Discovery channel show on fish hobby

reefboy

• 1 month later...

Ok anyone else watch the first couple shows? A little different then I thought it would be. Now looking back know other way they would have done it. After all I is for TV right? Why is everything "theam" based anymore? Why can't a fish tank just be a fish tank? Now I know how real motorcycle builders feel when watching OCC. Lol I have never really liked form over function. But that is just me.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I like the show, very entertaining, but yes I was hoping for more about the build and equipment they use, over the theatrics. They make it look like you just get a tank put the hose in it, add salt and then fish, instant marine aquarium. Oh and whare are the real corals?

I love the show but I do have to agree with Ed. There should be more "behind the scenes" footage. It would be cool to see what they use for equipment and dry goods as well as how much work actually goes into these tanks.

Still a fun show to watch!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

I found the show enjoyable. I have to admit I do watch reality tv all the time but in no way believe it is truly reality. I have been reading on other sites about how people have concerns with the fact that they dump a lot of fish in what appears to be a brand new tank , the fact that there was a bunch of sharks in a tank that was too small, and that the naso tangs in the the mob display had ich. I don't think they will do much with the behind the scenes equipment stuff because they are trying to appeal to a larger audience. I do think it will get more people interested in the saltwater hobby and next time I'm in Vegas maybe I will spend less time in the poker room and go see some of these new systems.

I've been watching the show. As with most TV I think they edit it to show what they want, I mean they have to be cycling these tanks & doing it right or they would not have lasted in business as long as they have.We as fish/reef geeks want to see the whole picture while most people would find it boring I'd think. I would really like to see more of the "life support system" as they call it. With no live rock I suppose it's just a filter & carbon. The thing I hate to see them doing is throwing a garden hose in a tank & using tap water to fill it (again I hope it's for TV only) I watch it just to see the tanks & builds, (kind of a video tank build thread) not being a reality TV fan I'm not sure how long I can hang with it.

I watched my first episode yesterday and couldn't stop laughing when the guy made his wife jump into the shark tank. And to top it off they gave her a broom handle and called it a shark stick. I agree I would love to see the rest of the build but I would think it would be boring for most people not in the hobby

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I dunno if they actually cycle the tanks and what not. Like the Mob tank build they had a hot water line.. which they had to sit there and cool it with ice then tossed the fish in. It seems weird to me they do these builds with that many fish. The phone booth tank in the peoples home was a little crazy. Tank had sooo many fish. Wouldn't that just create a bunch of algae? And it showed some of the filtration under the jukebox and it looked like a fluval 205 canister filter. I do like the tank builds and some of them would be awesome reef tanks lol just not to sure about the tap water lines. And what is with the obsession with babblers, I can't stand bubbles in my tanks lol

Edit: Also the car build where they put the snowflake eel in it.. don't those guys like rocks to hide in and hang out? The little guy looked like it was trying to hide by the glass but no where to go

• 2 weeks later...
I dunno if they actually cycle the tanks and what not. Like the Mob tank build they had a hot water line.. which they had to sit there and cool it with ice then tossed the fish in. It seems weird to me they do these builds with that many fish. The phone booth tank in the peoples home was a little crazy. Tank had sooo many fish. Wouldn't that just create a bunch of algae? And it showed some of the filtration under the jukebox and it looked like a fluval 205 canister filter. I do like the tank builds and some of them would be awesome reef tanks lol just not to sure about the tap water lines. And what is with the obsession with babblers, I can't stand bubbles in my tanks lol

Edit: Also the car build where they put the snowflake eel in it.. don't those guys like rocks to hide in and hang out? The little guy looked like it was trying to hide by the glass but no where to go

My guess is the lack of direct light keeps the algee down. At my work. (Big hospital) there are several "fish" tanks. People ask ehy there is so little light. They think it is to save electricity. I tell them so algee doesnt grow so fast if at all.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Did you guys watch the last one with the beer keg tank? It was a cool build but it was a fresh water tank and they did a coral insert??? I dunno was lame to me. Plus the fish they chose was chiclids, which like rock work with caves to hide out in. but I still like watching the show for the tank builds .

I've had at least 3 people come into the shop and say "Can I do _______ with my tank?" I say "No,"and they say "But they did it on that TV show." I had a guy come in looking for a shark I told him we can order one but I needed to ask him how big his tank was. He said that he didn't have one and that he was going to buy something this size (pointing at a 29g) to put it in. I basically told him the dealer was fresh out of sharks.

Tank had sooo many fish. Wouldn't that just create a bunch of algae?

Its possible they used UV sterilization as well. Fish only systems can be treated with all kinds of junk that reefs would never dream of touching. is it right? probably not but that doesn't stop alot of companies from doing things to make a buck. I personally don't like many of the builds they've done on the show but i have found their shop to be quite impressive and their largest tank builds on their website is pretty insane.

Archived