red SPS

J-Dog

I don't know if it's just me, but for some reason I can't keep any of my red SPS pieces to keep their color. Like all my other corals, the reds have great PE, look healthy, and grow like normal, they just don't keep any color. None of the other colors have this issue, just my Sailors Warning and Red Planet. I have one high and the other in the middle, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. Does anyone else have this problem? Or am I doing something wrong? (scratch)

Its probably the lighting in your red sea system. It is strong enough to keep stuff alive but the reflectors in it just aren't quite enough to give the sps what they really need to thrive. I have only seen it once but if I am not mistaken the bulbs are kinda close together and they all share the same reflector. Individual reflectors make a big difference in light output, thats one of the biggest differenced between a quality light fixture and a less than great one. With t-5's the reflectors do a LOT of the work.

Would adding some LED's boost up my watts and help improve coloration? I can't do much in terms of modifications, but I might be able to add some LED's into my hood. So I would have a combination of T5's and LED's......I'll try to do some research to see what kind of options are out there for a Red Sea Max 250.

Archived