A Freshwater Cichlid Guy on PNWMAS... Yeah, seriously.

aclockworkorange

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to jump in here and introduce myself. I am a freshwater hobbyist that primarily keeps and breeds Central American cichlids. I have close to 6,000 posts on MFK. This year I have spawned six species, and currently have around 7 tanks, 3 of which are currently running.

Here are two:

125:

86e367d3.jpg

90:

7a85cde9.jpg

Some fish...

48429d75.jpg

Nandopsis tetracanthus male

0fd7fced.jpg

Breeding pair

bcb967d6.jpg

Vieja argentea

2e407cab.jpg

Cryptoheros cutteri male

fdefa333.jpg

Black belt pair

So that's a bit of my world. I really like PNWMAS, I've bought several things from members here and everyone has been really nice. I am not interested in the saltwater hobby in my own home at the moment, but I enjoy learning about it and love to steal some filtration ideas for my bigger setups. :p

Obviously I will not be posting much as I don't have much to contribute to your side of the hobby, but I thought I would introduce myself as I do poke around the site from time to time. If anyone has any freshwater questions or is interested in cichlids, shoot me a PM.

Very cool! Good to have you on! Hopefully all of the color, movement and pure awesomeness of seeing all that is saltwater will help to convert you to the light side ;)

I used to breed African and Brazilian Cichlids, Convicts, and Jack Dempsies. Fun but I was never really addicted until I started my first Saltwater tank. That's when a brown substance hit the fan!

Hey clockwork.... don't worry, you're not the only cichlid guy hanging out here. I'm into African rather than CA/SA but haven't ventured into saltwater yet either. But this is a great community, I enjoy reading this forum more than any other. Have bought 2 tanks members here along with some equipment as well. And I'm all the way up in Seattle. :)

Welcome aboard!

Saw this guys setup first hand and its rad!

:)

Very cool! Good to have you on! Hopefully all of the color, movement and pure awesomeness of seeing all that is saltwater will help to convert you to the light side ;)

I used to breed African and Brazilian Cichlids, Convicts, and Jack Dempsies. Fun but I was never really addicted until I started my first Saltwater tank. That's when a brown substance hit the fan!

Maybe some day. Having way too much fun with my CA cichlids right now. I really like big aggressive interactive fish that I can breed, not sure how many SW species I could do that with. I like some of the groupers and triggers... Also it's all fun to look at with SW. ;)

Hey clockwork.... don't worry, you're not the only cichlid guy hanging out here. I'm into African rather than CA/SA but haven't ventured into saltwater yet either. But this is a great community, I enjoy reading this forum more than any other. Have bought 2 tanks members here along with some equipment as well. And I'm all the way up in Seattle. :)

Welcome aboard!

We just had a MFK meet with about 20 freshwater guys up in Seattle a couple months back. We still have nowhere near the community you SW guys do here in the NW. All the big American cichlid guys are back east.

And hey, African cichlids, you're half way there to salt already! :)

We just had a MFK meet with about 20 freshwater guys up in Seattle a couple months back. We still have nowhere near the community you SW guys do here in the NW. All the big American cichlid guys are back east.

And hey, African cichlids, you're half way there to salt already! :)

Yep, I'm in with that group, but I was moving that weekend so I couldn't attend. Plus you guys were mostly doing the big fish thing anyways. LOL

No kidding about being half way. But what I love about the saltwater guys is the precision and planning that goes into their tanks. I'm borrowing ideas from them left and right to improve my husbandry and reduce the effort it takes to be in the hobby.

Agreed ^^^^^

I to did African cichlids and they lost out to the brillance known as "Saltwater"

I think its a natural progression, 1st fresh water, than brackish, then salt.

Ans once you do salt there is no going back.

Some Africans where as much as much as some saltwater nut lacked the vivid brillance, plus all the Africans I had where nothing but attitude.

Fragging is easier than breeding-(laugh)

Trun to the darkside clockwork, you will be glad you did (clap)

There might be some thing to that. I have had fresh water for ever and have just ordered a new tank to go salt!

I could not bring my self to part with my fresh water friends. I have South American both angles and God Severum so I am new member to the two tank club(laugh)

Severum.jpg

I hope the photo works.

Agreed ^^^^^

I to did African cichlids and they lost out to the brillance known as "Saltwater"

Some Africans where as much as much as some saltwater nut lacked the vivid brillance, plus all the Africans I had where nothing but attitude.

I agree with u brad did the same but they are some cool cichlids out there as well & thanks for sharing the pics and welcome to the forum

Saw this guys setup first hand and its rad!

QFT, the foam backgrounds are pretty cool :D I really liked that tank he had with all the cory cats and tetras.

All you tropical guys back off, I'm bringing this guy over to the Coldwater Dark Side (flame) j/k

Yep, I'm in with that group, but I was moving that weekend so I couldn't attend. Plus you guys were mostly doing the big fish thing anyways. LOL

No kidding about being half way. But what I love about the saltwater guys is the precision and planning that goes into their tanks. I'm borrowing ideas from them left and right to improve my husbandry and reduce the effort it takes to be in the hobby.

Me too! I think a lot of it has to do with cost. You screw up a basic freshwater tank you lose maybe $20 worth of fish? Screw up a full on reef tank and... So you gotta know your stuff.

Agreed ^^^^^

African cichlids have the same non appealing characteristics that many saltwater fish have for me. I like fish with BIG personality, and I like fish that form pair bonds and breed. Many of the fish I raise are facing threats to their natural habitats and there's hardly anyone interested in breeding them in captivity compared to the SW hobby. I'm not against saltwater AT ALL, but I invite any of you to come watch my tanks for a while and tell me they're less entertaining than a SW tank... Lots of swimming, gill flaring, individual personality, owner recognition, food begging, and babies swimming around with parents defending them! Great stuff.

There might be some thing to that. I have had fresh water for ever and have just ordered a new tank to go salt!

I could not bring my self to part with my fresh water friends. I have South American both angles and God Severum so I am new member to the two tank club(laugh)

Severum.jpg

I hope the photo works.

Yeah it worked, looks nice! Gotta get you some CAs though. ;)

I agree with u brad did the same but they are some cool cichlids out there as well & thanks for sharing the pics and welcome to the forum

Thanks!

QFT, the foam backgrounds are pretty cool :D I really liked that tank he had with all the cory cats and tetras.

All you tropical guys back off, I'm bringing this guy over to the Coldwater Dark Side (flame) j/k

Thanks bud! Yeah, foam backgrounds are harder to do in FW by yourself because you don't get all that great algae growing on them and the rocks and critters and stuff. And I have no artistic talent in that regard.

Mine are all from a company called Designs By Nature. You guys can google it if you are interested, the company is in Salem. Or call Stuart and have him make you one. ;)

See thats why you gotta go Coldwater Marine' date=' if you screw up it only costs you a tank of gas ;)[/quote']

I did that a bit when I was a kid. ;)

Cichlids are a gateway drug...........I mean fish.

Funny enough, I didn't get into cichlids until about 5 years of keeping fish on my own.

Fresh Water we use that to kill things lol

That goes both ways bud. We use salt to treat for external parasites. ;)

I definitely got into this by cichlids. I enjoy the technical aspects of fish keeping that you just don't get with some freshwater fish (or saltwater)... but it sounds like you've found plenty of technicality that I never even looked for!

I've got quite the setup planned for my 225 gallon... Big sump, UV, automatic water change system, LEDs, 3D background, etc. Just need to get someone over here to help me move my 125 glass and 225 acrylic, they need to switch places and are about 15 feet away from each other. Any takers? :)

Archived