The Clown Anemone Tank Project! We found Nemo!

Emerald525

So as some of you heard Beth and I decided instead of colored sticks we would rather have clownfish and nems so we sold most of our sps and have been converting the tank into a clown anemone tank.

(clap)(clap)

Thanks Barelycuda for all the clownfish. If you haven't been to Dave's clownhouse you definitely have to go!

We got 4 orange and white ocellaris, 2 picassos, 4 black and white, and 2 plantinum clowns. The tank is a 150 gallon tank

Here's the first day. They pretty much schooled in a ball like this the entire day which worked as none of the other tank inhabitants picked on them. I was worried about the melanarus wrasse but he left them all alone...(clap)(clap)

DSC00622ARW.jpg

DSC00626ARW.jpg

DSC00633ARW.jpg

I just think clownfish are adorable!

DSC00637ARW.jpg

DSC00638ARW.jpg

DSC00643ARW.jpg

DSC00655ARW.jpg

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clown Anemone tank week 1

Clownfish are funny, by the mid part of the week most of them were trying to cram into one anemone. After some jostling over territory some of them moved into a different anemone

DSC00649ARW.jpg

DSC00740ARW.jpg

DSC00749ARW.jpg

As you can see this anemone was starting to get a little crowded too!

DSC00742ARW.jpg

DSC00750ARW.jpg

Week 2

I took this picture today. A few are starting to go go to the other anemone.

DSC00053.jpg

The Picassos and one platinum paired off right and pretty much stay with the first anemone. The anemone as may tell moved but we don't care because we don't have any sps to worry about!(laugh)

DSC00050.jpg

DSC00049.jpg

If you look closely you can see a little bit of white on the lip of the one clownfish as the platinum nearby tries to chase them out of the anemone

DSC00046.jpg

So far all are doing well and are healthy with just some minor jostling over territory. It's very fun watching them. I will keep you posted as the time goes on!

DSC00046.jpg

This tank is awesome!!! You are going to have sooooo many RBTAs when they start splitting, it's gonna look like some kind of phycadelic shag carpet. :) I think you should put a couple neon green BTAs into the mix, it would look really nice to have more than one color when it's all filled in. :)

This tank is like a bigger, better version of mine - it's awesome!

I have 6 clowns and 2 groupings of RBTA's in the tank. The 2 black/white's have mated and claimed the lower RBTA group, while the 2 platinums mated and grabbed the upper group. The 2 picasso's tag along with the plats and it's a constant war between the black/whites and the platinums. I was going to take one group out of the tank but it's way too entertaining.

Have yours separated into distinct groups? Mine found the RBTA's the first day and started a fued almost instantly.

This tank is like a bigger, better version of mine - it's awesome!

I have 6 clowns and 2 groupings of RBTA's in the tank. The 2 black/white's have mated and claimed the lower RBTA group, while the 2 platinums mated and grabbed the upper group. The 2 picasso's tag along with the plats and it's a constant war between the black/whites and the platinums. I was going to take one group out of the tank but it's way too entertaining.

Have yours separated into distinct groups? Mine found the RBTA's the first day and started a fued almost instantly.

They look like they are going to pair off. The 2 picassos seemed to pair off but then they go back and forth among anemones. We are going to try to get a few more for them.

I missed the look of your SPS tank!!!!!!!!!

yeah I liked the look too but Beth loves the easier maintenance of this one and the clowns are fun to watch.

This tank is awesome!!! You are going to have sooooo many RBTAs when they start splitting' date=' it's gonna look like some kind of phycadelic shag carpet. :) I think you should put a couple neon green BTAs into the mix, it would look really nice to have more than one color when it's all filled in. :)[/quote']

We did get one green rbta but it is hiding. We would like to get more. Anyone out there with green rbtas , we are interested! :)

Looking great ladies!

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Thanks Jesse...

Are you planning on getting some more anemones for all of those clowns? I had no idea that you could keep that many clowns together without them fighting all of the time. If this works out for you' date=' it will be way cool tank![/quote']

Yes Mark we are going to get more anemones for the clownfish. You can keep them all together the key is starting them out all at once. There's a great tank thread that shows the progression over several years.

Excited to see how this does in the long run. I too love clowns and really want more, but always heard no more than 2 per tank unless the tank is huge. I too feel the frustration of sps tanks. I lost my purple monster to red bugs:(. Since I'm color blind it took me forever to see the little jerks. Three treatments of interceptor and I'm all back to normal though. Tank looks great gals and I hope to come see you guys soon. Although, now that you're not coral crack heads, I'm gonna feel like I have a much bigger problem. You guys made me feel normal. rofl

It's is funny how rare nice GBTAs have become. I see reds and kinda greens a lot but I only see the really neon greens in pics anymore.

I think it's just because there is more of a demand for the Rbtas.

Excited to see how this does in the long run. I too love clowns and really want more' date=' but always heard no more than 2 per tank unless the tank is huge. I too feel the frustration of sps tanks. I lost my purple monster to red bugs:(. Since I'm color blind it took me forever to see the little jerks. Three treatments of interceptor and I'm all back to normal though. Tank looks great gals and I hope to come see you guys soon. Although, now that you're not coral crack heads, I'm gonna feel like I have a much bigger problem. You guys made me feel normal. rofl[/quote']

LOL John I didn't think it was possible for you to feel "normal" :). No worries we are still coral crackheads we just shift our interests all the time!