To all of you new members...

Chief

Just curious...

We have been seeing a lot of new members to the website.

Could you let me know how you found out about the website/club. We are constantly looking for new ways to get the word out and I would like to know what is working.

Jay

Like i said chief' date=' no one is finding this club due to a web search...Our numbers would be alot higher with the home page being optimized. I am glad people are finding this site, but these numbers could be way higher with other things done or changed.[/quote']

Please give me some ideas. Like I have said before... I am no webmaster. I just pretend to be one ever day. (laugh)

Are you talking about some meta search descriptions? I am going to add this very soon. I am very open to more ideas. Just give me the info and I will incorporate it.

Jay

Please give me some ideas. Like I have said before... I am no webmaster. I just pretend to be one ever day. (laugh)

Are you talking about some meta search descriptions? I am going to add this very soon. I am very open to more ideas. Just give me the info and I will incorporate it.

Jay

You know it takes a teenager to know how to work technology. No disrespect to anyone who does computer work for a living. I can program a VCR (if we still had one) but making webpages is a level I have not gone to yet.

If you want, I can talk to my son and see what he can do. He is only 14 (soon to be 15), but he has already designed several web pages (school, church, friends, etc.) and has even been paid to set up one for some people selling puppies. He may know some things about what to do it increase visibility. He enjoys doing computer stuff like that. Let me know.

Cheers :)

Jay

Meta can be added, but google does not pay much attention to that any more, but I beleive that MSN and altavsita still do, the title tag should be changed with a good description, page content should be looked at it you should submit the landing page to search engines, a site map would be a huge help...these are just basics, there are so many more things...Chief, if you want to know more and want some help pm me and I will happy to help get this into the publics view when they are searching.

Like i said chief' date=' no one is finding this club due to a web search...Our numbers would be alot higher with the home page being optimized. I am glad people are finding this site, but these numbers could be way higher with other things done or changed.[/quote']

I think I found this club with a web search. I don't remember what I typed in though. Maybe pnw aquarium club or something like that.

I know I just kept asking people if they new of a club and finaly a clerk at a LFS told me to look on the internet it still took me about two weeks to find this one. the one I found first was saltwaterfish then RC and the were both overwelming to a computer iliterate like me. I'm glad I finaly found this site as what I realy wanted besides information was to meet other locals with like interests. and hope soon to meet more of you.

I got here from word of mouth through RC. I would think it has to be a web issue, the visibility is linked to the ease in finding this site on the net.

At one point I lost the site, could not even remember the "short and easy"DOH! name and tried to google it again and it was work to find it again.

My keywords search were combinations of: Reef, Reefing, club, Oregon, Pacific Northwest, hobby, aquarium, frags. None of them lead me directly to here.

It might be helpful to register the site with an extended list of keywords that are more likely to be used by hobbyist.

For instance I googled "Reef club pacific northwest". PNWMAS came at position 18 (page 2)

"aquarium hobbyist club northwest: comes on page 3

"Reef Club Oregon " is burried beyond page 5

This could be part of the problem

If you google PNWMAS this is what you get:

Welcome to the PNWMAS website

Forum, surveys, stories archive, and reviews. Site requires registration, which is free.

pnwmas.org/ - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

The keywords in bold seem to have nothing to do with aquarium, and it might be worth trying to change that line with some keywords that might make the search more direct.

I got here from word of mouth through RC. I would think it has to be a web issue, the visibility is linked to the ease in finding this site on the net.

At one point I lost the site, could not even remember the "short and easy"DOH! name and tried to google it again and it was work to find it again.

My keywords search were combinations of: Reef, Reefing, club, Oregon, Pacific Northwest, hobby, aquarium, frags. None of them lead me directly to here.

It might be helpful to register the site with an extended list of keywords that are more likely to be used by hobbyist.

For instance I googled "Reef club pacific northwest". PNWMAS came at position 18 (page 2)

"aquarium hobbyist club northwest: comes on page 3

"Reef Club Oregon " is burried beyond page 5

This could be part of the problem

If you google PNWMAS this is what you get:

Welcome to the PNWMAS website

Forum, surveys, stories archive, and reviews. Site requires registration, which is free.

pnwmas.org/ - 19k - Cached - Similar pages

The keywords in bold seem to have nothing to do with aquarium, and it might be worth trying to change that line with some keywords that might make the search more direct.

This is true and I am putting something together for chief, so when anyone searches oregon reef forum, or pacific northwest club, or the like there is alot to SEO and I do not have alot of time...so hopefully we will get this all worked out.

Other idea for increasing membership

Let's hope it does help with that one aspect of it.

Another radical/not so radical idea, is a combination of pieces that I have read on several threads with regard to: increasing traffic, role of LFS and whether there could be benefit for everyone.

So here is a scenario that you might have tried before and if you have then disregard, but by searching through this site I have found no previous thread touching on this, this way.

So here we go Buckle up! : Once a month a given LFS (agreeing to participate , TBD and rotating every month) will host a PNWMAS day with a specific discount (% off) on his store to all current registered members. On the special PNWMAS day (the x% off for members) will be advertised by a banner (maybe purchased by PNWAS in order to reuse from store to store) at the entrance of the store and a matching sign next to the cashier.

Existing members will be given a password or "MAGIC Word" like " ReefGeek" on this site the week before the event so that the LFS could be sure they are members.

Non members will not get the discount but will be given a PNWMAs business card from the LFS explaining how to become a member for free and receive members benefit in the future.

Why everyone wins (*Do I really need to go there?*):

The LFS might see an increase in traffic from members eager to get that frag they wanted, and who will be also more likely to return to the store because the LFS was just so AMAZING. The banner might also pull in non-members thinking they are coming for a great deal, and spending $$ anyway. = Increase TRAFFIC

The members get ...well... that seems pretty obvious (a decrease in the number of posts on this topic (wife) ) (laugh) = SHINY HAPPY People :D

PNWMAS gains potential new members (rock2) = More LURKERS (laugh)

there are variations of this of course, for instance the LFS could decide to only give discount on Live stock or chemicals or Any purchase above a magic number ($100) etc..

LFS could have the sale all day or between 12 and 4 pm. Now this is getting a little more stretched but someone could also ask a radio station to come goof off in front of the LFS during that time and have them advertise their show and free gift to everyone showing up at the store (like I have heard them doing many times on the radio( although I do not know if this might be a sponsoring/paying scenario to the station?). etc....Anyway does this sound far far away in a distant galaxy or close enough to what can done ? Pros/Cons?

At the end of the day

One big happy family.

Everyone says (Blue)Cheese (clap)