Hawaiian Water Trip!

Ron Popeil

i was in hawaii last week and took as many pictures as i could. i stayed in kihei, maui and rented an underwater camera for the trip. it was really exciting for me since i hadnt been in hawaii for over 15 years. Ulua Beach was my favorite. you merely walked right out in to the ocean and boom. there was the reef. completely oblivious to the swimmers, beach tanners and hotels and cars going on just outside. it was great.

pencil urchins everywhere. long spine urchins everywhere.

DSC07337.jpg

rock boring urchins. everywhere. i didnt want to touch any of the rock work because....these guys were in every crevice. over every piece of rock. same with those saddle wrasses and lavender tangs.

DSC07353.jpg

here is the only hawaiian cleaner wrasse i saw. with a moderate school of...whatever fish these are.

DSC07354.jpg

they let me get pretty close.

DSC07371.jpg

a hawkfish!

DSC07380.jpg

ornate angels! these are simply stunning fish. always in pairs. always so fun to follow around.

DSC07393.jpg

ok, so not technically IN the water. but this guy was a lot of fun. there are thousands of little crab holes all over the beach. and if youre still they come out in droves. but they all know which hole they crept out of and can rocket back inside at ridiculous speeds. this guy was huge and i kept him out of his hole for a picture before he could dive back in.

DSC07409.jpg

zebra moray!

DSC07417.jpg

just snorkeling about one day, and some kayakers told me they had just seen a turtle. i found him!

DSC07432.jpg

the farther out i went, the cooler stuff i found. like this sleeping turtle!

DSC07445.jpg

he didnt mind me swimming around him.

DSC07447.jpg

this parrot fish glowed like no other fish on the reef. a florescent color that almost seemed to glow.

DSC07475.jpg

it is not easy holding your breath, swimming downwards, finding a fish, having the fish swim in one place, struggle to stay underwater, and try to take a picture before you asphyxiate. but this fish was a true gentleman and very patient with me.

DSC07486.jpg

DSC07487.jpg

saddle wrasses. everywhere. and female bird wrasses. also everywhere.

DSC07491.jpg

long nose butterflies.

DSC07493.jpg

uh oh!

DSC07494.jpg

i asked if these were a problem here. but apparently they are not. the dive guy said in hawaii, these crown of thorns tend to eat the dead or dying corals.

lots of porites with christmas tree worms on them.

DSC07522.jpg

i was happy i got this little fish in there.

DSC07552.jpg

more turtles! but closer!

DSC07527.jpg

pink tail triggers. the pink in their tales is very bright underwater.

DSC07534.jpg

racoons!

DSC07536.jpg

super blue male boxfish! another fish who's colors were very intense even underwater.

DSC07537.jpg

bryzoans maybe?

DSC07554.jpg

a special prize if someone cant point out the star of this photo.

DSC07564.jpg

DSC07565.jpg

this guy was basketball sized.

DSC07566.jpg

another zebra moray right next to the angler.

DSC07567.jpg

when all of a sudden…..

DSC07571.jpg

out of the reef comes this big old manta ray. the dive instructors were so excited afterwards. they have each other high fives and hooted. apparently they don't see mantas very often in this part of the reef.

DSC07574.jpg

completely unconcerned with the four scuba divers. the ray would circle around us, flowing in slow motion, disappear for a while and then come right back around.

DSC07575.jpg

a little white tip reef shark that the divers had been watching for the last three months. apparently he has slowly outgrown this little crevice he's been utilizing.

DSC07568.jpg

saw several sizes of these white mouth morays. this one was probably the largest.

DSC07580.jpg

i don't know how the dive master found this guy in the tiny hole he did, but here he was after inking and being flushed out.

DSC07584.jpg

such great colors. and all of them flashing and pulsing as he sat exposed.

DSC07587.jpg

this was a real treat. banana moray!

DSC07589.jpg

my girlfriends snorkel at molikini crater. the boat crew eventually went after it. but it was deep here.

DSC07607.jpg

right near the edge of the rim.

DSC07618.jpg

squirrel fish!

DSC07621.jpg

DSC07630.jpg

for all the reading i had done on achilles in aquariums, this completely surprised me. i knew they needed aggressive water flow and highly oxygenated water. but this….was intense.

DSC07623.jpg

so beautiful.

DSC07625.jpg

at times these fish were a foot under the surface. i thought for sure waves would wash them up on land. they never strayed farther than this zone of the crater.

DSC07627.jpg

grouper!

DSC07638.jpg

i believe this guy was called a giant moray. and he was.

DSC07640.jpg

he was deep. i don't think anyone else saw him. but this was as close as i wanted to get. with me flopping around down there, he looked easily agitated.

DSC07644.jpg

PINK!

DSC07645.jpg

these guys were frequently seen. i loved them because they always swam on their sides, nervously observing you while trying to pretend they were going about their business. they look like a trigger…but clench their tail like a tile fish.

DSC07651.jpg

DSC07652.jpg

a big skate showed up.

DSC07675.jpg

DSC07677.jpg

this was at "turtle island". everyone else was off looking for turtles….i found this little guy.

DSC07685.jpg

heres the varieties of colors for these stylophora colonies. i believe they're stylophora.

DSC07687.jpg

more turtles!

DSC07689.jpg

DSC07691.jpg

DSC07692.jpg

the whole trip, these were the only fish that absolutely did not want me anywhere near them. all the other fish were cautious, but these orange shoulder tangs….absolutely wanted to get far far away. they were also as fat as footballs.

DSC07707.jpg

lounge chair cushions out in the reef.

DSC07714.jpg

i was in about 10 feet of water when i see this little guy. slowly plowing through the sand. surrounded by endless sand in every direction. he wasn't alone though. he had a juvenile razor wrasse as a companion. he's currently buried directly above the crab, and when the coast was clear….would poke just his head up and look around like a snake.

DSC07745.jpg

at least, i thought he was alone until this guy appeared and disappeared.

DSC07742.jpg

i have to get at least one shot of these hawaiian staples in…

DSC07398.jpg

at least a foot and a half long.

DSC07443.jpg

there were hundreds more, but these were some of the best shots from the trip. thanks for looking!

the camera was only 60 bucks for the week! i wasnt entirely convinced it was going to take any sort of clear photographs. but i was very pleasantly surprised. took video too! however, i didnt do much with it. i should have, but it was easier for me just to take a million pictures than take the time to switch to video mode and potentially miss the moment.

and one is not as angelic under the water as you would think.

Just takes some practice ;)

Looks like you got to see a lot more corals then I was able to in Ohahu. I was shocked as well at how turbulent some of the waters were where the fish were living. Fun stuff though.

Archived