramic tooling bit and it slices like butter, but if you dare do it on that thin wall glass I would get some test pieces first, I have cut as thin as 1/4" and thick as 5/8" with the rotozip.

I've ordered a diamond drill bit for glass on ebay and drilled my 25gal glass tank. That was my first time and it was much easier than I thought. It wasn't a perfect drill but good enough. My order of another 1" bulkhead just came in today. I'm planning to drill a 2nd hole in my 25gal tank after work today. If you like, bring you 10gal tank over and you can use my drill bit. PM me.

Joel at Waves does it as well...lots of people have taken their glass aquariums to him...I do not know his price' date=' but I know he does it.[/quote']

Ive drilled 3-4 10 gallons, (never broke a tank yet).

$50 first hole, $20 every after (even if different tank).