acro flatworms that don't die with TMPCC

izzypop

So I was dipping some acros that had some flatworms on them with TMPCC and noticed this time there was some that looked slightly different more brown in color than the normal white ones I seen. They were not affected by the dip even with a coffee like color strength nor would they come off after the dip when trying to blast them off. They weren't moving around but they didn't look dead. They looked like some kind of superflatworm compared. They also were more of a circle shape than oval. Anyone have any experience with this or any info relating? Oh and they were way easier to see than the clear ones when the coral was dry.

20-30 minutes.

The clear ones usually start to peel off withing 5 minutes and when you shake the coral they just fall off. I never tried Fluke. I wish I had some to just test on them.

This particular colony that had a different kind was really infested with eggs that I just pulled and did not intend to put back just throw away. After dipping my other acros and killing off the clear ones I decided for fun to dip it and watch how many came off. To my surprise nothing came off it. I thought man that's odd with all those eggs there should be at least some. Pulled it out and looked at it and [language filter] there was like 3 of them just parked on the coral really easy to see compared. I thought they were dead so I tried to blast them off by shaking and turkeybasting and they would not come off. I am almost convinced they are two different kinds.

I'll have to try fluke next time. Never had a reason to use anything other than TMPCC before. I should have taken a picture now that I think of it.

3 different kinds? oh great. thanks impur all see what I can find over at RC.

I hope I was just inhaling to much TMPCC fumes and ozone and was dreaming.... but the AEFW's weren't looking back and laughing at me.

I'll check again in the next week or two for my next scheduled dipping party and take pics if I see those again.

have you never heard of melev? http://www.melevsreef.com/aefw.html heres his info email him if you have any other questons also got alot of info on that method on reefcentral under the sps thread, also i wanted to also tell you someone did try the fluke tabs and got bad results wiped out about 98% of his corals, so wouldnt recommend it. ok well lug's is a very harsh iodine its ment to cauterize your wound for easier cleaning also does speed the healing process with beta iodine it does the same job just not as harsh so it will do its job but also be a more gentle process for out sensitive corals.

Yah, for every hundred ppl who had success, there is always someone with bad results. I have heard of Mark Melev, just hadn't visited his site for awhile. Thanks for the link.

So you are going the QT route with weekly beta iodine dips or what?

when i emailed him he just states a dip and then look for eggs was good then normally 7 days later check again for signs and dp look for eggs and then if you wish a third can be done 7 days later. i just did qt them in beta because it will literally rip the skin off the arco so no my cup of tea.