Iwaki pump is REALLY hot!!!

Tat2d

After firing up my system last night, I went back a couple of hours later to check on everything and found my Iwaki return pump was so hot I could not touch it for more than 5 or 6 seconds. I'm guessing that's not right. Pump runs very quiet and seems like it's working fine otherwise, but I'm pretty sure you could cook an egg on it.

I shut down the pump and put powerheads and heaters in the sump and display to keep all the rock happy while I try to figure this out.

Any ideas?

Is it a new pump or used ? Could be that ur over loading the pump if u have a gate valve on the output side. If u font maybe it's the barring going out but that would be a downer. Does it make any noise when running? Another thing could be power starvation, because oddly enough lack of watts causes things to overheat. I hope u figure it out soon

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=45.730137,-122.635266

I agree with serge. What kinda head pressure you putting on the pump? Try testing the temp with a infared thermometer. Then if you can let it cool(below the temp it was). Run it wide open with the shortest tube with no rise(ie short rubber hose back into the sump) test the temp again. If they are drastically different you may have found your problem. If no change I would suspect a bad bearing or worn part internally. Hope that helps.

I have an Iwaki for parts for free, it makes screaming noises. Tried to take the cover off to clean the fan (likely source of noise) but the screws were too rusty and dissolved. It's a MD 40RT. On the off chance yours is the same model, perhaps someone can combine the parts.

Kate

It's an MD20RXT. It ran very smooth and quiet, just got as hot as an engine block on a car. I don't think I was restricting it too much, just a standard AGA 3/4" return with flexible tubing in between. I took it apart to check, clean, and re-orient the output before installing it and it looked brand new inside. I made arrangements to return it and get my $50 back already.

Sweet I am just looking to try my hand a repairing some of these pumps and letting people use them as backups in case of emergency. Electrokate I will take yours of your hands try and repair it and if you need it or want it for a backup you can have it back. Or I will pass it along to someone in need. Figured it maybe a good way to return all the favors I have recieved from other members.

That is a great offer... you are welcome to it. Might be a fun experiment but it might also be done for as it's pretty old. Suspect the noise was from the fan having sucked in my hair, caught it doing that once. But it could be damage to the impeller or the motor itself. It never ran too hot, but definitely warm. I switched it with a Mag 12 which actually is too much for my sump, got microbubbles everywhere. It's always something. Not sure if an Iwaki 40 ought to be pushing less flow than a mag 12 on the same plumbing.

Kate

Archived