A video of my sump and cheato cleaning.

Phil D. Bowl

I didn't even know I needed to clean out the macro algea DOH!

How do you keep your pod population healthy when you do this? (scratch)

You don't..... I would think he's getting rid of all the good stuff by washing it.

Phil, you may be doing more harm than good?

Tank and setup do look good. Keep up the good work.

You couldjust do half of it, that would help the pods...the goal would be to remove some chaeto too...nutrient export. Also, not to be nit-picky, but chaeto is from a Latin word, therefore the English 'ch' sound doesn't exist, it's pronounced key-tow-more-fa, or key-tow for short

while I'm at it (not based on your video), halide is pronounced 'hay-lied'. I've heard it pronounced a few ways before...

I have rinsed my macro algea ball a few times cause it in the middle of my filter and it kinda collects alot of detrius. I also remove abouthalf of it when I do this ina shallow bucket of water then any pods that are in there i can scoop out and put em back in =)

I have rinsed my macro algea ball a few times cause it in the middle of my filter and it kinda collects alot of detrius. I also remove abouthalf of it when I do this ina shallow bucket of water then any pods that are in there i can scoop out and put em back in =)

Good idea!

It seems like i need to wash this stuff out all the time... it acts like filter floss in my sump... maybe because (as you can see) my sump is an open tank... i need some sort of sock or chamber with mechanical filtration before my cheato bed...

You couldjust do half of it, that would help the pods...the goal would be to remove some chaeto too...nutrient export. Also, not to be nit-picky, but chaeto is from a Latin word, therefore the English 'ch' sound doesn't exist, it's pronounced key-tow-more-fa, or key-tow for short

while I'm at it (not based on your video), halide is pronounced 'hay-lied'. I've heard it pronounced a few ways before...

:) noted... ive only ever read the word Cheato so i had no idea! .... but a ton of people say halide the way ive said it in the video so i would have never guessed. thanks for the constructive feedback.

if your in a local fish store the employees arent sure about the haylied lights and keytow you should revert back to your original pronounciations:).a filter sock that is frequently changed will solve most of this problem along with some regular chaedo harvesting.swishing the chaedo in a bucket of tank water is onw way to get rid of the real nasties.

now that i think about it... the guy at my LFS did call it Chay-toe a few times when i was first getting my sump put together. i couldn't remember the name of "the macro algae thats all curly and isnt toxic when you cut it?!" and he belted out "Chay-toe"..... go figure ... its the only store around too so i don't blame him!

i wanted to add something to..

i have an acrylic sump that im going to be cutting apart this weekend. ill use it to make some baffles ( or what ever you call them ) in the sump. i should be able to section off a point for mechanical filtration and possibly reduce the need to wash my cheato. ( thanks to opinions and advice from the forum ) I still do think it was the right thing to do at the time... that trapped debris was just feeding the cheato trapped nutrients rather than letting it work for it and pull it out of the water column. but then again i guess i never considered my cheato a breeding ground...

now that i think about it... the guy at my LFS did call it Chay-toe a few times when i was first getting my sump put together. i couldn't remember the name of "the macro algae thats all curly and isnt toxic when you cut it?!" and he belted out "Chay-toe"..... go figure ... its the only store around too so i don't blame him!

i wanted to add something to..

i have an acrylic sump that im going to be cutting apart this weekend. ill use it to make some baffles ( or what ever you call them ) in the sump. i should be able to section off a point for mechanical filtration and possibly reduce the need to wash my cheato. ( thanks to opinions and advice from the forum ) I still do think it was the right thing to do at the time... that trapped debris was just feeding the cheato trapped nutrients rather than letting it work for it and pull it out of the water column. but then again i guess i never considered my cheato a breeding ground...

All wise, I think. if it's that nasty, it probably does need a cleaning...but the best solution would be (as badX said) to filter the debris as it enters the sump with a sock. should get rid of the cleaning necessity.

and about the lfs saying chay-toe...I don't blame them, or you or anyone else. I only new it because I have a degree in biology and latin roots and things are such a big part of that...no worries.

Archived