Is this a pest?

J-Dog

Can anyone tell me if this is the issue with my birdsnest? I took a closer look today and saw these spots all over the coral. I still haven't figured out what's causing some of my SPS to die lately, but maybe this is it. Please let me know.....

IMG_1963.jpg

They are not fun-it sucks to say the least

I have dipped frags from local reefers to frags I have got from stores and have had AEFW come flying off-Trust nobody, and not because they are untrustworthy-they DONT KNOW.

You should absolutely NEVER put a frag in your tank that you have not dipped-I've learned the hard way

If you see the eggs that coral needs to be cut above the dead area, frag it where its still alive dip it insomething, I use CoralRx but there are plenty of dips-google it

I used flatworm exit by salifert back when I had them and I bought a yellow corris wrasse and a malenarius- I have since dipped colonies that had been infected and no bugs and no visible death-it usually happens from the base up.

Good luck-and if anyanyone has bought acros from you, you should warn them

Its not AEFW. Its hard to tell from your pictures if you have the same but we see tiny black dots that show up on areas of corals that recently died. I believe we found info online somewhere that they were a tiny snail that consumed the dead tissue. It was a while ago and I can't find the link. Would still be a good idea to dip until you confirm an ID but definately not AEFW.

They are not fun-it sucks to say the least

I have dipped frags from local reefers to frags I have got from stores and have had AEFW come flying off-Trust nobody, and not because they are untrustworthy-they DONT KNOW.

You should absolutely NEVER put a frag in your tank that you have not dipped-I've learned the hard way

If you see the eggs that coral needs to be cut above the dead area, frag it where its still alive dip it insomething, I use CoralRx but there are plenty of dips-google it

I used flatworm exit by salifert back when I had them and I bought a yellow corris wrasse and a malenarius- I have since dipped colonies that had been infected and no bugs and no visible death-it usually happens from the base up.

Good luck-and if anyanyone has bought acros from you, you should warn them

+1 for that!!!

A few years ago when i discovered I had AEFW it was because they took down my green birdsnest first. I dipped it and had a bunch come off.

I hope thats not what you have, but it sure looks like thats what it is.

Check your other SPS, starting with green slimer or valida. Look on the undersides of branches for small bite marks. I have a great picture from when i went thru it, let me see if i can find it.

Archived