The Clown Anemone Tank Project! We found Nemo!

Emerald525

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice tank! Rose bubbles have always been one of my favorites. That lobo is really nice too. I saw that last time I was at rosecity.

Hey stranger! Glad to see you back!

Kim! That was the one I was looking at last week. It is beautiful. I was debating whether I should buy it or not. Now' date=' I am glad you bought it so I don't have to buy it.(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)[/quote']

LOL where the heck would you put it in your tank Frank?

Nice tank! Rose bubbles have always been one of my favorites. That lobo is really nice too. I saw that last time I was at rosecity.

Hey stranger! Glad to see you back!

Kim! That was the one I was looking at last week. It is beautiful. I was debating whether I should buy it or not. Now' date=' I am glad you bought it so I don't have to buy it.(laugh)(laugh)(laugh)[/quote']

LOL where the heck would you put it in your tank Frank?

Thanks everyone for coming to the meeting

Thanks everyone for coming to the meeting. I really do not need any more anemones but can you really have too many in a clown anemone tank?(laugh) I bought this one from Marshall and all proceeds go to the Lakeridge tank

DSC00351.jpg

Barelycuda brought us over a little platinum to pair with Bruiser!(clap) Thanks Dave! They are getting along great! Sorry the picture is not so good but we are probably the only people crazy enough to put a Platinum pair in the sump!(nutty)(laugh)

DSC00356.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
this is what I aspire to...maybe you can coach me :0)

Sure Susie and welcome to the forum.

Wow Kim that is an amazing tank! I love to watch my clowns' date=' when they aren't bullying, I can only imagine how enjoyable it must be with a whole tank of clowns and a brazillion anemones!

Thanks and yes I love watching them. So far there is really minimal fighting. The picasso platinum trio keep to themselves. Sometimes it's the orange and whites versus the black and whites but it seems with plenty of space and anemones there is very minimal conflict. I expect there will be more as they mature.

• 3 weeks later...

New updates

It's been a few weeks since I posted updates. My camera got stolen and just figuring out the new one. I'm still not liking exactly how the pictures are coming out. Perhaps I will read the owner's manual! (laugh)

Last week Beth and I took down one of the 150's with the help of Mattv, thanks Matt!(clap)(clap)

DSC_0001.jpg

Matt and Beth moved the frag tank next to it and they are going to plumb the 2 together to make life even simpler

DSC_0003-1.jpg

The tank is packed full of corals and a few more fish. Once the tank is plumbed together we will move some of the higher end frags back to the frag tank

DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

Beth and I love clownfish and here's the snowcasso type clownfish we have in the frag tank. One of them came from a groupbuy we did with Nick at Rosecity. We lost one of them when it jumped out. We do have covers but it found a way out anyway but we were able to pair it up with the ORA clownfish we got from Isaac from TCM which originally came from Wegotjs. Beth put this cup in there to save all the free floating zoas but they thought it made a nice home.(laugh)The camera did do a nice job getting this picture as all the lights were still off in the tanks.

DSC_0001NEF.jpg

DSC_0002NEF.jpg

The Picasso and Platinum (aka The Socs) still keep to themselves and alternate between hosting the duncan and the purple LTA

DSC_0045NEF.jpg

DSC_0047NEF.jpg

DSC_0108NEF.jpg

DSC_0117NEF.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
WOW! Great Clowns! looks like they really love their house.

Thanks! I need to post more updates. I didn't like the Nikon I bought to replace my stolen camera but I finally got a replacment similar to my old one. It's not as nice as the Nikon but I'm used to the settings! :)

Tank update

Took some pictures today! The tank is having a little bit of a cyano and algae problem. We had the vortechs off which the anemones loved and were well expanded but the negative effects were that I was having more detritus collect so decided to turn the vortechs back on. I did lose one of the Socs last weekend...(sad) Of course the most expensive fish, the platinum died. Not sure what the problem was. He was fine in the morning and laying on his side with labored breathing by the afternoon. All the other clowfish look fine though. The 2 platinums in the sump are content to just lounge in their little anemone.

DSC00456ARW.jpg

DSC00458ARW.jpg

I really love this Elegance coral I have had for a while (drooler) I got this from Shaun Monahan. He knows his corals and has a great taste. I had also heard these could be sensitive but he assured me it would do well and it has. I have been able to still keep a fair amount of corals. As the anemones really do not venture much into the sand bed and the maxi minis don't seem to move around much. The Tyree baby's breath favia fell into it and stung half of it. That Elegance packs quite a punch. It also took out part of my german blue polyp digitata!

DSC00464ARW.jpg

DSC00463ARW.jpg

DSC00467ARW.jpg

Top down of the flower pot I got from Shaun Monhan. He swore to me that it was a hardy one and it has done well and doubled in size. I will never doubt you again Shaun!(rock2)

DSC00479ARW.jpg

For the most part everyone is getting along really well

DSC00465ARW.jpg

DSC00466ARW.jpg

Still loving this tank. Wednesday it is going to get a frag tank plumbed into it to simplify life even more. I would love to add a sunburst or starburst anemone (drooler) at some point but I have to save up the money. Nick at Rosecity had a gorgeous big sebae anemone that I was also looking at today. (drooler) He's making an anemone tank too!

That tank looks amazing

Ever since the meeting at your place I have been serching for a Elegance coral like yours (drooler)......... sooooo pretty. Haven't found one as nice yet that was as nice but the hunt goes on. (plotting)

Are the clowns showing any aggression now that they are settled? Or is there peace in the tank?

That tank looks amazing

Ever since the meeting at your place I have been serching for a Elegance coral like yours (drooler)......... sooooo pretty. Haven't found one as nice yet that was as nice but the hunt goes on. (plotting)

Are the clowns showing any aggression now that they are settled? Or is there peace in the tank?

Yes that Elegance was cherry picked by Shaun Monahan. I was told if I ever sold it (not intending to) he gets dibs. There really isn't much aggression just the normal pecking order over the anemones. There are a few more clownfish that show a little more dominance but they really are getting along well so far.

Now that I see your tank I can't wait to get mine started with some anemones and memos. Very nice tank!

I can't wait to see what you come up with Titus! Did you find any anemones?

Update Tanks all Plumbed togetherShout out to MattV and Tanktop74

Shout out to Beth (Tanktop) and Matt (Mattv). Frag tank is plumbed together! This was a 2 part project! If you have plumbing questions Beth and Matt can chime in because when she starts talking about drains and pipes I start doing this....(bored) but really it's more like (huh)

We have been trying to make things a little simpler and just have one system to maintain. The first step was selling the other 150 gallon. Then we moved the frag tank over. Well okay okay, Beth and Matt moved the frag tank over!(laugh) We also moved the 100 gallon rubbermaid tub where the frag tank and it is hooked up to our RODI unit. Water changes are going to be a breeze now! (clap)

The first part was done a couple of weekends ago. Matt came over and helped as long as he could but Beth pretty much did this entire project all by herself! Way to go!(clap)(clap) She was sore for days!

The not so fun part of emptying the tank but they were like a well oiled machine getting this done!(clap) Neither one was too thrilled about the photop opportunity they provided!(laugh)

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

Moving the sump in place that Matt built for us. If you need any sump/acrylic work done! Matt does a good job! He built the stand for the sump to sit on for us too and helped Beth with the preplumbing planning but she came up with the design!(clap)(clap)

DSC_0010-1.jpg

Matt came prepared. We forgot about Daylight savings time and that oh so crucial lost hour!DOH!(laugh)Nothing a few Cokes and an energy drink won't fix!(laugh) I was assured by Beth that in order to do a plumbing project correctly.... you have to make a really big mess! (laugh)

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

Matt came prepared. He has a lot of nice equipment!(clap)

DSC_0006.jpg

Everything is in place and lined up. Let the plumbing and drilling begin!(rock2)(rock2)At this point Matt had to go and Beth plumbed the main tank to the new sump

DSC_0003.jpg

This is Beth rehanging and wiring all of the aquacontroller items

DSC_0014.jpg

She put in check valves in case of a power outage tested and did a great job!(clap)

Part II! Matt came over Wednesday and helped with plumbing the frag tank. It really did not take them to long and they did a great job!

Having the sump outside makes for much easier access and an easier way to store the frag plugs

DSC00498ARW.jpg

DSC00499ARW.jpg

Woo hoo! We now have one all in one quieter system! It was tested for a power failure and all worked perfectly! The calcium reactor is going in the frag tank stand where the sump is. Anyone need a nice little sump? All that is left to do hook up the calcium reactor and any other equipment we need.

DSC00509ARW.jpg

DSC00507ARW.jpg

There you have it great job Beth and Matt!

Hey Great narrative you did on the project Kim!! Thanks for all the kudos!

One think you forgot to mention is the tank is now QUIET!!!!(clap) You can actually talk on the phone in the fish room now!!!

And I have a lot of wiring to clean up there!DOH!

Thanks Matt for all your help and information! I couldn't have done it without your help!!!(highfive)

Hey Great narrative you did on the project Kim!! Thanks for all the kudos!

One think you forgot to mention is the tank is now QUIET!!!!(clap) You can actually talk on the phone in the fish room now!!!

And I have a lot of wiring to clean up there!DOH!

Thanks Matt for all your help and information! I couldn't have done it without your help!!!(highfive)

Why you're right I did forget to mention how quiet they made it too! That's one of the most important parts. Our fish room sounded like Niagra falls and you could hear it all the way upstairs. Now it is so quiet! Those Dursos are awesome!

Great job, looks great! Is the sump still under the main tank in use?

What are the dimension on the sump under the frag tank I could use a new sump :)

The sump under the main tank is staying.

The one under the frag tank is a nice one. It has a little refugium on top of it that comes off and on. I don't know if you can see it.

The main sump is 30"L x 12"w x 20"H The little refugium that sits on top is 23"L 6" W x 8"H

• 2 weeks later...

Updates

So I picked up another nice anemone from Garrett at the Premium Aquarium Those of you who are trying your hand at a Clownfish/Anemone tank should check with him. So far he has had the nicer bigger sized ones and his prices can't be beat! There is too much flow for the smaller nems in our tank as they seem to end up in the overflow..DOH! SO we try to get the bigger ones when we can find them!

The Clownfish immediately took to it! It was like Christmas for them!This orange and white made an immediately beeline for it! (laugh)

DSC00650ARW.jpg

DSC00639ARW-1.jpg

DSC00642ARW-1.jpg

DSC00643ARW-1.jpg

I got this Green one from Golden Basket a few months ago but I was feeding it and letting it grow and get bigger in the frag tank. It actually so far has stayed right where I put it. (fingers)

DSC00653ARW.jpg

DSC00687ARW.jpg

Still loving the tank. One of the Orange and Whites must have hit a maxi mini because he looked like he had a hard night of drinking and a bar fight DOH! he had some white scarring and was missing part of his fin but he looks great now!(clap)(clap) Tank raised ocellaris can be so hardy!

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I updated. Here's some pictures I took today! Sadly the Picassos disappeared without a trace. I suspect the maxi mini was the culprit...(sad) I will probably try to add some smaller ones later. Down to 8 clownfish now in the main tank

DSC00985ARW.jpg

DSC00988ARW.jpg

New addition nice purple tip anemone! This one was wild caught and I had it sequested and was directly feeding it to let it acclimate and settle and grow. I find better luck with that then putting them directly in the main tank

DSC00994ARW.jpg

DSC00998ARW.jpg

Yellow tang was feeling left out!

DSC00999ARW.jpg

DSC01006ARW.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Few additions!

Well I think we are set for anemones now. Got one from Pantherguy. A nice one from Garrett after the meeting and had one from Goldenbasket.

DSC01184ARW.jpg

Here's a few closeup shots:

DSC01197ARW.jpg

DSC01198ARW.jpg

This is the nice one I got from Garrett last weekend! He always has a nice selection of anemones:

DSC01203ARW.jpg

DSC01204ARW.jpg

You can see the one I got from David (Pantherguy) way in the back. The anemones love the middle of the tank.

DSC01207ARW.jpg

DSC01211ARW.jpg

DSC01220ARW.jpg