Foam under acrylic tanks?

R-3

Ive always had glass tanks so I have never had to put anything under it. I've seen people put foam under an acrylic tank and wonder if it is necessary. Also what kinda foam to use? How thick? Later Ryan

I highly recomend foam under an acrylic tank. I did not on my first one and regreted it. You still need a good flat stand, but the foam helps with minor imperfections. You can get some at Home Depot or Lowes. It really does not need to be very thick. 1/2" - 1"

Had a few acrylic tanks, my step father has a had many tanks, and his friend has had many...no foam what so ever...I really feel that this whole foam thing with acrylic tanks stemmed from some horror stories...you still need a flat and level stand. last time I checked almost every fish store with acrylic tanks does not have foam, I am not saying that they are the right way to do things, but it goes to the fact that they have many tanks, with different ages and most have not had an issue.

I recommend it often as I cannot see how well a stand is made but if the platform that the tank is sitting on is flat and smooth, and the tank sits well - there's really no reasoning behind foam. I've yet to see any acrylic tank failure that could be even remotely attributable to the lack of foam and I've never used it on any of my tanks except for a thin layer of buna. I'd much rather see someone true their stand than add a layer of foam.

Thant said, I can see it for temperate tanks for the insulative value.

James