My new Lights and Skimmer

Frank

As most of you know I just set up the new 300 and changed my lighting from MH to LED’s. I went with a local company,(ReefStar) on the lighting as well as my Skimmer (from a SWC which I loved) to one of Reef Star’s cones. As far as the Skimmer... WOW!DOH! First off it only pulls (26) watts and for a pump that is on for (24) hours it matters. The milky white bubble it creates is something else. I have never had a skimmer move the top off because it has so much dry foam in it. The skimmate from the skimmer is nastiest I have seen. And the best yet…The skimmer is sooooo quiet.

On the lights… I first went with the Gen 1 lights and ran it next to a 400 radium and was surprised how great it looked even more surprised how well the coral seem to like it. But it didn’t have optic and I really wanted that. So they came out with the Gen2 and these came with optic AND a built in timer. The color of the light looks even better and all the corals are loving it! The colors of the corals are great! A few on the forum have seen the tank and I will let them tell you if it looks good or not. On a side note… the manufacture uses the casing from the cheaper overseas Brandon the Gen 2 but (on the Gen 3 they have a new case),THAT is all they use from the cheaper version. The other thing is YES… they are only (1) watt LED’s but my tank is 30in deep and the lights are 15in off the water and I have NO problem penetrating to the bottom. Amazing!

For anyone considering these items just an FYI – On the new Gen 3 LED’s it looks like they are changing it to an aluminum case and possible dimable controls. I also heard the Skimmer is being offered as a space saving model. Overall these items are just a wonderful addition to my tank and I feel they are going to be instrumental to the growth of my corals and sps’s. Very happy reefer here!

Its interesting to hear that your happy with the 1w LED's...I always heard negative things about 1w's (like they aren't enough), most people push for the 3w's and throw out names like Cree, ect.ect....I have seen the ones at SWF, great to hear feedback from people actually using them.

I know that SWF carry the light now sure if they have the gen2. I think TECO has them also. The skimmer was bought direct from them.

I've been trying to find the Reefstar website to see there skimmer prices, but can't seem to find it. How does one contact the company? Do they even have a website?

Thanks guy. A lot of people think the 3 watts are the way to go most go that way due to being cheaper to make due to they us less leds. As the tank clears up they look evem better.

Epic1 is the manufacture on these and the skimmer hoping he post here to give more info on both.

You know I wont lie I was scared about going to leds but knowing Brad(reefjunkie) went all leds says alot about them he did do DYI and they look great. I know you can grow SPS under LED's.

Its interesting to hear that your happy with the 1w LED's...I always heard negative things about 1w's (like they aren't enough)' date=' most people push for the 3w's and throw out names like Cree, ect.ect....I have seen the ones at SWF, great to hear feedback from people actually using them.[/quote']

True. I like to hear of another success story. I have had them. A little over a year now. My sps, acros included, are all thriving, growing like weeds. I have had mine running a little over a year now

Archived