Can always count on one thing to die after a road trip!

Emerald525

We just got back into town late last night and as usual something died.DOH! I don't know why or how the tank knows but came back to a nice shiny white monti cap that was formally green with red polyps. We were only gone 4 days but it never fails! Fortunately everything else looks fine. Including the growout zoas for those involved in those.(naughty) It usually is one sps that goes which is why our sps tank is going to be a clown anemone tank.

Do other people notice this when they are gone?

If it's not a fish, it's a coral (scratch).......I've had a few frags getting RTN lately and I have no idea why (and I haven't even been gone). No trips planned in the near future, so I guess everything else will be safe :p

Just got back from Vegas for 4 days. Nothing died, but I had a friend checking the tank daily. Of course the night before I leave my alkalinity droped from 10 dkh to 8. It was dropping like a rock and it's all because I tried to fix something that wasn't broken the day before. Luckily for me, he's a smart guy and has interest in the hobby, but no money to make it work, so he did testing and adjusting while I was gone. I can't believe everything is still ok. Alk swings seem to be a great way to kill sps. Lesson learned...... Don't fix it, if it's not broken Doh!

THat is a great lesson John. Don't make any changes the few days before you're just asking for trouble. Having an aquacontroller will help and also if a relative not in the hobby is watching the tank provide them with numbers from members on the forum to help bail them out if needed.

I never leave for this reason. (scary)

+1 I just don't leave, and I'm getting my 9 year old a tank for x-mass gussied as a gift but really so I can train her to be the second pair of eyes watching the tanks. Might take a year or so to get her there, but I have high hopes.

This always happens to me, either something dies while i'm gone or something fails in the hours before we leave. ALWAYS. (flame)

Sorry to hear Kim, I think Jody has some of that monti ;)

No worries Miles. I actually have more in the other tank that is doing well. I was actually thinking of donating that cap or auctioning it for TFT funds but oh well.... It was a small price to pay for a wonderful trip. I just find it interesting that it happens every time.

For some unknown reason the tank just kept draining past the overflow box and my son woke up to 75 gallons of water surrounding him this morning. If it wasn't for the soaked carpet I would be laughing my butt off. Oh well. Nothing died and mike is playing with the tank to find out what happened. Sure is fun having fish in the house.DOH!(laugh)

Archived