To all of you who read but do not post?

reefgeek84

To all of you who read but do not post?  

1. 1.

• I just like to read.
    • I am shy and do not want to post.
    • Nothing really entices me to post.
    • I have no time to get involved in posts.
    • I would if the right post came along.
    • I do not see the point in posting.
    • There is something that could change and them I would post, but you need to figure that out.
    • I do not know why I do not post.

I have noticed that there are alot of people who lurk but do not post much at all..I am wondering why? I know you will not post in here, but I did notice that more people voted then posted in the thread of my recent fish poll. So I am going to take a poll and see if we can get to the bottom of this with a poll, of at least a general idea...I would like to see alot more people posting...If you want to make it known why on a personal level, then you can PM me why, so maybe we can fix this and get more people to post. Or I am sure some of the board members might step forward to say it is ok to PM them and tell them why you do not post much.

10:1 lurkers to posters is pretty normal for an internet forum' date=' it feels like we're probably close to that.[/quote']

A "Lurkers Only" thread may be an incentive for first time Posters ...or would this be a thread that would just remain empty? This would be an area for people who have never posted previously (No Posters Allowed!), so I guess the regular posters would end up being the Lurkers there. No welcoming or comments from others... just a place to see if the Lurkers are still breathing. :D I think we just might be crazy enough to try something like this.(nutty) (naughty) (laugh)

I mostly lurk, and don't post a lot. Mainly it is because the information that I do know about reef tanks is about 10 years old (when I had to drain my tank to start raising children). So much has changed that I feel like a NOOB all over again. I am reading, learning, and trying to figure out who I should listen to, and who is full of themselves (and hot air). Before I do post, I try to search for the information that I want to know. I know I would get tired of every noob coming by and asking "what do you think of the XXXXX XXXXXX XXXXXXX piece of equipment?" When the same question has been asked 114 times in the past year alone.

There have been a couple of times that I have felt that there is something that I could contribute. I had a reef tank (if you can call it that) for 5 years before the kids came along. Also, I teach biology and chemistry, so I am not completely ignorant in the matters that are of interest to reefers. But textbook knowledge is different than the practical dirty hands knowing that is had by most people that have been around a while.

I will agree that this is a welcoming bunch, and very friendly. Much more so than the first two forums that I signed up for (ReefCetral- cannot search unless you pay money and Nano-Reef- Some rude people that need to grow up, but somewhat entertaining, and know A LOT!)

I still look forward to meeting more people from the area (Just met Nyles today in C&S, or was it Myles??? Whichever, once introduced by screen name, there was a big smile, and a friendly handshake. It was nice:) )

As I get to know you-all better, I'll probably post more. I already have plans to make it to the March 18 meeting.

Cheers :)

dsoz

I have 60 posts are so in 8 months, does that make me a lurker? I do read just about every thread on the boards. Most of the time I just don't see anything that entices me to respond or that I feel I could be of value to. I hardly have any really meaningful posts on this board mostly I think because the things that I am some what knowldegable about are not discussed here, or the question has already been anwsered. If the right subject comes along I chime in.

I do post frequently on other forums, have something like 15,000 posts over the last few years if you combine them up, just not so much here.

Nothing personal, I like all you guys, everyone who I have met has been great.

I have 60 posts are so in 8 months, does that make me a lurker? I do read just about every thread on the boards. Most of the time I just don't see anything that entices me to respond or that I feel I could be of value to. I hardly have any really meaningful posts on this board mostly I think because the things that I am some what knowldegable about are not discussed here, or the question has already been anwsered. If the right subject comes along I chime in.

I do post frequently on other forums, have something like 15,000 posts over the last few years if you combine them up, just not so much here.

Nothing personal, I like all you guys, everyone who I have met has been great.

This is good info....What kind of posts would get you to post more...

This goes for anyone, I would like to see what else people would like to see on here...maybe we need some new categories, like a seahorse one or a cuttlefish one...these are simply just instances...but maybe there is some stuff that might be of good discussion boost some "lurkers" into posters...

IMO It really depends on the topic of the thread. You can expect a complete different ratio post/lurk whether it is a descriptive thread (My tank blabla bla that will most likely allow anyone to comments on OOh and Ahhs, which will probably see high post/lurk) or a very technical post that will limit the input to the people who feel comfortable addressing the problem (this will probably yield low posting high lurking), or a DIY project where everyone can chime in (without the fear of sounding clueless) and ask questions or just a chat thread which could go about any possible way.

I know you mentioned you were just curious as to why few people were posting. And if you allow me I'll turn the question around ? In general are we not getting our $$ worth from people that are posting (i.e the forums are not serving their purpose)? Is there insufficient involvement that compromises the value of the threads with high lurking but low posting? What would more posting add that is missing from the current "behaviorial" posting?

I am a Nub here so my perception is obviously very fresh and based only on my visting this site over the last few months. In my limited time, I try to read as much (lurk) as I can, post only if I have a point to make or a burning question that I could not find an answer. I tried to avoid duplicate posting if someone has already spoken my mind. I agree with what someone stated clearly above, having 10% participation is actually what you would expect in the classroom..(laugh) For more on this topic see my comments in the general discussion forum "What do you want out of this club"

I see the "lurkers" post from time to time, when they have something important to add or say about a topic. I see other people that post " like raindrops falling from the sky" and wonder if talking about the hobby has taken the place of doing the hobby. I value our lurkers, because they are us. Long live the lurkers!!! R2R2

People have taken my point of this thread out of context...There is nothing wrong with lurkers, we are as a club are not suffering in any way because few people post and more people lurk.

I just would like to see more people get involved is all...just like everyone would like to see more people at meetings, I would like to hear what others have to say besides the few that post all the time (this includes me :D ) . No disrespect to anyone that does not post keep on lurking...I just like to hear from more people...like the old saying goes, the more people the merrier. :)

We want everyone to feel welcome here, regardless if they post or not. I think it would be great for everyone to at least make an introductory post.:) I have joined many other forums in the past, many of which I rarely post. Many forums require registering in order to even read the forums! I feel like I am forced to post at those sites occasionally by their reminder e-mails. (I.E. It's been awhile since you posted.)

One thing we would like to encourage is for more people to at least visit a meeting, and for for those that attend on a regular basis to bring a guest! In spite of any disagreements that sometimes occur online, we all manage to have a good time at the meetings!

Hi, my name is Mat and I'm a lurker (hidesbehindsofa) I've been lurking now for a couple years. I was social for 175 days, got a coin, but I''ve slipped back to.......oh, wrong forum!

Man, I feel like a peeping tom (jail)

Just kiddin, I don't post because I simply don't visit the site as often as I'd like to. I just don't have the time (taking 21 credits right now DOH! (help) )to follow through with a post. IMO, if you post, you usually should keep track of that post so if someone responds to you ( since you opened the door) you can respond back. I've felt bad so many times because I post, then get caught up in this game of life and check the post a week or two later only to see questions asked of me and ultimately a dead thread. I'm not saying this is alwasy the case but often is. However, I did put my first post up recently because I had this awesome worm ID sight bookmarked and someone needed a worm ID.

To be honest, I lurk here the most. This is a very peaceful group of people and I'm impressed that I haven't seen any flaming in the year I've been lurking (I definitely could have missed them if those type of threads are here) Several other threads that I've been have so many people full of themselves and are so quick to flame you. I'll be moving to either Eugene or Portland this summer and look forward to hopefully having enough time to join the meetings and getting to know everyone.

Regards

Mat

(rock2)

Like a lurker.....

Post for the very first time.

Like a lurrrrrrker.

With your post right....

next to mine. Whoooooah.

Your so kind. All the time.

I'll read yours.

I'm the next in line...

Oh you make me read.

Ya you maaaaake me read.

All the time.....

Like a lurker....

(Rim) (rock2)

So crazy, I heard "Like a Virgin" on an 80's station after posting ealier ("Madonna" for you young lurkers out there) and this post immediately came to mind......

Hey look at that, I'm at 4 posts now! Wow. Am I still a wukie?

(rock2)

Like a lurker.....

Post for the very first time.

Like a lurrrrrrker.

With your post right....

next to mine. Whoooooah.

Your so kind. All the time.

I'll read yours.

I'm the next in line...

Oh you make me read.

Ya you maaaaake me read.

All the time.....