I've got bryopsis

J-Dog

Just got back from a few days in Northern Washington and realized that some bryopsis is growing on my neon candy canes! What do I do? I heard this stuff is nasty and that I need to nip it right away or it will take over a tank. Please help (sad)

Here is an updated picture....

IMG_1756.jpg

This is the only spot in my entire tank that has bryopsis

It can be a pain and it is hit or miss finding a fish or cleanup crew that will eat it. Raising your magnesium will help. If it is just in the one piece dipping in hydrogen peroxide for 60 seconds will kill it. This doesn't hurt zoas when I have done this but not sure how candy canes do.

It can be a pain and it is hit or miss finding a fish or cleanup crew that will eat it. Raising your magnesium will help. If it is just in the one piece dipping in hydrogen peroxide for 60 seconds will kill it. This doesn't hurt zoas when I have done this but not sure how candy canes do.

The only place I can find the bryopsis growing is on the stocks of the candy cane. I could probably dip them without getting any on the faces.....I will try it tonight and see if it works (scary) Thanks for the tip, Kim

emerald crabs and tangs work well in my experience. Some of the hardcore algae eaters like kole tangs and foxfaces do a good job too I hear

I've got an emerald crab, but I haven't seen him touch this stuff. Too bad I don't have any bristle tangs

How attached are you to the candy canes?

If it is a water quality issue, it will grow in other places very easily...if it was imported from another tank on the candy canes, I'd sacrifice them...

I have a kole tang who will nip at bryopsis...hermits may also clean it off too.

How attached are you to the candy canes?

If it is a water quality issue, it will grow in other places very easily...if it was imported from another tank on the candy canes, I'd sacrifice them...

I have a kole tang who will nip at bryopsis...hermits may also clean it off too.

That's the weird thing Isaac, the candy canes have been in my tank for almost 1 year. I have no water quality issues (nitrates 0, phosphates 0.00), this stuff just popped up while I was gone and I have no idea why it's growing on the canes. I will attempt to dip them tonight.....Kim, will the stuff die right away after dipping? I just hope I can get rid of this stuff quick

in my experience, raising your mangesium with kent tech-m works really well. Other magnesium supplements do not work as well as kent tech-m. This has been debated a lot here and I have found that other brands of mag don't work. There is some impurity in the kent stuff that does the trick. Also doing a 3-4 day blackout while dosing the kent stuff will help a lot too. Good luck with the bryopsis, I fought a HUGE battle with it about 5 months ago and havent seen any since. Knock on wood lol.

Well' date=' it looks like I no longer have bryopsis, but I also no longer have my neon green candy canes (sad)......FYI, don't dip canes into hydrogen peroxide DOH!. Live and learn[/quote']

Lol, good to know they don't survive hydrogen peroxide but better to get it out of your system.

Archived