OIAB Chalice, First Chalice..

ReefSafari

So I took advantage of the good weather and my OIAB punch card(naughty) and took a drive to Vancouver on saturday to check out Ocean in a Box, Not to turn this into a props thread, but one of the things I really like about OIAB is that they have this amazingly huge dispay tank with nice beautiful colonies of corals in all thier glory, and then you look over and see in the frag displays actual frags of the exact same coral colonies in the main display, Its cool to see full colonies of what your frags will end up looking like, I was talking to Cos about chalices and how they have never really been my thing, and while they are pretty, encrusting corals don't really do much for me, but after seeing this full colony, and this is a VERY bad cell phone pic of the mother colony, but it is a pretty cool chalice...

2012-01-28171120.jpg

Cos had good sized frags of this chalice, so I thought what the heck, I will give Chalices a try and see how I do with them, I don't know the name of this chalice, but I like it. Cos had quite a few really awesome chalices in the shop..I am going to see how I do with this one before getting any more...

2012-01-29121553.jpg

Cos even hooked me up with the perfect chalice rock too...I hope to someday see this thing totally covering this flat, round peice of rock...

Anyone have a chalice like this? Maybe Cos can chime in and give the name again...Its been in my tank a couple days now, and its starting to turn more green with orange eyes, with a faint hint of yellowish...I hope it does well...

I agree if the eyes are more orange then some type of mummy eye. If they are pinkish then could be a bubble gum monster. Either way it's a nice frag. Beware of the chalice addiction!

I would say it has more orange eyes, I hope it gets more green.....while I think its cool, im not totally sold on chalices yet...one is plenty for me right now, curious to experience how well they do for me and how fast they grow, I like to see growth and like fast growing easy to keep corals...lol, not sure if chalices will be for me...but it will be fun to give them a try....good to know its a Mummy Eye Chalice....thanks

I would say it has more orange eyes' date=' I hope it gets more green.....while I think its cool, im not totally sold on chalices yet...one is plenty for me right now, curious to experience how well they do for me and how fast they grow, I like to see growth and like fast growing easy to keep corals...lol, not sure if chalices will be for me...but it will be fun to give them a try....good to know its a Mummy Eye Chalice....thanks[/quote']

As a rule of thumb they tend to like lower light and lower flow but you can acclimate them to higher light. They tend to grow slow which can be a good thing in that you can get several and not have to worry about your tank being overrun. There are some really nice varieties out there with amazing colors.

Ya looks like original mummy eye. If you want one with more green you need to get the Oregon mummy eye, mengs mummy, and there are a bunch of others. But be careful you are saying right now that your not sold on them but I was thinking the same for a long time. But I have 38 different chalices In my tank right now and I think like 5 more coming my way from a grow out that I am in. They are my coral crack right now but I told my wife I would not buy any more corals for awhile.

Ya looks like original mummy eye. If you want one with more green you need to get the Oregon mummy eye' date=' mengs mummy, and there are a bunch of others. But be careful you are saying right now that your not sold on them but I was thinking the same for a long time. But I have 38 different chalices In my tank right now and I think like 5 more coming my way from a grow out that I am in. They are my coral crack right now but I told my wife I would not buy any more corals for awhile.[/quote']

I hear ya, I have caught myself looking at Chalice pics, But I told myself, I am not getting another one till I see growth on this one that I have...lol, as tempting as it is to grab a couple more, I want to see how Chalices do in my system first. I am still in the experiemental stage still, trying different corals out, seeing what does well for me and what doesnt (always a bummer when you find that out the hard way) So we will see...if this one does well for me, then I might give another one a try...Kinda leaning toward a Miami Hurricane...I like the Blue...We will see, I have yet to see the eyes want to feed, I keep checking it every night and morning before the lights come on...but it looks like its doing well so far...

What amazes me about chalices is the price and what you get for that price...Like Literally a frag that is $200-$500 that looks like someone smeared thier spent gum on a frag plug...lol.. and then to sit and stare at that tiny frag for what seems like ever to see any growth...To each thier own I guess...lol we will see, I have a feeling Chalices grow to slowly for me...I can literally visually see growth on my SPS almost on a daily basis...I like that...

EDIT: I reached 1000 posts...wooohooo!!! But wait...I went from a "Shark" to a "Zoanthid"??? Thats like a step down isnt it?...lol

I'm curious about what chalice you got for your only one. I hear ya on the sps verses chalice growth. I have a wild bubble gum piece i got about a year ago that has barely grown to the edge of the frag plug, then i have ones like the Robokaki that i have fragged 3 times in that same period and just keep growing.

Well, Woke up this morning and flashlighted the tank, and was surprised to see all the eyes awake and ready to feed, one of the sweeper tenticles was HUGE...almost an inch long comming out of one of the eyes, so I target fed each eye (there is about 6 of them) and all 6 ate a mysis shrimp, and they ate it QUICK!! faster than any other LPS I have ever target fed, and the feeders came right back out like it was hungry for more...lol. Actually was late for work this morning cuase I wanted to stay and feed it some more, try explaining that to your boss, when you showed up late for work with a big grin on your face, the boss chaulked it up that something (***Cough***couch**) that cuased me to be late and put a smile on my face...I just left it at that...He wouldn't understand the real reason..."Ummm..sorry I am late...got to target feed my new Chalice this morning"...lol

I don't know if I am over exaggerating, but I swear it looks like it wants to grow, the edges of the chalice frag are nice and round and for someone who examines thier corals for the ever so smallest of growth, I think I might be seeing it wanting to grow...Pretty cool stuff... Miami Hurricane... I am comming for ya...LOL

Big thanks to Cos (OIAB) for being such a good Coral Pusher...lol Good times...

Curious if anyone has ever bought Chalice frags from Ebay? I googled Chalice and it directed me to Ebay and WOW...there are some really cool chalices on there, I was curious if it was like playing russian roulette? Has anyone taken the chance before and purchased any of these? I would much rather spend my money at the local shops where I can see the frag and possibly the mother colony prior to purchase, my fear is getting a half dead frag of an expensive chalice from a shady seller on Ebay, but dang are some of the chalices cool, many I don't see available locally. Curious if anyone has bought chalices off ebay?

I have bought from golden basket and Nregret something. Half of the chalices i have came from e-bay. i would bid on 5 or 6 things from the same person to cut the shipping down. mixed rersults. when buying the 1 or 2 eye frags, first time all lived. second time i guess they figured i was already a customer and maybe got not as nice a pick as someone they have never sold to before. Had 2 survive out of 6 or 7. 2 of them were the size of 2 grains of rice. Never been disapointed with golden basket either.

Thanks for the replies! So being new to Chalices...and not knowing first hand how fast they grow, for those chalice keepers out there, is this normal for only having it a week? The edges are nice and plump, and I don't know if I am seeing things, but it looks like it wants to grow...Can you tell the difference between when i first got it and a week later?

OneWeek.jpg

Whoops...what happened!!(naughty) Awesome Chalice Pack courtesy of Mr.Bret...Thank you Bret! (rock2)

Robokaki

2012-02-05100813.jpg

Bubblegum Monster

2012-02-05100742.jpg

Hot Lava Monster...One of the reddest Chalices I have ever seen in person..One of my favorites!

2012-02-05100728.jpg

Maimi Hurricane

2012-02-05100720.jpg

So I have 5 different kinds now...Can't wait to see them grow out...Pretty cool stuff!

Welcome to the chalice addiction! Nice ones there! The Miami hurricane is still a favorite of mine and a fairly fast grower!

The first step to recover is admitting you have a problem right?...lol Have you noticed your Miami Hurricane getting more blue under different lighting conditions? Like some corals under brighter light get more lighter and more shaded makes them darker? I am just curious...Miami Hurricane is one of my favorites too, Love the Blue...just wish the eyes where bigger...to help show off that intense eye coloration...Can't wait to do updated pics down the road to visually see before and after pics...Lots of cool chalices out there thats for sure...

Chalices huh, they look sort of neat(scratch) I may have to give thems a try-(whistle)

Thats a nice little frag pack you got there David, and like Kim said the Hurricane can be a very fast grower as chalices go, at least thats what I have heard(clap)

I think I might have caught the bug from you originally...lol, I had to give them a try and see what they where all about...I was stoked to pick up such great chalices...Is that Oregon Mummy Eye in your avatar?

I think I might have caught the bug from you originally...lol' date=' I had to give them a try and see what they where all about...I was stoked to pick up such great chalices...Is that Oregon Mummy Eye in your avatar?[/quote']

Yes it is the ME

I like chalices for the reason ( one of them) Kim gave, small footprint ans some sweet looking colors on some

• 3 weeks later...

A little Update on my very First Chalice, I have had it a Month now....never thought I would see this much growth in a month...I LIKE IT!!!

Before and After....1 month time between pics...

OneMonth.jpg

Also got HOOKED UP with a couple more Chalices...BIG Thanks to BRAD (ReefnJunkie)...

Tyree Rainbow Delight...I love this chalices for its suttle but beautiful colors, Yellow, Pink, Green, Blue, Purple,

2012-02-23192408.jpg

Pink Watermelon...Quickly becoming one of my favorites...

2012-02-23192223.jpg

Did some rearraging of the chalices, put them on the opposite side of the MP10, less flow, they seem to like it better... I call it my Stairway to Heaven...(cause they just happen to look like steps going up..lol)

2012-02-23191753.jpg

And just for fun, a panorama shot of the tank...

2012-02-20185736.jpg

I was trying to think of an example as to how chalices grow, the only thing that came to mind was if you took a stick of refrigerated butter, cut off a chunk of it and put it on a plate and sat and stared at it till it melted...thats kind of how it seems like watching these things grow...BUT...you learn to appreciate even the slightest bit of growth...

It really makes you look at large big chalices in a different light, now when I see people with thier big beautiful chalices, I know how much effort and care went into growing these things...I can't imagine growing them up into a big beautiful colony and then fragging it...it would be like a dagger to the chest...BUT...I am glad those of you that do this...do it...Thanks!

Looking good David. The Rainbow delight also grows fairly fast too. As far as fragging, I can't keep Beth away from the bandsaw (laugh). It is also a way to justify spending the price on some of these chalices and getting more. We sadly lost quite a few of our chalices but our slowly building up again. I have some nice ones coming to me from a growout that I did with Brad. Reefnjunkie has one of the best collections of chalices around here now as he lives up to his name.