Hey Just had a ?

Jeramy

So I was looking for some insite. When you quarantine a fish I see that most people treat with copper or hyposalinity. My question is if the fish is not sick would it not make more sense to not put the stress on it by treating for somthing that may not be there?

Thanks for your time=)

I've personally never quarantined fish in the 15 years I've been doing this. The only time I've had an issue was with a Petco coral beauty, which I'm pretty sure was poisoned in order to catch in the first place. Buying from any of our local reputable salt water fish stores in town is pretty dang safe I believe. Just my opinion though.

You are correct Jeramy these treatments can potentially add stress to the fish and that's one of the risks with using copper. Every new fish I get, I first put in the frag tank. Sometimes they do get stressed or it looks like they are getting ich but then they get better. I'm using the quarantine method more though simply to keep from introducing a fish that ends up spreading something that wipes out the entire population.

Archived