8 Gallon Cube Attempt

CrazyInside

Picked up a rimless cube from gill for the family/movie room. Hopefully little tanks can handle all the noise/shaking/rumbling lol. Our movies knock shelves off all the way in the kitchen so we will see how it goes ha.

Anyways I was origanly going to make it simple and just use an aquaclear 70 for the filter but then I decided I didn't want the water level moving and leaving that ugly white ring so Ed drilled it for me :D. And gave me a piece of glass to make a simple sump out of a ten gallon. Also I'm going to try out my first Led unit over this with a par 38 spotlight.

Some pics of so far.

This is what it looked like when I got it. (gills for sale photo)

0de90909.jpg

Painting

IMG_0832.jpg

All dry and has simple overflow in it... still need to clean the tank up lol

IMG_0833.jpg

Stand for it, still working on the door part

_MG_0834.jpg

Simple 10 gallon sump with an echo 396 return pump

_MG_0843.jpg

Par38 led spotlight, with dimmable blue and white with remote lol. Still haven't figured out how i'm going to mount it.

_MG_0840.jpg

_MG_0841.jpg

And shannons cat "helping" as she says but really he just keeps taking plumbing parts and batting them all over the house.

IMG_0844.jpg

That's all I've done so far :D

Nice start! What are you thinking about putting in the tank? Purple tang? Stingray?

I was hoping an emperor angel, alkalies tang, and a nurse shark.. we will see though.

But really.. I dunno. I was just thinking maybe a zoa tank with an anemone and a small pair of clowns. But as of right now no plans other then just getting it to hold water lol

All righty, so I got it all filled up.. added sand and rock, and no leaks! Ended up having to get a ball valve for the return because it was waaay to much for the little guy lol. I'm diggin the led so far though, hopefully I will see some growth out of them. Also still no door for the stand yet.

And some pics

With flash

IMG_0849.jpg

No flash

_MG_0852.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

The light, Blue leds at 80%, White at 60%

IMG_0861.jpg

Front

_MG_0853.jpg

Right Side

IMG_0858.jpg

Left Side

IMG_0860.jpg

• 1 month later...

Haven't updated this in a while, was waiting for it to cycle and what not. Here are a few pics.. should be adding more corals soon.. might look cool once things grow out.

No fish yet, i'm thinking about a yellow watchman goby.

Some pics:

IMG_0863.jpg

IMG_0864.jpg

IMG_0862.jpg

_MG_0872.jpg

_MG_0870.jpg

_MG_0867.jpg

This is where is sits next to my computer so i can watch it :D

_MG_0876.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
How about an update for this cool tank? Details?

This tank was going to be awesome.. but we sold our house and I sold everything a few months ago.

Now that I got a new house i'm getting wet again!

Here is the new build http://www.pnwmas.org/forums/showthread.php?33829-BioCube-14-Build&p=323847#post323847