Dragonet's

Jeramy

I am just throwing this out there, I have seen a lot of varring opions on what size of tank is needed and how old that tank needs to be to sucessfully keep mandarin dragonets. It has always been the one fish I have always wanted to keep. About nine years ago I ran out and foolishly bought one with no research as to its care requirements and I starved it to death. Very sad. I want some time in my reef keeping future to keep a fat and healthy mandarin. So I am trying to figure out how big of a tank I need to plan on having to make that dream a reality. I would set the system up with the main goal being keeping a mandarin alive. So no other fish that eat pods as a stapple in their diet and a very large fuge to help breed the pod population. How much swimming room do they need and how much rock should they have? =) thanks and have anice day!

Its more about the rock than gallonage. They need mature quality rock and sand to promote their foods. I would say maybe a 40 gallon minimum give or take with a lot of liverock (40-50lbs). The other big thing to consider is to purchase a good specimen. Unfortunately, many come in on the verge of death. Get a fat active one. As far as age of the tank. Give it a few months to really settle in and develop a stable population of critters to eat

How do u get a mandarin to eat other foods besides pods? People say Garrett gets his to eat frozen foods......do u need to put the fish in a tank with no pods and only offer it other foods in order for it to accept them?

Get lucky... LOL seriously though there is a lot of info on the web; some say a net breeder (like you use for guppies) can be used to get them eating. The basic theory behind the net breeder is that when you offer frozen they will not be able to miss it and eventually will learn it is food. I kept one for a long time on a diet of live brine, I could never get him to take frozen though. I would see him put the frozen in his mouth, but he would always spit it out.

Honestly I think that most mandarins who live in captivity are eating food that is being Introduced into the tank. I know they eat pods but I don't think many tanks actually have enough pods for them to survive on. Unfortunately almost all mandarins will never eat prepared foods and will simply starve to death. I have seen them waste away at LFSs and I would never want to witness in my own tank, way to depressing. :(

Archived